BRM valve cover mod for better oil control, positive ccv and modest power boost

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
Update:

Well I tore into it again this weekend with the goal of improving overall oil control. I also went ahead and opened up the exit of the cross-over leading to the "swirl port" and I shortened the inlet tube that draws from the swirl port to help increase overall flow volume.

Thinking about it with half a brain I came to the realization that I should probably move the oil filtration further up-line, giving the oil more time to get pulled out of suspension. I removed the copper scrubber from the end of the line and I installed a new plastic scrubber at the front of the line. From there is has to pass through three layers of "80-mesh" screen. I left the 20-mesh in the velocity port since it caught some debri before it could clog the drain port. I installed a small spring to hold it down since I shortened the draw tube and that's it. I will report back with my results.

PICS!

So yeah, it's tacky but I'm testing...because science! Also, I would really like to recommend the victor reinz Reinzosil. It held up perfectly and it was super easy to take apart and clean for reassembly.

Take care!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Tb cover must be removed to remove valve cover. I imagine he is repeatedly R&R-ing the valve cover, hence no belt cover..... Yet.....

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
no TB cover?
Yeah that pic was taken before I had everything back in place.

While I'm here I might as well report my first day impressions with the new mods. Car is running like a top and I have confirmed at least a reduction in oil exiting the valve cover. I pulled the intake tube and placed a white rag over the exit port and gave it a few good revs after driving all day, not a drop! Before I got a nice little spatter.

I think moving the filters further up the line has helped as well as having two filters in place.

Next step is to replace the factory evac tube with a full 1in. ID tube since it is now the bottleneck in the system. I will take pics and report back soon.

Thanks for looking.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished the new evac tube. I went ahead and used clear nylon tube for inspection purposes and after running it a bit it is still clear. The picture was taken with the engine running. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Day 2 update:

I've driven all morning both in town and on the highway with multiple on-ramp passes. I've pushed the car a lot today and there isn't a drop of oil to be seen. I am very pleased with the results so far and the car continues to run great.

My next step is to measure vacuum and from there I will start working on ways to reach my target of -10 in.hg constant throughout the rpm band. Stay tuned!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
So far with just the gutting of my valve cover and the black rtv reinstall ive seen alot less oil leaking from the valve cover and the oil fill cap. Reduced pressure seems to have helped slow these leaks and has reduced my overall oil consumption/leaking. Im adding less oil to the car on a weekly basis. No perfomance gains or losses have been noted.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
And?

Was there any vacuum readings taken to see if the crankcase pressure went down? How was the VC covers removed. It looks like they are glued in place. Is there a solvent or simpley saw off and dremel around? Is the oil staying in the engine. My sons car is using about a litre every 2-300 kms. Compression is fine, and this looks interesting. Thank you for any information.

rovertdsl

TDI
BRM TDI 1.9L; 5sp mod, Unitronic Stage 1
Same issue on my 2006; especially after Unitronic upgrade. Oil consumption is high especially in cold weather.

Question:
Oil cap modification that directly exhausts to atmosphere without oil spitting, while eliminating the CCV entirely?

Discussion:
Gutting the Valve Cover seems like a great idea to improve flow and thus reduce pressure; I am curious how much oil still makes it through the CCV.

At one time, I had the Moroso Oil Separator installed, it was generally effective at catching CCV oil but still carried oil through to the intake, hence defeating the purpose. Rerouting CCV with elephant hose is a solid solution in warm climate, but I continued to have freezing in the winters rendering both methods problematic. Stock was the only reliable method, unfortunately.

Last edited:

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Was there any vacuum readings taken to see if the crankcase pressure went down? How was the VC covers removed. It looks like they are glued in place. Is there a solvent or simpley saw off and dremel around? Is the oil staying in the engine. My sons car is using about a litre every 2-300 kms. Compression is fine, and this looks interesting. Thank you for any information.
I have not taken measurements yet but it's not much. Even at full throttle I would be surprised if it is any more than 3-4 in.hg.. Originally I had hoped this would be enough to achieve vacuum and even though it isn't, I did accomplish a much less restrictive path for the crankcase gases and I have completely eliminated oil of any significance in my intake track. Just the other day I had my turbo inlet pipe off and in the past this pipe was always an oily mess but now it is completely clean.

The valve cover "caps" just pop off. Be careful when doing this but if you use something wide and flat, I used the sharp end of a woodworking chisel, you can catch the edge of the cap and pry it up just a little at a time moving along the perimeter. It should pop off pretty cleanly if you take your time. I re-installed mine using a high quality rtv sealant. Holds up great and it is easy to take apart if something tweeked.

With my latest design update, oil is no longer making its way into my intake track! I do still have some oil consumption but it is way down from before.

If you are experiencing oil loss of significant volume, like your 1 liter for every few hundred miles...;), you need to be investigating your turbo as well as the other known potential causes. I don't see that much going through your intake without other issues resulting.

Finally, just so everyone knows. I am actively working on a solution to achieve constant vacuum in a practical sense for everyday use. I will keep this thread updated as things develope.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Brm oil consumption for me....
1. Turbo was bad.
2. VC was leaking a substantial amount.
3. Rings... High blowby is appearing to be more and more of common issue for brms.

When i changed the turbo my consumption got cut in half. Then AutoRXed the rings and consumption cut in half again. Gutted the VC and rtved the VC back to the head(yes 100% all the way around above and below seal). and my consumption is cut in half again. I went from 1L per1K (turbo) miles down to 1L evry 2500miles (after turbo) down to 1L every 5k miles (after AutoRX) and now less than 1L per 10k miles after VC job. That all said.... My provent 200 element is still wet everytime i check it. So some oil is still flowing threw CCV and being returned to the oil pan by the provent. Provent is ran year round in Iowa and i havent had an issue. I think its my mounting location that keeps it warm.

Not perfect but the issue is resolved in my book. After 2 solid years of working on the car it finally is mechanically sound. Worst car ive ever owned as far as needing constant attention. At times its been to the point the wife has said "Either the car goes or I go" and looking back... Was it worth it??? H3LL NO. In 2014 when i bought it it was KBB $11,000. I paid $8000 cause of a couple known issues. Two years and another $10,000 later its worth $6000. You can find it in the TDI for sale page... If you know anyone that needs a BRM send them my way. I need a toyota before this car causes a divorce.

Last edited:

rovertdsl

TDI
BRM TDI 1.9L; 5sp mod, Unitronic Stage 1
I agree completely.

Mechanically, many poor designs and very problematic. Makes me question if diesels are even worth it for the consumer automobile sector.

They are designed to be rugged for heavy equipment. Downsizing for automobiles makes them so sensitive to almost anything.

I love my car, its a great ride, fun to drive and superior efficiency.
But all cost savings are offset with high maintenance costs.

Whatever happens with this TDI scandal, if diesels are even available in the future, I am unsure if I'd buy another diesel.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Thank you

Well its unfortunate that you did not get the vacuum you hoped. It is interesting to see the drop in oil consumption that Green Lantern got. We will work on the valve cover. The previous owner had changed the turbo. Now to try and find AutoRX in Canada. Thank you gentleman.

John Mack

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 2005.5 TDI
Where did you tie in the drain from the PROVENT 200 ?
The only place on the front of the engine that I could
See is the dip stick tube