2000 Jetta timing belt change

snohoco

TDI
jetta 2000 silver
Hello, I've been visiting but never posted. I live in Mount Vernon Washington halfway between Seattle and Bellingham and have a 2000 Jetta TDI GLS automatic with 41,000 miles on it. They reccomend changing the timing belt at 40,000. I know a timing belt problem can be catastrophic, but still, do you think 40,000 is overly conservative? Can anyone reccomend a shop that is competent, and reasonable in this area? Thanks, snohoco <font color="black"> </font>

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Forum member Drivebiwire lives in Oregon. He wrote the book on TB changes:)
Forum member weedeater had a timing belt break at 38K miles.
Get yer belt changed.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I agree -- the timing belt is not something you ought to try to stretch the maintenance interval on.

Check some of the posts regarding the new, longer-life timing belts, and ask at your shop or dealer about getting an 80k belt and tensioner. I just had my second timing belt replacement on my 2000 Golf TDI and didn't know at the time that there were new belts availible. I probably have the original style, so I'll have to change mine in another 60k (it's a manual), but if I'd known I could have got an 80k belt and tensioner.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Not only are you at the mileage limit for the recommended change interval, the belt is 4 years old. Time is up on this one too. The newer belts in VW packaging have an expiration date of approximately 4 years. Aging of the component is a consideration too.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
Hello, I've been visiting but never posted. I live in Mount Vernon Washington halfway between Seattle and Bellingham and have a 2000 Jetta TDI GLS automatic with 41,000 miles on it. They reccomend changing the timing belt at 40,000. I know a timing belt problem can be catastrophic, but still, do you think 40,000 is overly conservative? Can anyone reccomend a shop that is competent, and reasonable in this area? Thanks, snohoco <font color="black"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What they said. Replace your TB now. Replace it with the newer 80k/100k belt, with new tensioners. And you might as well replace the water pump now, since it only adds 15 minutes or so to the job and your original water pump probably won't last til the next scheduled TB change at 140k miles.