www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:01   #496
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default Heat/AC blower control DRAINS the battery

I bought this new 2015 GSW (DSG) in 2017 after release, and phase 1 emissions mod was done.

Within a month of ownership, something sucked the battery down overnight. I charged it, and the problem went away for about a year, and it did it again, then again a month or so later. Each time, I charged it back up, and the problem disappeared.

But THIS TIME, it was BAD!

Started the car, and quickly got a series of failure warnings on the MFD: ASR antilock brakes fail warning, then TPMS fail warning, then adaptive front lighting fail warning, then airbag fail warning.

Needless to say, this got my attention.

I had to drive to work, and I didn't believe all systems failing at once anyway. This cycle of warning happened more than once, sometimes randomly one or the other. Then on the way home from work same day, the warnings cycled through when I started it, and a new symptom showed up. The DSG began to downshift instead of upshift while I was accelerating in traffic. RPMs went up high, over 4000rpm! I pushed it into neutral, pulled over, and started again. This happend a few times. The DSG was wandering around aimlessly sometimes. Tip and the paddles unresponsive in tip mode while these failures happened.

The next morning, FOGGY, and needed defrost, but the BLOWER DID NOT work! Nothing. I left it on while driving, wiping the windshield from the inside to eliminate the foggy interior. Then the blower crept up to low (I had it on high) and lots of hot air dried out the inside of the windows in the car. All the while, the MFD warnings cycling and DSG doing weird things.
Same day leaving work, BATTERY DRAINED.

So I parked it when I got it home (after jump start) and got VAGCOM connected. AutoScan showed low voltage errors and 0010 code. I left it on the charger overnight. No real indication of EXACTLY what was happening.

BUT IT DID NOT CHARGE FULLY. The green light always shows up within an hour when I recharge it, but it was still red and the charger was hot in the morning. SOMETHING IS STILL DRAWING CURRENT WITH THE IGNITION OFF!

I took it to the dealership since this is under warantee and the DSG issues are hard to claim not under warantee! The blower started blowing in the garage right in front of the technician with the ignition turned OFF! SO GLAD THAT HAPPENED.

He ordered a heater control head, and might replace the module (behind the glove compartment) as well. AND, he found that the Adblue heater was failing (this was a legacy fail code from earlier this year when it was cold). But the heater blower fail is what's is causing the low voltage issue making all of those systems fail and display warnings!

So he will install a new urea tank (apparently this is not modular like the gen1 gen2 versions where the heater only can be changed). And he will get the heater/AC blower under control again, clear all the codes and then see if it behaves and doesn't throw more codes.

I think I will get it back by end of next week.

Last edited by dubStrom; May 3rd, 2019 at 07:06.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:05   #497
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Sounds like you will essentially be getting a new car in a way when you get it back lol. Sorry to hear of your issues, but hopeful to see that they are fixed and you are happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 13:24   #498
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default THE REAL CULPRIT- Heat/AC blower control DRAINS the battery

So, it turns out that the pano roof drain was blocked, water entered the wiring box. No reason to pull all of those panels, glove box, wiring covers, and dig into the damned thing if I had just known before the rain storm that there were leaves blocking the drain.
This car is just 2 years old. I had the same issue with the '03 wagon. It got my leg wet when I drove it after the storm, and was obvious when I looked up at the A pillar. I cleaned out the drain with a syringe and tubing, dried everything and no issues other than minor cleanup. This sucks.

At least it is diagnosed and will be working fine when dried out.

Gee. Stupid design to have the drain path when blocked go directly into wiring.

Last edited by dubStrom; May 3rd, 2019 at 16:11.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 14:45   #499
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Glad I didn't get sunroof this time around!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 16:11   #500
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Glad I didn't get sunroof this time around!
This is a heads-up.

The car sits outside until I can put another garage in. We had tons of heavy rain for a couple of days, spates! The pano-roof has a long seam, so I should have anticipated the need for a clear drain. I should have inspected it before the storm, and after. Even just one 6x 10 tarp pulled over it would have also prevented this. I didn't think about it at the time, but I would bet that EVERY time the battery got drained, there was a big storm the day before! Really. Heads up to ANY pano roof owner that parks outside.

Lesson learned. And FYI- I did not really choose it. I could not find a single 6MT in the region when they started selling them, so I decided to get the nicer model with the dumb DSG (but it does have paddles). On the other hand, it was good to find out that it was not inferior failing electrical component(s), but rather bad design on the pano roof drain that caused this. As I said, lesson learned. I just have to be vigilant on making sure the drain is clear. I like the pano roof, but I see that it comes with duty!

Last edited by dubStrom; May 3rd, 2019 at 16:16.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:03   #501
740GLE
Veteran Member

was it the drain caps or spider caps or was it the cowel drain that clogged?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 16:49   #502
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

One reason I wanted a S instead of a SE or SEL. I dealt with this on my MKIV, didn't want to deal with it again. On the MKIV I used hose clamps on the sunroof drains on the roof end, and used RTV silicone on the car ends in addition to clipping the outside so the opening would be huge. Haven't had an issue and it's been 8 years. I'm a bit unclear why VW didn't put it together this way in the first place.
TDI service available - timing belts, clutch jobs, cv joint rebuilds, engine rebuilds, maintenance, low power diagnosis, suspension. DSG service $180 Have CAN VCDS for CR TDI's PM here, call or email JeremyTDI@yahoo.com (401)-919-0466 Quotes available, very fair rates
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:14   #503
Candellara

TDI(s): 2013 Golf GT

I haven't seen too much info in this thread about the silicant from the reservoir clogging the heater matrix. Has anyone definitive information on this as there are dozens of threads across various forums. Much of what i have read is if this issue surfaces with your MK7 TDI - it's practically impossible to remedy? Many people have had to fit several new heater matrix's at £000's of expense.
Candellara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 07:50   #504
Nuje
Veteran Member

I just saw a notice come through from VW stating that heater replacement is covered under the terms of the "dieselgate" settlement - at least that's the case here in Canada (and presumably US).

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:17   #505
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candellara View Post
I haven't seen too much info in this thread about the silicant from the reservoir clogging the heater matrix. Has anyone definitive information on this as there are dozens of threads across various forums. Much of what i have read is if this issue surfaces with your MK7 TDI - it's practically impossible to remedy? Many people have had to fit several new heater matrix's at £000's of expense.

Do you guys have pouches or pods in the coolant bottle? Our NMS has pods, i've heard the pouches are the ones that rupture and cause issues.

My un educated guess is the high EGR and crazy high CAIT the W2A inter cooler bakes the coolant.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 07:11   #506
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

I usually see 265-275ish CACT. Those temps probably arent ideal for coolant
Old July 27th, 2019, 07:54   #507
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I picked up a 2015 Golf TDI yesterday and thereís a rattling sound when idling coming from somewhere around the dash or console. It sounds like itís under the car, but I canít pinpoint it.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2019, 15:04   #508
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
I picked up a 2015 Golf TDI yesterday and thereís a rattling sound when idling coming from somewhere around the dash or console. It sounds like itís under the car, but I canít pinpoint it.
SEL trim?
I get a buzzing noise occasionally from something in the HVAC system, but only if it's in the 90F+ temp range.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2019, 15:15   #509
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
SEL trim?
I get a buzzing noise occasionally from something in the HVAC system, but only if it's in the 90F+ temp range.
It is an SEL. Sometimes it sounds like itís behind the glove compartment, but it normally comes from the console around the shifter. Iím thinking that itís a heat shield, but I can only get it to make the noise while driving or coming to a stop. I canít find it when completely stopped.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 17:44   #510
codyayrton

Today my factory non-nav radio stopped working. It was working fine before I shut off the vehicle and left for about an hour. Upon return it did not turn on with the vehicle when I started it to leave. I pushed the power button and nothing. I pushed some of the other buttons and nothing. The one thing that did work is the back-up camera displayed as usual, but still no tunes or anything at all on the display or out of the speakers. Googled it and saw that it was a common problem with previous VW models and the fix was to push the power button for one to three minutes. It only took about 10-15 seconds for my radio to wake back up with the power button pushed continuously. Working fine now.

codyayrton is offline   Reply With Quote