MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
To cool the high pressure fuel pump and other fuel system components.
I get that the High Pressure Fuel Pump recircs and heats up the fluid. But damn, 1.5 gallons is a lot. Is there no other method? Basically we are dragging around 10+ pounds of unusable fuel.

Is this common? I don't recall having to leave so much fuel in my Sprinter Diesel.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
You are crushing it! Too many errands for me last weekend. 430 in the book with 230 on the to-go meter. Your MFD reminds me though. I think the mileage estimates are more accurate at highway speeds
Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out the MFD. Less accurate this time.

I have a 470 mile drive tomorrow and another 300 miles on Friday I'm really shooting for a 60 mpg tank.

Mr. Bad Wolf, you are my motivation!

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
The biggest barrier to 60 is real life actual commitments

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I get that the High Pressure Fuel Pump recircs and heats up the fluid. But damn, 1.5 gallons is a lot. Is there no other method? Basically we are dragging around 10+ pounds of unusable fuel.
Is this common? I don't recall having to leave so much fuel in my Sprinter Diesel.
Volkswagen has been doing it in their diesel products for quite some time. If I remember correctly, it started with the Passat in 2012 as a response to the HPFP failure hysteria, in combination with what is an unspoken extended warranty on HPFPs and a slightly revised fuel system that uses different injectors and lower rail pressure. You'll notice that HPFPs have gotten a lot more reliable in recent years (Passats experience very few failures), so they're obviously doing something right. Roll with it.

It could even date back before that - I remember the Audi A8 TDI Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson drove well past 0 miles until empty.

So, what we end up with is an obvious system design change. The engineers left that fuel there for a reason. You are welcome to second-guess them and take that risk for an extra 50 - 100 miles, but is it worth it? I mean really... squeezing that extra 10% of range out seems pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. As for the 10 lbs of unusable fuel - it is being used... as a coolant and lubricant for a very expensive system. ;)

Last edited:

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Volkswagen has been doing it in their diesel products for quite some time. If I remember correctly, it started with the Passat in 2012 as a response to the HPFP failure hysteria, in combination with what is an unspoken extended warranty on HPFPs and a slightly revised fuel system that uses different injectors and lower rail pressure. You'll notice that HPFPs have gotten a lot more reliable in recent years (Passats experience very few failures), so they're obviously doing something right. Roll with it.

It could even date back before that - I remember the Audi A8 TDI Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson drove well past 0 miles until empty.

So, what we end up with is an obvious system design change. The engineers left that fuel there for a reason. You are welcome to second-guess them and take that risk for an extra 50 - 100 miles, but is it worth it? I mean really... squeezing that extra 10% of range out seems pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. As for the 10 lbs of unusable fuel - it is being used... as a coolant and lubricant for a very expensive system. ;)
Seems to make sense. I just wish the tank spec was reduced to reflect the recommended usage. I don't stress about it hitting zero or going a little under. 600 mile range is great. I won't be running it 100 miles past zero unless I have to.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
With fill up last night, just had two 50+ mpg tanks in a row.

This most recent tank's stats: 51.1 mpg, 626.9 miles driven, 10 miles remaining at fill up. This tank consisted of a 500 mile r/t drive from CT to PA, with ~3 hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Although I kept it at 65-70 mph (when traffic allowed), I assumed the stop and go heavy traffic would be a drag on mileage - I'm pleasantly surprised it didn't seem to affect it much.

It's kind of amazing how robust the FE of this car is; not only is it quite good in an absolute sense, but it seems remarkably insensitive to "real world" FE busters like stop and go traffic.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Very impressed with the MPG on these cars. I just finished reading the entire thread and I see a lot of common trends that we talk about over in the 2012+ Passat section.

The number one similarity is that the DSG guys use the word "slightly" a lot when describing the MPG penalty between the 6 Manual and the DSG. Based of the early reports in this thread the manual does much better than the DSG car.

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
I'm sitting here feeling awfully jealous of some of these great MPGs. I've had my TDI for less than a month and filled it up for the second time today, yielding little better than 40 mpg. I'm trying to remind myself that I do a lot of short (10 to 15 mile) drives and that the car is far from fully broken in, at close to 1000 miles on the odometer. But I'm lusting after some better numbers.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I'm sitting here feeling awfully jealous of some of these great MPGs. I've had my TDI for less than a month and filled it up for the second time today, yielding little better than 40 mpg. I'm trying to remind myself that I do a lot of short (10 to 15 mile) drives and that the car is far from fully broken in, at close to 1000 miles on the odometer. But I'm lusting after some better numbers.
I too have a bit of that lust. But for me, even averaging 43 by Fuelly is a massive step up from the 26-28 I had with my old Civic Si. I also see that you have the DSG, which, as psd1 notes, might hurt you *slightly* compared to some of the MTers here, maybe. ;)

I'm sure you'll have one of the 55+ mpg highway trips where the forces of traffic and weather align perfectly, and then you'll be feeling pretty good.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I question the "slightly" thing too. 21k miles over 12 months with my 13' Passat DSG and my best single tank was 48 MPGs avg 43. Same commute since August with the Golf 6m I have 8 consecutive 52+ MPG tanks.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I question the "slightly" thing too. 21k miles over 12 months with my 13' Passat DSG and my best single tank was 48 MPGs avg 43. Same commute since August with the Golf 6m I have 8 consecutive 52+ MPG tanks.
While I don't disagree that there is a difference, I don't think this is a fair comparison. Different car, different engine. My only point is that, so far, the only real evidence that the MT is significantly better than the DSG is anecdotal. Until I get a chance to comb back through the Fuelly data (potentially with more entries now), I won't be ready to say for sure. I think there is also a logical selection bias, as city drivers might be more willing to go with a DSG for convenience.

It's also potentially a matter of semantics. Would we agree that 4 mpg (<10%) is slight or significant?

I'm truly reluctant and amused to be in the position of defend an auto box, as this is my first one ever...but I can't help but defend statistical rigor, and hopefully help cheer up the DSG owners!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

I agree. Your direct comparison with as many miles logged really stands out, especially with your "best tank(s)" thrown in. Our commute sounds very similar and you can see where my lifetime MPG is in my 6 Manual Passat, just under 51, with a summer average of 52-53 MPG.

While I don't disagree that there is a difference, I don't think this is a fair comparison. Different car, different engine. My only point is that, so far, the only real evidence that the MT is significantly better than the DSG is anecdotal. Until I get a chance to comb back through the Fuelly data (potentially with more entries now), I won't be ready to say for sure. I think there is also a logical selection bias, as city drivers might be more willing to go with a DSG for convenience.

It's also potentially a matter of semantics. Would we agree that 4 mpg (<10%) is slight or significant?

I'm truly reluctant and amused to be in the position of defend an auto box, as this is my first one ever...but I can't help but defend statistical rigor, and hopefully help cheer up the DSG owners!
See, there's that "Slightly" word again. Since Badwolfs BEST tank in the Passat was 48 MPG, wouldn't it be fair to compare it to the BEST tank in the Golf, which was 56 MPG? I'm not great at math, but this appears to be +8 MPG...does that seem "slight" or "significant"? Best tank vs. best tank isn't anecdotal.

It would be easy to compare the two since the Golf only has a few tanks through it and he has Fuelly data from the same timeframe in the Passat in years past where he was the driver. This seems like the perfect opportunity to compare two vehicles, although different, under about as similar conditions as possible.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Your point is well taken Andy. He Passat is heavier but both have adblue systems. I figured, in fact counted on the design changes to the 15' golf would make a difference but I thought I would end up in the same place on the curve plus a little so was thinking 46-8 I am 8-9 MPGs ahead of my awesome 43mpg Passat.

One caveat is I have not driven in the winter yet. Also I think my commute is "better than highway" mileage no traffic 25 miles stops but not too many and mostly 40-45

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Your point is well taken Andy. He Passat is heavier but both have adblue systems. I figured, in fact counted on the design changes to the 15' golf would make a difference but I thought I would end up in the same place on the curve plus a little so was thinking 46-8 I am 8-9 MPGs ahead of my awesome 43mpg Passat.

One caveat is I have not driven in the winter yet. Also I think my commute is "better than highway" mileage no traffic 25 miles stops but not too many and mostly 40-45
Fair, and good point about the AdBlue. I'd say the couple hundred pounds of weight differemce, engine improvements, plus any DSG->MT factor got you that nice win. You should lobby the EPA for a Better Than Highway rating system!

See, there's that "Slightly" word again. Since Badwolfs BEST tank in the Passat was 48 MPG, wouldn't it be fair to compare it to the BEST tank in the Golf, which was 56 MPG? I'm not great at math, but this appears to be +8 MPG...does that seem "slight" or "significant"? Best tank vs. best tank isn't anecdotal.

It would be easy to compare the two since the Golf only has a few tanks through it and he has Fuelly data from the same timeframe in the Passat in years past where he was the driver. This seems like the perfect opportunity to compare two vehicles, although different, under about as similar conditions as possible.
Best tank vs. Best tank with the same commute is a fine way to go about comparing the two cars, and it's a good idea to go back and look at the early days of the Passat. but I still think there are too many variables between the two cars to gain any real information on DSG vs MT. Aside from all that, the anecdotal aspect is that it's still a sample size of 1 of each car.

I feel I've made my thoughts sufficiently known, so I'll shut up on this topic for now. I would bet that that over time we will get enough evidence to reliably show there is a slight difference between the DSG and the Manual. But for now, I personally am not there yet.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel I've made my thoughts sufficiently known, so I'll shut up on this topic for now. I would bet that that over time we will get enough evidence to reliably show there is a slight difference between the DSG and the Manual. But for now, I personally am not there yet.
Are the transmissions (DSG/6MAN) in the 2015 Golf the same as the 2012+ Passats? If so, would it be safe to assume that there will be a similar difference in MPG between the Passat's and 2015 Golf's, all things being equal?

I've been told that there is a slight difference in MPG between the Passat with the DSG and the 6 Manual...;)

Would you care to define slight, so when all the data is present we can know that you were correct.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
TDI-rex---would you mind comparing rpm's at 65-70-75 between models. Thanks.
hopefully TDI-rex will comment on this in the not to distant future. That will give us a better idea of what the spread between DSG/6sd will be for highway when compared to the NMS Passat, which seems to be the most comparable model we have the significant data on.

Someone is going to have to define "slight" for this conversation to not keep going in circles. Ten percent would seem to me to be significant but if you are comparing 5mpg on a vehicle that nets high 40's to low 50s I can see where some may find that to be "slight".

carry on my friends;)

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Are the transmissions (DSG/6MAN) in the 2015 Golf the same as the 2012+ Passats? If so, would it be safe to assume that there will be a similar difference in MPG between the Passat's and 2015 Golf's, all things being equal?

I've been told that there is a slight difference in MPG between the Passat with the DSG and the 6 Manual...;)

Would you care to define slight, so when all the data is present we can know that you were correct.
That I don't know. Probably there are some algorithm tweaks at least. I'd say it's a fair first-order assumption that the DSG/Manual difference for the newer Passats is about that of the 2015 Golf DSG/Manual difference.

As for "slight", let's say 5% difference, referenced to the Manual. E.G. If the manuals are averaging 50 MPG, anywhere less than 47.5 for the DSG would be considered more than "slight". Sound good?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
DSG is pushing around a lot of oil to make it work, manual trans uses oil for lube. DSG has to have some inefficiencies just because of that.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
As for "slight", let's say 5% difference, referenced to the Manual. E.G. If the manuals are averaging 50 MPG, anywhere less than 47.5 for the DSG would be considered more than "slight". Sound good?
Yes sir! This will be fun.

Needless to say, the MPG capabilities of the 2015 Golf (DSG/6Man) are impressive!

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I think its an awesome thing that this discussion is about 8mpg or so differnces in economy of our vehicles which are all easily achieving 40+mpg.
I learned to drive in a '78 Ford supercab with a 351 modified block that got about 12mpg. :eek:
Gas was also less than a buck a gallon. :banghead:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Yes sir! This will be fun.
Needless to say, the MPG capabilities of the 2015 Golf (DSG/6Man) are impressive!
Agreed! As a recent diesel convert, I can testify that the FE is seductive. I'm really hoping the Golf holds up well, because if so, VW may have a long term convert.

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
Agreed! As a recent diesel convert, I can testify that the FE is seductive. I'm really hoping the Golf holds up well, because if so, VW may have a long term convert.
Same here. I'm coming up on a month with the '15 DSG after owning an '06 RAV4 for over eight years. In the short time I've been driving the Golf, I've rediscovered how much fun driving can be, even here in congested central New Jersey. The fuel economy was a big selling point and, while I hope to see better numbers in the months to come, I'm already very happy to be getting roughly twice the fuel economy that I used to get in the RAV4. I'll add that I haven't really given much up in terms of practicality: the Golf has a lot of cargo space (something I was concerned with coming from an SUV), more than its small exterior appearance would suggest. I refer to it as the Tardis of cars, in fact. I genuinely hope this vehicle holds up in the long run and that I never think of buying something other than a VW in the future.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Welcome to the addiction! FE is almost a disease for me, and it has been for many years and many diesel powered vehicles. There are a lot of times when I cant wait to fill up to see just how good my numbers are.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Welcome to the addiction! FE is almost a disease for me, and it has been for many years and many diesel powered vehicles. There are a lot of times when I cant wait to fill up to see just how good my numbers are.

It is fun, keeps you entertained in the car. Endless speculation as to why you are ahead or behind expectations .... temperature, bad driving, deep design flaws in the car as a result of communist plots, Gravity,

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Managed to go through the current Fuelly data (well current as of yesterday night). I pulled only cars that are specifically labelled as DSG or Manual in some way. I included only cars in the US, and found 14 Manuals and only 4 DSGs still. I broke them up a couple different ways:

All US Cars, regardless of indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.0 MPG (4.3 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG: 40.9 MPG (5.3 stddev), 50% hwy
DSG 7% worse

Removing any with <50% Indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.9 MPG (4.2 stddev), 64% hwy
DSG: 43.8 MPG (1.7 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG 2.4% worse

So, if you believe people's indicated city/hwy splits (which I'm not sure I do), my hunch that DSG owners are doing more city driving may hold water.

Still a small sample on the DSG side. If only more Fuelly users specified! Of course, depending on which of the two ways you choose, the difference is less than my definition of "slight" from a few posts back (5%), and more than "slight" in the other case. :)

Last edited:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Why only US cars?
While I think they are both made in the same factory (correct me if i'm wrong), I'm just not sure if their fuel regulations are the same as the US, and I'm sure there are other potential differences like that.

However, with the 4 CAN manuals added in, it doesn't change the average at all, when rounded to tenths. All it does is lower the standard deviation by a bit.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Managed to go through the current Fuelly data (well current as of yesterday night). I pulled only cars that are specifically labelled as DSG or Manual in some way. I included only cars in the US, and found 14 Manuals and only 4 DSGs still. I broke them up a couple different ways:

All US Cars, regardless of indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.0 MPG (4.3 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG: 40.9 MPG (5.3 stddev), 50% hwy
DSG 7% worse

Removing any with <50% Indicated Hwy/City %:
Manual: 44.9 MPG (4.2 stddev), 64% hwy
DSG: 43.8 MPG (1.7 stddev), 58% hwy
DSG 2.4% worse

So, if you believe people's indicated city/hwy splits (which I'm not sure I do), my hunch that DSG owners are doing more city driving may hold water.

Still a small sample on the DSG side. If only more Fuelly users specified! Of course, depending on which of the two ways you choose, the difference is less than my definition of "slight" from a few posts back (5%), and more than "slight" in the other case. :)

Interesting, I pulled these numbers 13 months ago when the question arose over in the Passat section:

"There are 460 2013 Volkswagen Passats (Diesel L4 Sedan) with reported gas mileage parked at Fuelly."

I started and here is what I came up with, I didnt have time to do ten vehicles so the top 5 DSG and manual cars are listed below.

TOP 5 DSG Passats.
1. Passat TDI SE = 48.4 MPG
2. Bar of soap = 47.9 MPG
3. First TDI = 46.9 MPG
4. The Beast = 46.8 MPG
5. lulu = 46.6 MPG

Top 5 6 Manual cars.
1. Silver Passat = 59.2 MPG
2. All Black = 57.5 MPG
3. Our 2013 M6 Passat = 50.7 MPG
4. No Name = 50.4 MPG
5. My Passat TDI = 49.0 MPG

If you throw out the top performer in each section the numbers are a lot closer. 47.05 MPG for the DSG and 51.9 MPG for the 6 Man."

I sure wish that Fuelly made it easier to sort on their site. :confused: