TDI whoosh sound gone

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
Hi I know what causes the whoosh sound we all love, and I've been straight piped and enjoying it for a couple years now. But I almost never take the highway, my commute just doesn't require it. That being said, after taking the highway for the first time in a while, cruising at about 70mph (+/- 5 at times) I no longer hear it.. Lower rpms it seems to spool down slow enough to catch it, but I mean this ol girl used to sound like she was trying to do a Rick flare impression... WOOO!!! Loud as all hell. How all I hear is the turbo spool down.. Almost sounds quicker than normal too. Would this be because of sticky vanes? It's a stock VNT15. There is no shaft play whatsoever and the bearings spin freely, just checked because I was nervous. All I did was feel cold side of the turbo though.. Should I pop off the downpipe and throw in some oven cleaner? Would brake clean also be too aggressive? Thanks!

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
brake cleaner wont do jack
oven cleaner works so darn well.
i would test the actuator though, might be a bit sticky, if it fails the test, then your n75 valve might also be on the the way out as it can suck up bits of failing actuator rust.
food for thought.
start with some oven cleaner, have a garden hose nearby ready, that stuff will mess up paint and bare aluminum if left to soak on it.

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
brake cleaner wont do jack
oven cleaner works so darn well.
i would test the actuator though, might be a bit sticky, if it fails the test, then your n75 valve might also be on the the way out as it can suck up bits of failing actuator rust.
food for thought.
start with some oven cleaner, have a garden hose nearby ready, that stuff will mess up paint and bare aluminum if left to soak on it.
So testing the actuator shows a bad n75? Not a bad actuator? Also, what's the best way to test it?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
So testing the actuator shows a bad n75? Not a bad actuator? Also, what's the best way to test it?
You move the actuator though it's stroke with fingers or a tool if you can't reach it.
It should move freely without roughness or sticking. Just moving it a bit may free it.
If it moves freely see if it holds vacuum with a MityVac.
The N75 is easily tested and can be cleaned out if dirty with Dust-Off or low pressure air.

Last edited:

Tsasso

TDI
You move the actuator though it's stroke with fingers or a tool if you can't reach it.
It should move freely without roughness or sticking. Just moving it a bit may free it.
If it moves freely see if it holds vacuum with a MityVac.
The N75 is easily tested and can be cleaned out if dirty with Dust-Off or low pressure air.
And if it doesn't move at all?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
When you first start the car you should be able to see directly down to the actuator and watch the actuator suck in. Have some one else start the car so you can view this. If it does not suck in then pull the vac line for the actuator and pull vac with a mighty vac. 3hg for the arm to start moving and around 17hg for the vanes to fully close. If that is correct then the n75 probably needs cleaned or replaced. Although if most of this things were going wrong the car should throw a light for boost deviation.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
All that the OP said was that he couldn't hear the "Whoosh" (Whatever that is...), not that the car was performing poorly. Our '01 golf has a cat back Buzzken exhaust and when I'm driving it around town, I can hear the turbo spooling all of the time, because the sound is resonating off of walls, other cars, etc., etc. Not so much on the highway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Those actuators rust out so badly in the northeast! It might be missing the bottom half of it, but look ok from above. Feel around or climb under the car with the wheel off on the passenger side and shine a bright light in there to check things out.