115K mile money pit

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Last night while my wrench was doing the tranny fluid for me, he showed me
1) Fluid leak out of the engine/motor mount.
2) Shot control arm bushings.
3) Too much wobble on the CV joints (replaced this past winter, 1 year warranty, whew).
To change a bad engine mount, is it not better to go ahead and change all mounts? Where can I order this online, and where can I get control arms? tried IMPEX and Blau and did not find any.
Thanks,

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Are the motor mounts liquid filled in these cars? I have noticed a Red colored fluid leaking under mine as well. Thought it may have been a power steering leak at first but not losing any fluid.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Radman said:
Are the motor mounts liquid filled in these cars? I have noticed a Red colored fluid leaking under mine as well....
In your case it's simple, you've spilled your wine;)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, the two side mounts for the engine have fluid in them.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1755302

You can order from www.worldimpex.com or other suppliers.

Left: 8D0 199 379 AE
Right: 8D0 199 382 AE

Get 4 shouldered hex nuts N 015 083 11 to secure the replacements in place.

Front: 8D0 199 339 M - not fluid filled and probably does not need replacement. Requires putting the lock carrier into the service position.

Although the side mounts may look easy to replace, the looks are deceptive. The engine has to be lifted off the unbolted mounts, the brackets between the mount and the engine have to be unbolted from the engine and you still have very little wiggle room to get the mounts in place due to the length of the studs in the mounts. Be sure to disconnect the battery if working on the right side. That engine bracket is right next to the starter and can contact the positive cable going to it.

One other thing, the bolts for the brackets on the engine are not easy to get to. Require a 6mm hex bit.

Which control arm(s)? Be sure to replace the bolts and nuts securing it/them too.

Can your wrench do a proper alignment for the car? It does require special tools.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Does your car have vibration at idle? I worked on a car that vibrated at idle in gear it is worse. I also noticed the red stain on the side motor mount.