Fluid/Lubricant guide

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Apologies if this is somewhere else in the thread. I looked for about 30 minutes and could not locate anything similar to what I’m looking for.

Does a fluid/lubricant guide for a model and year vehicle exist? Like a chart that would list ____ grease for door hinges, ______ grease for starter gears, _____ radiator coolant, etc. I’m combing through my owners manual, Haines, chitons etc. but wondered if something like this already was compiled on the forum. I have seen the individual threads that address specific issues. Just wondered if there was a master list out there.

Go easy on me. I have owned a TDI for 3 days and I’ve always been a Honda/GM guy up until now.

Cheers

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Engine oils

Just making you aware, if you have a 2005 TDi chances are you have a PD engine. Make sure you use the correct oil for it. It must be 505.01 or better.
PD engines have camshaft issues if wrong oil is used.

Here is a list with some fluid specs.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

Last edited:

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Just making you aware, if you have a 2005 TDi chances are you have a PD engine. Make sure you use the correct oil for it. It must be 505.01 or better.
PD engines have camshaft issues if wrong oil is used.

Here is a list with some fluid specs.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php
TG10,

Yeah I’ve read through the oil thread once and will definitely check with the brain trust before I put anything in the engine or fuel tank.

Just wondered if there was a source document for all the other fluids/lubricants that the car uses. Haven’t found it yet if it exist.

Thanks.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Honestly, does a GM door hinge vs. a VW door hinge require a different lubricant?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Honestly, does a GM door hinge vs. a VW door hinge require a different lubricant?
Possibly, yes. I know it sounds silly, but in some cases some types of lubricants do not work well with others, and some types do not work well with a specific surface they are going on.

And in the case of door hinges, perhaps a 2017 CTS has a VERY different design and requires something different than a 2005 Cobalt for best (intended) results.

They used to have a list in the owner's manual, but I do not think it is in there any more. I have not looked in a while. And in many cases, the stuff listed will be followed up with "or equivalent", which I would take to mean it isn't super specific anyway.

I always liken fluids in a car to paint: you can use latex to paint your house, or you can use an oil based type paint. Both can be the same color. Both can be formulated to work pretty good at the application. But you cannot MIX the two.