K&N air filter ruins MAF ?! - P0101 - MAF or VAF CKT Range/Perf

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
hey guys

I have a 06 TDI Golf and i recently changed the air filter to a K&N reusable. Some people warned me about this and the problems i might have with the Air Flow Sensor in time ... and that it would be damaged by the fine droplets of oil off the filter.
This was a brand new filter and i installed it ... oh maybe a month back.

Since then i've gotten the error code on my dash twice.

The first time around i thought it was because i had unplugged the air flow connector while the keys were in the ignition. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. So i reset the codes. This was last week on Wednesday. Yesterday i just got this error code again - P0101 - MAF or VAF CKT Range/Perf?

Some say that it could be the EGR valve and that i should simply block it and reprogram the ECU to not even use it. Not only will this eliminate the error codes from coming up, but it'll actually give me better performance from the engine.

I need some ideas as to what this could be. Should i check the EGR? Seems pretty coincidental that it started failing right after i changed the air filter.

Also if it is indeed the air filter, would the sensor return to normal if i were to go back to paper air filters?

Thanks much for your input.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Put a new OEM filter back in, clean the MAF, see if it comes back.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Would cleaning the MAF work? How do you clean the MAF? I would imagine that sensor is pretty ... sensitive?

Thanks

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
If indeed it is the filter that does the damage - am i the first one to deal with this issue?
I would imagine if the filter was affecting the MAF (and it was this quick to react) others would put big SIGNS out warning against the use of these filters.

... maybe there are signs and i just haven't seen them. :-}

Thanks for your input though.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
stefanne3 said:
Would cleaning the MAF work? How do you clean the MAF? I would imagine that sensor is pretty ... sensitive?

Thanks
MAF cleaner (at auto parts stores / wally world)

As far what you physically do to clean it, not sure, I've never done it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
stefanne3 said:
If indeed it is the filter that does the damage - am i the first one to deal with this issue?
I would imagine if the filter was affecting the MAF (and it was this quick to react) others would put big SIGNS out warning against the use of these filters.

... maybe there are signs and i just haven't seen them. :-}

Thanks for your input though.
You are not the first. There are big signs all over the internet telling people not to use oiled-filters.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
yes, many of us have experienced pre-mature MAF failure after installing K&N air filters.

as for big signs;
1. use OE air filters
2. DON'T TRUST THE DEALER to do maintenance or repairs after warranty, during warranty, be sure they use the correct oil
3. install a metal bottom engine cover (skid plate)
4. avoid C.R.A.P. (chinese replacement auto parts)

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Had a MAF failure, cleaned it and no more problems. remove the MAF from your car, thiss is easy, a clamp, 1 connector and two screws.

Next, remove the actuall sensor from the MAF, two srcews. The are tamper resistant, but a pair of small visegrips will get them out.

Get the MAF cleaner from your FLAPS and spray that sensor down, soak it.

I let mine sit in a small glass jar full of 90% ethenal.

After the soak, lightly blow it with clean air, re install.

It's a 2/10 job.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Ok - so chances are it would be the air filter that's causing this then. Since i haven't heard anyone discuss the EGR issue.

I can't believe though how quick the sensor reacted to the filter. Maybe this is actually normal, but the warning i got were to the effect that ... in time the sensor will fail - not within a day of installation.

Anyway - VWBeamer - you said get the MAF cleaner from your FLAPS. What's Flaps? And what's 2/10 :-D

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Has anyone tried returning these filters to K&N for a refund - or is that out of the realm of possibilities.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
OK - i just got off the phone with K&N and Joel over there at ext 4348 told me he's been part of the testing for this type of issue and currently they can guarantee that these filters do not "leak" any substances that would influence the readings of the air flow sensors.

He asked that we send in the sensor itself for them to photograph/investigate and send us back a microscopic version of these images to further proove that their filter is not the cause of these error codes.

He even offered to replace the Air Flow sensor while their do their testing on mine. He's asking for the part number so he could send us a replacement.

... anyone any thoughts on this?

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
stefanne3 said:
OK - i just got off the phone with K&N and Joel over there at ext 4348 told me he's been part of the testing for this type of issue and currently they can guarantee that these filters do not "leak" any substances that would influence the readings of the air flow sensors.

He asked that we send in the sensor itself for them to photograph/investigate and send us back a microscopic version of these images to further proove that their filter is not the cause of these error codes.

He even offered to replace the Air Flow sensor while their do their testing on mine. He's asking for the part number so he could send us a replacement.

... anyone any thoughts on this?
Humor, the universal language, knows no bounds . . .

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
stefanne3 said:
Did i miss something Left Coast?
I'm sorry about that; your post was just very humorous. K&N knows full well how their filters work and what they do to MAF's.

You can use the search function on this forum: type in "k&n air" or "k&n filter" without the quotes. Or see these threads (three of dozens, if not hundreds, that you can find on this forum alone):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241476
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282433
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282281

'We are not alone' as the expression goes. Other automotive forums have reached similar conclusions. And before I forget, you may be successful using MAF cleaner -- you may not -- but it's only a few dollars to try.

Last edited:

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
In as much as i tend to agree with you and the others that have found based on empirical evidence that these filters are the causes for these failures ... why would they bother to go to the extent that they do to offer this analisys of the sensor ... ship it to me - ship it back? Send me back photographs of microscopic analysis..

I may just be naive and haven't really gone through the process of banging my head against the beam yet, but ... is this all a facade to perpetuate a product that's really that flawed?

Not sure - part of me wants to agree that we don't need any further proof that this is the cause. Part of me really wants to get to the bottom of this and figure out some real answers.

Not sure what to think.

AlPuc

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I've used K&Ns for years in various non-VW vehicles, and have never had any hint of a problem related to them.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Their sensor should be in by Friday. We'll see what they find.

I've been doing some more reading on these posts. Apparently there's some passionate people on here about what's right and what's wrong.

I just wish everyone here would treat the others with respect given the fact that we're in the same boat - trying to figure out how to best take care of our toys.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
This post, which "Left Coast" has posted already for you is about all the info you need.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282433

Drivebiwire, Franko6, and Oilhammer - believe pretty much everything they say when it comes to TDI's...
There are other gurus too, you will get to know them the more you are on here.

Any AC issues, talk to DanG144...

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
I know i was going through that post not too long ago. But even on there, in spite of the detailed remarks and posts, I see conflicting reports - so not sure what to think.

The replacement MAF sensor just came in from K&N.

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sure there are conflicting reports, but there is a pretty clear consensus that:

A. The filter provides no performance improvement in our application
and
B. It filters poorly compared to pretty much every other filter tested.

So even if I decide, after reading all of the information that it does NOT ruin MAF sensors, why would I want to use one in the first place ?

I guess if you don't believe the independent dyno & filtration testing, but why take a chance in the first place ?

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
stefanne3 said:
The replacement MAF sensor just came in from K&N.
This may be a first -- I don't think anyone else has ever gotten this far with K&N on this board. I'm very interested in their analysis.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
It wasn't really that hard - I just called them up and talked to the Support Technicians. They said they'll send me photos of this also. So we'll see what we get.

The MAF sensor they sent me as a replacement looks pretty good too. Might put pictures of this up on the forum (as soon as i figure out how to upload these)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
stefanne3 said:
It wasn't really that hard - I just called them up and talked to the Support Technicians. They said they'll send me photos of this also. So we'll see what we get.
The MAF sensor they sent me as a replacement looks pretty good too. Might put pictures of this up on the forum (as soon as i figure out how to upload these)
Did they send you a new/used one? OEM? Aftermarket?

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
OEM - like new condition.

Can we upload pictures to this forum or do we need our own hosting for this?