Considering a 2015

Diesel_K82

TDI
2004 Jetta
Anyone out there that has went from a BEW MK4 or ALH for that matter to a 2015 Jetta? We are really considering it. One reason is my wife really likes the MPGs of the TDI, but would really prefer a DSG. From a DSG standpoint I think getting ahold of a 2015 would have years of reliable operation if maintained. I also know that at 224k miles, while seemingly dependable I'm not sure I'd send my wife and son off in it for a long trip. Just curious, always appreciate the feedback from folks on this site.

Thanks!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We have two ALH's, but bought a 2015 GSW to become (her) daily driver. The ALH's were fine, but the initial deal on new 2015's sold in 2017 was too good to pass up. We've kept both ALH's, but that's not a knock on the 2015 (just a tribute to the ALH). Her MK7 GSW is a stick, so I can't speak to the DSG, but the car has been pretty amazing. It feels like a rocket compared to our unmodded '03's, and FE has been hovering around 46-47 hand calculated. It is also incredibly easy to live with both in the city and on long trips, handles great, and is fun to drive. The max FE will likely be a bit lower on the highway and in the winter (16k miles so far of observation), but the overall average seems like it will fall just under the ALH, which is amazing for the power, usable size, and increased weight. The GSW is MQB, and we stayed away from the Jetta and Passat on purpose, so other than test drives, I can't compare across models as well as many others. The Golf/GSW handle amazingly well. I would double check the threads on DSG's, as I know some owners have complained about shift points and such, but perhaps this has been fixed over time. There seem to be a number of "fixed" 2015's now available, if not always at the best prices or lowest miles. If there are any "new" ones out there, I'd say go for it. Jetta owners would have better advice than I about the used 2015 J/DSG models.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought a new stop sale left over 2015 Beetle also. Great car and 162k mile warranty on emissions stuff and more. The new ones are getting scarce but lots of turned in and fixed 2015's coming back out as well. I have had no issues with my DSG in this car or my old 2013 Passat. I bought up about 10 DSG service kits and with fluid and filter for $20 each and all the oil I could find back when I first got my car and people started turning theirs in. Makes servicing it much cheaper now.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I have a 2015 Golf SEL TDI and if given the choice id pick a golf or GSW over a Jetta due to the new platform. Yes the dsg has some shift point issues but there is a VCDS mod that helps with the issue. It doesnt cure it but it helps. Id say its 80% resolved. The issue is it wants to be in a high gear as much as possible. Itll shift up if it can get 1000 rpm in the next gear. Of course Sport mode helps but the VCDS mod helps even in D. The new dsgs and mech units seem to be alot better than the brm dsg i had. Shifts are smoother and no notchy 1-2 & 2-1shifts. If it wasnt for the eco shift points of the MK7 id say they did a good job builing on the car to a descent performance. With that said as soon as funds bevome available i will be gettin an ECU & DSG tune to refine everything. Then i could see owning this car for the long haul. Ofcourse ill have it paid off at right around 160,000 miles so at that time it may go "off road".

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I have a 2015 Golf SEL TDI and if given the choice id pick a golf or GSW over a Jetta due to the new platform. Yes the dsg has some shift point issues but there is a VCDS mod that helps with the issue. It doesnt cure it but it helps. Id say its 80% resolved. The issue is it wants to be in a high gear as much as possible. Itll shift up if it can get 1000 rpm in the next gear. Of course Sport mode helps but the VCDS mod helps even in D. The new dsgs and mech units seem to be alot better than the brm dsg i had. Shifts are smoother and no notchy 1-2 & 2-1shifts. If it wasnt for the eco shift points of the MK7 id say they did a good job builing on the car to a descent performance. With that said as soon as funds bevome available i will be gettin an ECU & DSG tune to refine everything. Then i could see owning this car for the long haul. Ofcourse ill have it paid off at right around 160,000 miles so at that time it may go "off road".
Is the shift point mod you refer to above the throttle mod change to “direct mode?” If something else, can you point me to the mod? Thanks!