CJAA ECU+DSG flash Malone v. APR v. Kerma v ???

Datsun

TDI
v10 Touareg, MK7 Jetta
Yes I reviewed the FAQ, I didn't see anything about The comparisons. Also are there any other tuners???

I have a MK6 Jetta DSG, looking at power adders, and improving driveability, I hate the shifts after the fix I feel it bog and shift outside of power bands, it drives me nuts.

What one is going to make the best sense? what one is going to be the easiest install? what one has the best support? I heard that APR is a dealer item at some dealerships it wont void warranty now?

What accounts for the Large range of difference in ftlb gains between the tunes?

Kerma (+34whp +95lb-ft)
APR (+30 HP +35lb-ft)
Malone (+30whp (+51bhp) +70lb-ft (+108lb-ft crank)

Right now I am leaning towards Malone because I like the idea of the Dynamic Idle, and a chance to try out the dynamic erg tune for better MPG, but I do like Kerma for the Military Discount, but if I am told APR done at a VW Dealer maintains Warranty I would take them.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
There's also Green Diesel Engineering that has a tune for the 2 liter TDIs

I went with Malone, I'm still exploring the tune and haven't had a road trip with it yet so I don't have an opinion yet. I did get a couple codes yesterday which are concerning (P1005/P1006) and not sure yet what they might mean or even if they relate to the tune.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We're happy to support all military personnel, feel free to shoot us an email.

I did get a couple codes yesterday which are concerning (P1005/P1006) and not sure yet what they might mean or even if they relate to the tune.
Pressure transducers in the glow plugs, fairly unimportant but sensitive component, sometimes tuning amplifies existing imbalances but it's not much of a concern to turn off the codes. You can also data log under measuring block 141 to see what they're doing over a drive cycle.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Pressure transducers in the glow plugs, fairly unimportant but sensitive component, sometimes tuning amplifies existing imbalances but it's not much of a concern to turn off the codes. You can also data log under measuring block 141 to see what they're doing over a drive cycle.

The cylinder pressure sensors are anything *but* unimportant lol.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
They're definitely useful on a stock application, but when you're making more power with deletes and dealing with big turbo swaps they are not needed and they're mostly just nice to have for data logging dynamic pressures. Pretty normal for high power setups but yes should be kept on a stock "compliant" car. They also weren't used on many European TDIs.

There are many newer EDC17 engines that don't use them and diesels ran just fine before they were introduced. Running upwards of 500HP through 3L compound BMWs and they didn't come with them, they seem to be holding together just fine :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Depending where in Eastern PA the OP is, he should check out Rocket Chip in Red Lion. Excellent product and personal service from the man himself. No tuning boxes required like the mail order tuners. Just my 2¢ from personal experience.