Tdi 2.0 16v bkd manual gtb2060vklr build!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
pouring chemical metal might be a better solution, i have pressed a steel slug in the arosa gearbox before and that has lasted the longest out of any but it was not the only change

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hey all, so the next mini project moving forward is to work on the BKD head. I'd love to hear your opinions on what to do and what not to do. I've already purchased the heavy duty valve springs from Darkside and I'm thinking of getting larger camshafts from Dbilas too. I'm looking at the 'oval track' spec camshaft seeing as I do a lot of mountain endurance runs. Please see the below link:
http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products...-TDI-PDE-Regrind-standard-camshaft::6215.html

I'm also looking at porting the exhaust ports only.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
My advice is to do a proper porting job, not just the exhaust ports.
Is there much more benefit in porting everything rather than just the exhaust ports?
Is it also worth the $$ ?

Would I be looking at using the same stock valves or do I need to get oversized ones?

What else would you recommend?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Stock valves are OK. I have some billet cams I don't have a use for here

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Is there much more benefit in porting everything rather than just the exhaust ports?
Is it also worth the $$ ?

Would I be looking at using the same stock valves or do I need to get oversized ones?

What else would you recommend?

Certainly port inlets. No point otherwise.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hey all, I hope everyone is well. I haven't had time to do anything to my car as previously planned apart from install a new lip. Hope you like it.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
The new lip looks great on your car. The purple highlights look awesome against your black paint job.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I last updated my thread.

Long story short, 1 week ago my BKD head decided to give in and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. We took the head off and there are cracks in it.
The head part number is 03G103373A.
I was wondering, should I go for the same part number or go for a newer part number?
I have also seen the AMC heads, would they be better suited?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
All revisions crack
I put a AMC on our Touran a few years ago, I removed a C revision.
Not sure if AMC flows as well as a VAG item but I didn't care too much.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Thank you for the info, much appreciated.
I bought an AMC head, hopefully it flows as good as the stock head!

I'm also looking at aftermarket profile camshafts for my BKD. Would anyone know where I can get such camshafts from?
(I'm not looking for re-grinded).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

duke21

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 TDI BMN
I have AMC after breaking 2 revision C-s on PPD. Now running AMC for 50k kms with 2260 and no coolant loss.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
I have AMC after breaking 2 revision C-s on PPD. Now running AMC for 50k kms with 2260 and no coolant loss.
Great to hear!
My coolant loss on the A revision head was instant. From no coolant loss of over 5 years, I floored my car twice in the space of 30 minutes and the next day white smoke began to appear...

Does anyone know of a workshop where I can get new camshafts machined?
Nothing too aggressive, mainly increasing the RPM camshaft powerband from stock limit to a higher RPM limit.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Love the build. I am just finishing an AWD swap into my TDI and thinking of the GTB2060VKLR.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Love the build. I am just finishing an AWD swap into my TDI and thinking of the GTB2060VKLR.
Thank you! My project car is coming close to an end though. I've modified almost everything I can to it (performance-wise).

Which engine does your TDI have?
Yes the 2060vklr is the perfect turbo in my opinion for my BKD. It's ball bearing and uses water-cooling [emoji6]
I've also upgraded it to a billet wheel which I can definitely feel the difference.

The AMC head is also going well since it was installed months ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hi all, a bit of an update.

My latest ECU tune has too much torque for the current clutch kit (Clutchmasters) and I was wondering if there is a full fascia friction plate that is rated higher than my current Clutchmasters full fascia friction plate. My car is still a daily so I'd prefer to keep the friction plate as a full fascia plate. I've had a 8puck friction plate in the past which lasted less than 10,000kms.
I've also used the Sachs clutch kit with a full fascia friction plate and that lasted around 27,000km with the previous tune too.
3rd and 4th gear with over 50% throttle is not possible anymore as the clutch just slips.

I believe I'm currently making over 650nm at the wheels, just as an indication.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my 7.25" twin disc has served me pretty well and I'm not nice to it at all, slipping it a lot to try and take off smooth rather than just launching it like I should. Probably something like 40k street miles on it, mostly city driving (which is a shame since the turbos' size make it more of a freeway car)

they're a pretty generic item, but you will be making your own flywheel to use one

ETA: oh, and I tow trailers with it too, being very mean to it especially while backing up

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
my 7.25" twin disc has served me pretty well and I'm not nice to it at all, slipping it a lot to try and take off smooth rather than just launching it like I should. Probably something like 40k street miles on it, mostly city driving (which is a shame since the turbos' size make it more of a freeway car)

they're a pretty generic item, but you will be making your own flywheel to use one

ETA: oh, and I tow trailers with it too, being very mean to it especially while backing up
How loud is it on idle with the clutch pedal depressed?
Are you able to take a quick video clip so I can hear it?

With the clutchmasters kit I was able to increase the idle to around 950RPM and the gear rattling would go away.
With the Sachs kit the gear rattling would go away over 1600RPM on idle...

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
One company that you may want to check with and see what they have available is DKM Clutch. https://www.facebook.com/dkmclutch/ or http://www.dkmclutch.com/base-usa/

They are growing in popularity and are priced pretty darn well last I checked.

Another company I've heard of that is supposed to offer a nice clutch kit is http://www.bullyclutch.com/ I don't know a ton about them, but it might be worth it to email them to see what they offer.
Thank you for the links.
I will further look into it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
How loud is it on idle with the clutch pedal depressed?
Are you able to take a quick video clip so I can hear it?

With the clutchmasters kit I was able to increase the idle to around 950RPM and the gear rattling would go away.
With the Sachs kit the gear rattling would go away over 1600RPM on idle...

clutch depressed? silent
engaged in neutral, you can hear the bearings and gears in the trans like any other trans
I'm running an 0a6 and about 40lbs of flywheel packed into the bellhousing, so it doesn't have any gear chatter even when lugging it below idle.
My 7.3 with an SMF has some horrific gear chatter anywhere below 800 rpm, so I know what that sounds like, haha. Can hear that one from a mile away.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
clutch depressed? silent
engaged in neutral, you can hear the bearings and gears in the trans like any other trans
I'm running an 0a6 and about 40lbs of flywheel packed into the bellhousing, so it doesn't have any gear chatter even when lugging it below idle.
My 7.3 with an SMF has some horrific gear chatter anywhere below 800 rpm, so I know what that sounds like, haha. Can hear that one from a mile away.
Hey, thank you for your reply. Can you please send me a link of the exact SMF clutch kit you're using?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ha, I have a feeling he's looking for something a bit more "off the shelf". Kudos for throwing NASCAR parts at a tdi though! :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I think one of the clutches he mentioned having used was a 7.25" ceramic one though, so really just gotta make up a huge bolt on weight for it that'll fit inside the bellhousing, as the starter and FW geometry should all be there

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hey all, so I got in touch with a reseller of Bully clutches and he mentioned to me for my current setup I'd need to either go for a race style friction plate (which won't last more than 10,000km) or just get the same organic friction plate which currently lasted around 30,000km on my previous ECU revision. However, the latest ECU revision killed the friction plate within around 6,000km, hence why I'm looking for something to handle the extra power and launches.

I was also told that Kevlar is better for my scenario, but then again it won't last more than 10,000km.

Any further assistance would be much appreciated.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Possibly pointing out the painfully obvious, but just don't slip it and it'll last until the splines strip out
when you are pulling away from a stop, if the engine almost stalls as you're getting moving you've done the best you can for clutch life

my ceramic discs might be lasting so long because the trans I swapped in has a very deep first gear and the heavy FW lets you get the clutch fully engaged from idle pretty easily

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Another company that has a good reputation and should be able to set you up with some type of twin disk clutch that will handle the power you're putting down.
http://www.clutchmasters.com/

You could talk to the guys at South Bend Clutch and see if they offer anything for your application. https://www.southbendclutch.com/

Beyond that I can't really think of to many other clutch companies that would make something that would work for you.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Another company that has a good reputation and should be able to set you up with some type of twin disk clutch that will handle the power you're putting down.
http://www.clutchmasters.com/
You could talk to the guys at South Bend Clutch and see if they offer anything for your application. https://www.southbendclutch.com/
Beyond that I can't really think of to many other clutch companies that would make something that would work for you.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm currently using CM SMF clutch kit and it's been working well...up until the moment I went for even more power.

I will give them a call and see what else they can offer, thanks.