2000 Jetta Tdi Transmission question

creamycaesar1

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed, reflex silver
I am thinking of buying a 2000 Jetta TDI that currently needs a new transmission. It has a automatic right now but would want to swap it for a manual anyway. What is a average price for this?

The local guru charges $900 for a timing belt and vouched for the vehicle only needing a new transmission. He also said it would be $1500 for a used automatic one, but was not sure on the manual swap.

Any information on this would be helpful. Wanting to know if it is worth buying the vehicle.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Do you want a 5 or six speed? Go to the vendor section and look up ryanp 6 speed conversion. He sells the complete kit to do an auto to manual swap. I did 3 of them so far of which 2 of them were auto to manual swaps and wrote a "how to" on the process. I would certainly not go back to an automatic at any price.

As far as the car, depends on the mileage and how much money.

creamycaesar1

TDI
What's main difference between 5 and 6 speed. It would be my first vehicle that would be manual. I learn stick in the military but it's been awhile. I know manual is the way to go though.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Admittedly, I don't have first- hand knowledge of this.
From what I have read on here, auto to manual conversion (5-speed) seems to go for about $2500 total.
From what I have read on here, $1500 for a used auto is a conservative estimate (meaning, I'd expect the actual job to cost more). And remember- that only puts you back in the situation of waiting for the next auto to fail.
Wish you all the best !!

creamycaesar1

TDI
Boertje- Sounds like a damn good price. I dont know much about cars, but if this one I am looking at needs a new Automatic transmission, wouldnt I need something other then this conversion kit?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Look up ryanp, he can give you all the information you need.

Also, make sure you get a SMOKING deal on the automatic. The seller KNOWS how much it costs to get it running again, otherwise he wouldn't be selling it.

Make sure to tell him that you know it is going to cost $4,500 to get the transreplaced, then you have all the bargining leverage in the world.