Malone Tuning ....Lag Times

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Ok....so a little history. I have an '06 Jetta TDI (O'course...). Replaced a failing DMF w/SMF Vr6 clutch. Soon after I had a Stg2 downloaded by my local TDI mastermind (very happy he is local). I was very pleased with the Stg2...very pleased. Did I say very pleased? This is how it should be....the roll on in any gear was just fantastic. It'll pull from as low as 1400-1500rpm's....and I mean pull with no lag what so ever! Down shifting was actually no longer needed.

Now, fast forward. Failing BRM turbo actuator...symptoms: very lazy from anything less than 22-2300rpm's after that it would crank as it always did. Really lacked power unless rpm's were up, down shifting now required all the time for hills/passing. Decided on an "upgrade" PD140 turbo/3 bar MAP sensor and have TDI installer contact Malone for upgrade tune to Stg4 w/3 bar MAP and allow more boost into the equation.

Well, got the car back with the upgraded turbo/tune and it turns out to be more of a down grade....actually back to the failing BRM actuator rod issues all over again....very lazy until about 2000-2200rpm's then it'll pull. It really lags under that window where before it would pull like mad!

Now, that lag is one thing. But, my Malone installer/contact tried to email Malone about 2 months ago with no response (I was told he was on vaca until the end of July...Ok...it's mid August now). I emailed Malone about 3 weeks ago....and still nothing. I asked Malone if he could review the numbers and see where the problem might be?

I do realize that Malone is tough to get a hold of but I don't know about the rest of you guys....but when you pay xx for a service and then pay xxx for an upgrde to that service I think you'd like results. And, if you don't the get the service or results you had planned on you'd be asking questions.

So, can any one give me a heads up on how long you had to wait to hear from Malone on past inquires?...Even just an estimate of time? Am I in the ball park of 2 months? Or has it been longer? Waiting patiently.....but it's getting old now!

PS...I have posted on here about the possibility of adjusting the actuator rod.....it may be needed/or it should be pretty spot on is what I am hearing. So, I was awaiting Malone's response before I touch anything......

Last edited:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Ok....so a little history. I have an '06 Jetta TDI (O'course...). Replaced a failing DMF w/SMF Vr6 clutch. Soon after I had a Stg2 downloaded by my local TDI mastermind (very happy he is local). I was very pleased with the Stg2...very pleased. Did I say very pleased? This is how it should be....the roll on in any gear was just fantastic. It'll pull from as low as 1400-1500rpm's....and I mean pull with no lag what so ever! Down shifting was actually no longer needed.

Now, fast forward. Failing BRM turbo actuator...symptoms: very lazy from anything less than 22-2300rpm's after that it would crank as it always did. Really lacked power unless rpm's were up, down shifting now required all the time for hills/passing. Decided on an "upgrade" PD140 turbo/3 bar MAP sensor and have TDI installer contact Malone for upgrade tune to Stg4 w/3 bar MAP and allow more boost into the equation.

Well, got the car back with the upgraded turbo/tune and it turns out to be more of a down grade....actually back to the failing BRM actuator rod issues all over again....very lazy until about 2000-2200rpm's then it'll pull. It really lags under that window where before it would pull like mad!

Now, that lag is one thing. But, my Malone installer/contact tried to email Malone about 2 months ago with no response (I was told he was on vaca until the end of July...Ok...it's mid August now). I emailed Malone about 3 weeks ago....and still nothing. I asked Malone if he could review the numbers and see where the problem might be?

I do realize that Malone is tough to get a hold of but I don't know about the rest of you guys....but when you pay xx for a service and then pay xxx for an upgrde to that service I think you'd like results. And, if you don't the get the service or results you had planned on you'd be asking questions.

So, can any one give me a heads up on how long you had to wait to hear from Malone on past inquires?...Even just an estimate of time? Am I in the ball park of 2 months? Or has it been longer? Waiting patiently.....but it's getting old now!

PS...I have posted on here about the possibility of adjusting the actuator rod.....it may be needed/or it should be pretty spot on is what I am hearing. So, I was awaiting Malone's response before I touch anything......
I have a hard time believing that Mark would not return your emails, his customer service is second to none. He met me personally in Langley BC to tune my 2004 PD; perhaps your email address is wrong
:confused:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that would be mine AND my installers email...who is a vendor/dealer of his so I doubt that. I know it has been posted here about his slow responses...that I am aware of....just curious as to the average wait times......

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
are you sure your not having issues with your email.. i have been in contact with him..

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I know Mark is swamped right now after being on an extended vacation. I have been working with him for the past couple weeks to dial in my tune and the turn around time has been a few days between emails but he does respond. He has sent me three or four tune updates to get my car dialed in. What I would do is take some 4th gear logs (http://malonetuning.com/guides/vagcom/vagcom_logging_guide.pdf) and email those logs to him and copy your local rep on the email as well. Those logs will tell Mark everything he needs to know.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
When I contact Malone, I get a response from Andrew Rodriguez. He says he helps Mark out with emails. Its just a bit awkward when I am planning to buy from another dealer.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Andrew is a great guy and is the one who installed my tune (he's local to me). I have been working with Andrew and Mark on my tune updates.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
are you sure your not having issues with your email.. i have been in contact with him..

As I stated (your post may have crossed mine) I believe my email is working fine....I get all emails thus far. Also, my installer TDI mastermind is a dealer for Mark....and he hasn't heard from him yet.

Yes, to all the above comments about Mark being swamped...the link I posted shows the updated banner on his site about "catching up"....stay tuned.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Thanks in no small part to enthusiast forums like TDI club, business has grown very fast at Malone Tuning. The lag time for email responses some have experienced is a very regrettable result of this growth. Please know that Mark is actively working on improving email response times by enlisting additional customer service help and streamlining business processes.

Thanks everyone for your patience. :)

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^^^^^^^

I will say it is Good to see that...that is an issue.....it means he is busy and for a reason. That is comforting... :)

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
When I contact Malone, I get a response from Andrew Rodriguez. He says he helps Mark out with emails. Its just a bit awkward when I am planning to buy from another dealer.
It shouldn't feel akward, we are paid help when responding through info@malonetuning.com, don't feel pressured to buy through me, I'm just there to help (when possible)

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
It shouldn't feel akward, we are paid help when responding through info@malonetuning.com, don't feel pressured to buy through me, I'm just there to help (when possible)

OK....then answer my question for Mark..... :D

My contacts have been through his websites "Contact Us" page....maybe that link is broken as I never saw that link above......it was just through Mark's webpage "click"....

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Update......got a reply from Malone just now....THEY were having issues with their email. Whew! hopefully I can get my "car" back....with the Stg2 attitude!! :) Awesome....

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Update...actually no update.

Still waiting for Malone. BUT, the more I think about it.....car having the same symptoms as before (read OP for all details...but I will add on very steep hills it's difficult to get going from a stop (same as before just forgot it in the OP)..car dies when trying to start from a stop (doing a normal steep hill start of course). It requires a much higher rev and dump/or slip clutch...basically a drag style start...even so with enough traction it might still die. It just has very little low rpm Tq below 2000rpm's).

So now I am thinking maybe it was something else all along that obviously is still there. Is there anything else that could be overlooked?

I know the PD140/stg4 Malone tune added something above 2000rpm's....because my clutch slips now where it didn't before. It is just the lazy low end that it had before and still has.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: Malone.....I realize he had an extended time away. So, with that said I am sure he is busy catching up......work faster :D

My local Malone tune installer and TDI mastermind sent (Malone) many requested files with various runs. So, I am hoping there is some glitch in the tune that restores the lost low end (flat between 1200-2000rpms).

BUT.......I am now thinking the fault may hiding elsewhere, as the symptoms are very much (the same) like before the PD140/3bar MAP sensor/Stg4 tune...again the PD140 replaced a stock BRM turbo due to a suspected actuator rod failure/leaking diaphragm issue? So..........................:(

VAGcom verified what the motor was putting out vs what ECM was looking for....all things checked out. No apparent vac leaks. Last week had T-belt #2 installed (cam was fine with T-belt #1 @100k)...EGR cooler replaced ~ 3yrs back, and no codes or other drivability issues.......other than the flat/lag from 1200-2000 (again Stg2 would flat out pull...you couldn't lug it) and the drag style starts to start from a stop on steep hills...also a symptom prior to new turbo and tune.

Any suggestions as what to look into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: New clutch...and updated two Malone tunes flashed....much improved clutching of course......I am going to say Malone's tunes are fine and the original problem still exists.....the dreaded lag under 2000rpm's.

I am going to assume there is still an undiagnosed problem with the car...as it does NOT feel like it did when it was a stock turbo and Stg2....at all!

But.......the new clutch is fine :)

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Both good questions. The actuator rod has not been touched yet. I seem to get the impression that should maybe be touched upon as a last resort..from some of the previous replies. The PD140 was used on a very very similar motor and the adjustment is usually pretty spot on........that is the impression I get. So, should it be considered and/or when?

Lift pump? Was just researching that possibility. Would that affect power/response above 2000rpm's....ie: flat until 2000rpm's and then accelerate without issues?

Lengthen or shorten......just want to clarify as it was suggested to shorten the rod....?

Edit:.....Oh yeah, as far as actuator rod adj goes. If similar symptoms are there after turbo replacement wouldn't it be more likely that it is not within the turbo as far as issues go?

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Update.....but again not an update as nothing has changed since addressing this off/on since Aug '14.

Again, waiting on a reply from Malone via my local installer (Malone dealer) going on 2 weeks now.....and NOT expecting to hear a Damn thing......

Had the car at Kraftwerks for a once/twice over and nothing mechanical was amiss. All requests are being made and met. Chris determined, as did 413 Auto, that the PD140, 3 bar, and tune should provide more of the fun factor for sure! Chris is betting that Malone had a stock(ish) clutch in mind when he did the tune and possibly went easy on the under 22-2500rpm TQ mapping.......cause this thing is FLAT (weak/non-responsive) under the 2500rpm window! Not the beast it was with the Stg2 and stock everything else.... :mad:

I am at the point to find another tuner. Chris (Kraftwerks) had told me the RC was going to be at his shop some weekend. Although, I had asked what the date was going to be.....and haven't heard anything yet from him. What's wrong with people these days?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
It was not adjusted...yet.

It seems a few in the know here said it should be pretty spot on and not to touch it.

Although, in the back of my mind I do would like to know what vac. it begins to move at. But, I think being at two different shops by two knowledgeable TDI mechanics I would think they checked that to rule out that being the cause of the lazy response.

Disclaimer: I am at a loss with TDI's and rely on others smarter than myself when it comes to the mods. :)

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Not a good story. Malone has no insight for you? Did he offer any info on the tune he provided. Any ideas from him on how to get your low end back after his tune?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
No insight from Malone yet on round two. The two previous TDI masters that looked at it both (separately) come up with the same diagnosis....Malone must have thought it was a stock or at least VR6 clutch...so he may have gone easy on the low end side of things with TQ mapping.

But it is nothing like the beast it was prior...Stg2 and stock turbo. I am NOT in favor of the PD140 at the moment with my experience :mad:. The need to down shift to second when coming out of a corner, the now frequent need to shift for passing or on significant hills. Hills that before the car would just sprint up, now has a sense of losing power as you climb requiring at times a down shift to 4th. Starting on steep hills from a dead stop were easy before...now it stalls unless revved above 22-2500 and then drop and hammer it...drag style launch just to get up my driveway if I were to stop 1/2 way for example.

This motors power range is now 2500-4000 rpm (as I never really went much beyond 3500-4000 as it never...even all stock... seemed to have much after that upper range.
Before, Stg2 and stock turbo, the range was probably as low as 1400 to 4000 (my RPM ceiling personally...OK I baby it.... :D My point is it would just flat out pull from a low rpm, minimal need to down shift, sprint up hills, slow to about 20mph in 3rd through a toll booth (fast pass/auto pay) and rocket out the other side...in 3rd!!!

What is missing here? Everything mechanically/system wise checks out (vac/boost request and produced), but it feels like it did with the failed OEM turbo actuator rod or leaking diaphragm (turbo...as was explained to me to be a possibility).

So, it is a tune issue? Won't know until I hear from Malone and he can see what he did with the low side mapping. Or is it still a mechanical malfunction that has been overlooked (and not a bad turbo as originally thought)? If it is something else, and I wasted time on a "upgrade" turbo....that's fine as long I recover the problem and get the beast back.

Again, thanks for any and all thoughts, ideas, and suggestions.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
I am suffering the same issue, but with a stage 3 cr. I have completely non existent low end. If I stomp on it in 3rd or even 4th, from 1500, it can take 3 to 4 seconds sometimes to get to 2000-2200 then finally get some form of power. My upper end HP is great and what I was advertised, but the low end tq is gone. I've had 1 dyno pull surpass my stage 2 tq (and only by 10) and the rest (6 pulls) are consistently 20 to 30 below my stage 2 numbers which were without fail between 295-297 across 7 pulls on two sessions.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, good someone who can relate!

Stomped from 1500rpm in 4th..ok 4th may be a bit high...but yes, 1500 in 3rd it will lazily climb to 22-2500 then it'll pull. Same thing if you're rowing threw the gears WOT, if you let it drop to under 2200rpm (I know, shift faster ;) ) or so it's lazy until it hits 22-2500 again.

Recap: This is with PD140, Stg4 Malone, 3 bar MAP, and clutch is a SB stg2 Endurance....so it'll hold.

Where as prior: VR6 clutch, stock everything else, and Stg2 Malone would flat out plant you from a definite 1400ish rpm's and up......the roll on TQ response was instantaneous...it was simply FANTASTIC!

I want that back............... :(