2006 Golf MK5 2,0 PDTDI (BKD) turbo swap

MKVBen

TDI
2006 2,0PD Golf MKV (BKD)
I would like to address a few questions to those who might have experience with the MK5 diesel Golf,or the 140ps pdtdi engine.

I have a 2006 Golf MK5 2,0 PDTDI 140 PS version with BKD engine code that is not DPF, in which the factory turbo kicked the bucket.
The car didn't have any performance tuning on it, no remap,nothing.

Since it has 130k kilometres in it and no insurance anymore i was thinking if i have to buy a new turbo anyway, i would buy a bigger one.
As i researched a little on the forums and at the local dealer and i found that the difference between mine (140ps) and the stronger 170ps version is the piezo injectors with more holes, different turbocharger,and not just the program but a different ecu as well.
While mine has the Garrett Gt1749V the one with 170ps has the Gt1749vc
Which if i got it right is the same vnt turbocharger (same housing) but the vc has a 49mm turbine instead of 44mm on the 140ps one, which apart from the name is the same as the vnt15.
So i could just swap them without any modifications needed on the car (maybe apart from hoses), but i read about other possible choices as well being the Gt1752vc,1852v,1756vk,1856v,2056v,and the 2260v from a BMW.

My question would be if any of these is a possible swap for my engine,that doesn't need a custom exhaust manifold or other trickier custom jobs to fit.

If needed after the swap i would change the intercooler, and maybe the piezo injectors as well, but i don't plan any other changes IF not needed.

My other question would be that this engine redlines at about 4400,
would it be possible to push it out until about 4800-5200 or that would increase the pressure on the rods in a way stock ones wouldn't handle?
I'm also concerned about the turbo being able to deliver enough air to feed the higher rpm's, as i heard that they are already pushed too far in a remapped tdi.
If its not a problem how can it be done?

The third question would be that after doing all the changes, if we keep the close to factory AFR is it possible to not make it more smokey than it was?
I would be satisfied with anything between 180-200Hp i wouldn't want to push the last few ps if that helps keeping it nice and clean.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry if my english is bad i'm from Hungary.

Last edited:

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
i think 1749vc is what you need...also another plug and play option is to send your turbo to a center that makes good hibrids.

MKVBen

TDI
Do you know what sizes of compressor wheel fits the 1749v , and which turbo it comes off of? (i have seen 52 and 56mm ones)
Because i have a local shop that can do it but they only did k03/04 hybrids so i would have to tell them what they have to put together i guess.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
MKVBen said:
I would like to address a few questions to those who might have experience with the MK5 diesel Golf,or the 140ps pdtdi engine.

I have a 2006 Golf MK5 2,0 PDTDI 140 PS version with BKD engine code that is not DPF, in which the factory turbo kicked the bucket.
The car didn't have any performance tuning on it, no remap,nothing.

Since it has 130k kilometres in it and no insurance anymore i was thinking if i have to buy a new turbo anyway, i would buy a bigger one.
As i researched a little on the forums and at the local dealer and i found that the difference between mine (140ps) and the stronger 170ps version is the piezo injectors with more holes, different turbocharger,and not just the program but a different ecu as well.
While mine has the Garrett Gt1749V the one with 170ps has the Gt1749vc
Which if i got it right is the same vnt turbocharger (same housing) but the vc has a 49mm turbine instead of 44mm on the 140ps one, which apart from the name is the same as the vnt15.
So i could just swap them without any modifications needed on the car (maybe apart from hoses), but i read about other possible choices as well being the Gt1752vc,1852v,1756vk,1856v,2056v,and the 2260v from a BMW.

My question would be if any of these is a possible swap for my engine,that doesn't need a custom exhaust manifold or other trickier custom jobs to fit.

If needed after the swap i would change the intercooler, and maybe the piezo injectors as well, but i don't plan any other changes IF not needed.

My other question would be that this engine redlines at about 4400,
would it be possible to push it out until about 4800-5200 or that would increase the pressure on the rods in a way stock ones wouldn't handle?
I'm also concerned about the turbo being able to deliver enough air to feed the higher rpm's, as i heard that they are already pushed too far in a remapped tdi.
If its not a problem how can it be done?

The third question would be that after doing all the changes, if we keep the close to factory AFR is it possible to not make it more smokey than it was?
I would be satisfied with anything between 180-200Hp i wouldn't want to push the last few ps if that helps keeping it nice and clean.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry if my english is bad i'm from Hungary.
Do you think you edc16 will like these Piëzo units?

I think the vc sits on top oem wise in a 170hp PD, while your tubro probaly hangs down, so it's not that pnp..

2256v or 2260v would works very well for that engine but they don't exist in pnp form..

MKVBen

TDI
If the housings are really the same...it won't matter if i hange it up or down,will it?
Even if it comes with a different exhaust manifold to look upwards on the pd170, if the housing's the same i can pair it with my manifold...or so i thought ,i might be wrong on this.

No, unfortunately i couldn't find anyone who could tell if the piezo's will work on my edc16 or not, putting in the other ecu would solve this problem but it might show me the check engine light for some missing sensors or such.

What modifications does the 2256/60v need to work on mine?
Manifold/oil feed/DP?
(Or where could i read up on it i googled my a*s off already)

Anyone knows until what PS/Bhp the stock injectors are good for on my pd140?

Thanks for the tip tho.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
MKVBen said:
If the housings are really the same...it won't matter if i hange it up or down,will it?
Even if it comes with a different exhaust manifold to look upwards on the pd170, if the housing's the same i can pair it with my manifold...or so i thought ,i might be wrong on this.

No, unfortunately i couldn't find anyone who could tell if the piezo's will work on my edc16 or not, putting in the other ecu would solve this problem but it might show me the check engine light for some missing sensors or such.

What modifications does the 2256/60v need to work on mine?
Manifold/oil feed/DP?
(Or where could i read up on it i googled my a*s off already)

Anyone knows until what PS/Bhp the stock injectors are good for on my pd140?

Thanks for the tip tho.
Problem is that the turbo/manifolds are one piece, they're not separateable unless you use a cutting tool//

Acutally you could use the vc if you also source the downpipe and other hoses from a 170hp version..

with a 2256 or so easiest is to weld a flange to a cut oem manifold, adapte downpipe hoses, and use stainless braided teflon lines for oil feed/return.. or use stock if turbo location isn't changed much..

if you want to run Piëzo injector you need a Siemens PPD ecu which not many people can map well....

I gues you stock nozzles will flow 220-230hp max, but I cannot confirm this...

MKVBen

TDI
As for the injectors,a little bit over 200hp is perfect for me, i would be more then happy with that.
And thanks a lot for the info...

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I have a 2006 (US) TDI Jetta and many of us are looking for a plug and play turbo upgrade but with no luck. If a reputable parts supplier could fashion one up and show test results, they would have several customers, problem is that the BRM engine here in the US was really only sold for a 1 and a half and then they went to the new motor, many bought the BRM for fuel mileage but a few of us want speed.... I want speed!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I think we should make a difference, as the topic starters engine is a 16v BKD while BRM is an 8v engine..

MKVBen

TDI
Does the cold side of the 17/56 hybrids come off a 2256v from the LT or the bmw's? Or that doesn't really matter ...

Last edited:

MKVBen

TDI
I asked around reputable shops in the capital city, how much they can make me a 1749vm/2256v hybrid from either my turbo, or all parts supplied by them, and they gave me a price of 500$ made with my turbine side and 800$ if they make the turbo from all new parts, including balancing and warranty.
I think thats pretty impressive given the prices i see online.

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
also, i'm confused by this thread now are you saying the turbo from the 140 BKD is orientated like the golf mk4, and in the 170 BMN it's upside down?
so the turbos sit on the head like this?

or are they both the same so they can use the same downpipe, except the turbo intake and turbo-intercooler hoses muct be changed?

avionu

TDI
Skoda Octavia 2 2.0 tdi
I advice you to go for the gt2056v turbo swap. You need to cut the turbo manifold and weld a flange bun is not o difficult operation. It`s enough for 210-215 bhp and the lag is not that big. Any bigger turbo and the lag may become a problem.

avionu

TDI
Skoda Octavia 2 2.0 tdi
Rub87 said:
Problem is that the turbo/manifolds are one piece, they're not separateable unless you use a cutting tool//

Acutally you could use the vc if you also source the downpipe and other hoses from a 170hp version..

with a 2256 or so easiest is to weld a flange to a cut oem manifold, adapte downpipe hoses, and use stainless braided teflon lines for oil feed/return.. or use stock if turbo location isn't changed much..

if you want to run Piëzo injector you need a Siemens PPD ecu which not many people can map well....

I gues you stock nozzles will flow 220-230hp max, but I cannot confirm this...
what pressure do you suggest i use for a 2.0 tdi bkd with gt2260v turbo swap and stock intern? I am currently running with 1.9-2.0 bar from 3000 to 4800 rpm and i`m not sure that is safe for the engine or turbo.
Thanks

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
seaams on the limit for stock CR, should enough for 230-240hp if you can get the fuel in