06 Jetta TDI Manual - needs help; Grand Rapids, MI

crdouger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 & 06 jetta TDI's
2006 VW Jetta TDI for sale

This car has been my daily driver for quite a few years. I’ve done a lot of work to keep it on the road and I’ve been looking forward to the day when it crossed the 400,000 mile mark. Think about it. That’s amazing. That’s 16 times around the earth! Way to go VW. It’s a sad story (sniff sniff), but I’m putting it up for sale. Here’s the details:

The good: Looks good, rides nice, AC & heat work, heated seats, dual climate control, leather seats, 5 disc change, sunroof, manual transmission, rocket chip tune, get’s great fuel economy. I was planning on driving this car for another 100,000 miles and so within the last year I did all the big maintenance items. I put a new clutch, flywheel, timing belt and camshaft into it. Tires are good with a little road noise, but have lots of life yet. I bought aftermarket allow rims for it and it's a sharp car. New heater core last year. Nice rubber floor mats. 1 1/4" hitch. New springs and shocks all the way around. I thought this thing was ready for the next 5 years…(that foreshadow's upcoming problems...)

Then the accelerator pedal started giving me troubles. So I swapped it out and the problem went away…then it came back. Eventually I think I found the problem and fixed it…I think. But now a few other problems have come up at the same time. While I’m decent at fixing most car issues, I’m not an expert at diagnosing by any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately, I’m at the point where I decided to drop the coin and get an 2012 Passat and give the next guy the opportunity to give her some love. I’m also at the point in life where I don’t have the time to work on it.

Here’s what I know:
- It has a leaking head gasket $41.50 on idparts.com. It’s a lot of labor, but not bad work.
- The steering wheel light on the dash is on. It still steers fine, but the light is on. I don’t know why. Vagcom says it loses communication with the power steering control module.
- The engine idles fine and then when you start to accelerate, it stumbles, clatters and puts out smoke until somewhere around 1500-2000 rpm when suddenly it drives like brand new. I don’t know if it’s related to the head gasket or not. Maybe it's a stuck turbo actuator. It could be the car is mad because of the sweet passat parked in the garage now.
- The air bag light came on about 6 months ago. It’s the front passenger sensor.

I have VCDS software to read the codes. Like any old car, there are a ton of codes and information. I ran a full scan of it. If you want, I can email the file to you. Send me an email at doug@camproger.org If you are good at fixing TDI’s this is a great car for you and you can get a ton of low cost miles out of it yet.

$1,000 cash and it's yours. I'm tired of feeling guilty looking at it. - CRDouger

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

crdouger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 & 06 jetta TDI's
Totally drive-able. It just runs poorly up to about 20mph or so before things kick in and it runs smoothly. I get out of work late this afternoon and will be home most of the weekend. Let me know when you want to come see it.