2010 Golf TDI-Cold weather package question

TDI-TP

TDI
2010 Golf VI - TDI
I have the block heater plug that is located on the drivers side lower front bumper. I pluged it in tonight for the first time and am not sure what to expect. Does this warm the oil or the coolant. Secondly does plugging this in every night cause any long term damage to motor that I should be aware. Sorry for the dumb questions but not really knowledgable on block heaters :)

TorqueAddict

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2009, Golf GLS TDI 2000
hi,

i have 2009 tdi with the heater as well. plugin your vw will "help" a bit when its cold, but not that much. I notice that it make a difference when it's going under -10 C. But actually, you don't need it.

Those engine heat up faster then the older tdi. And don't forget, there is no need to let your engine run for 5 or 10 minutes ... you start and go....

:)

TDI-TP

TDI
2010 Golf VI - TDI
hi,

i have 2009 tdi with the heater as well. plugin your vw will "help" a bit when its cold, but not that much. I notice that it make a difference when it's going under -10 C. But actually, you don't need it.

Those engine heat up faster then the older tdi. And don't forget, there is no need to let your engine run for 5 or 10 minutes ... you start and go....

:)
Thx Carl,
My real intent is to start and go versus letting it idle too long. If the block heater gives me that much I will be happy. Interesting observation is that the heat comes on fairly quickly but it seems to take about 2 to 3 kms to get the motor to 90C operating temperature. :)

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
That start and go stuff is great... till about -20 where it's better to let it idle for a minute before you take off. The newer TDI's, as I understand it, also have an electric indash heater that should provide some cabin heat before the engine's up to temp.

TDI-TP

TDI
2010 Golf VI - TDI
That start and go stuff is great... till about -20 where it's better to let it idle for a minute before you take off. The newer TDI's, as I understand it, also have an electric indash heater that should provide some cabin heat before the engine's up to temp.
So that confirms my observation. I did not know these cars have the electric indash heater. That is why I seem to get heat with the temperature guage not even a quarter of the way to 90C. :)

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
You shouldn't have to run your block heater all night. We had one on our 1983 Benz. My wife would plug it in about 30 minutes before she wanted to leave. We never had any problems with the block heater, but it was rarely used here in Virginia.

The block heater will probably save you some fuel by preheating the engine some. Mileage plummets at least about 5% in the winter due to the cold starts. But don't run it all night. You'll be paying way more in electricity than you save in fuel.