MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Two rules of driving in Massachusetts: Wheel well ahead wins, and don't make eye contact. Sometimes it's frustrating. But other cities tax my patience more. I spend a fair amount of time in LA and Boston seems cute by comparison.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I lived in New Hampshire back in the late 70s and had a friend who had a cottage on Cape Cod in North Truro. I was on my way to the Cape late one Friday afternoon and was stuck in traffic on the Rt 93 distressway and witnessed an altercation at the Callahan Tunnel exit. I was stopped in the right hand lane behind a Saab who was trying to cut into the tunnel exit but a guy in a BMW just would not give him an inch. The cars made contact and both drivers, in coats and ties, exited their cars and wound up throwing punches and rolling around on the ground to the cheers of all of us stuck there... Ah, Boston!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That tunnel entrance is precisely where "wheel well ahead wins" comes from. Did it for years. Terrifying to the uninitiated.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I drove from MI St Louis, then to Carbondale IL, then back to MI on a tank and a partial.

I squeezed 580 miles out of 11.x gallons.

She had 1,300 on the clock last August.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I’ve been doing mid-700s on ~12.4 gal fill-ups of late. Hoping to wring out my first 800 mile tank at some point, but it’s been elusive so far with the baby tank we got with the Mk7s.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That tunnel entrance is precisely where "wheel well ahead wins" comes from. Did it for years. Terrifying to the uninitiated.
Many years ago Newsweek did a survey of driving in major cities and Boston came in with such bad reports that they came and did an in-person study. Their final analysis said that a Somerville housewife could easily hold her own with a New York City cab driver... :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I actually find driving in Manhattan fairly easy compared to downtown Boston. Streets are wider and more logical, even downtown.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I actually find driving in Manhattan fairly easy compared to downtown Boston. Streets are wider and more logical, even downtown.
You mean is not common for large metropolis cities don't use paved cow paths to design a city around? Shocking!!!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
70 in a 50 in Virginia is a weekend in jail. Just FYI.

In Delaware, it’s just reckless driving. We just want your money.

Ohh trust me, I got bagged at the VA state line when the speed limit went from 75 to 60 at 3AM driving back to Maine with a bunch of passed out college buddies in a minivan. Great way to end spring break.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
My mileage is improving. I bought the car in May 2017 with 99 miles on it. Prior to 12,000 miles in December, I never had a 50 mpg fillup. Since 12,000 miles, about every other tank is 50 mpg or better. My pre 12,000 average was 45.4 mpg. My after 12,000 average is 49.4 mpg. Nothing has changed. My driving habits are the same. The car is unmodified.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My mileage is improving. I bought the car in May 2017 with 99 miles on it. Prior to 12,000 miles in December, I never had a 50 mpg fillup. Since 12,000 miles, about every other tank is 50 mpg or better. My pre 12,000 average was 45.4 mpg. My after 12,000 average is 49.4 mpg. Nothing has changed. My driving habits are the same. The car is unmodified.

There's definitely a break-in improvement that happens well after the brief break-in period described in the owner's manual.

I bought mine in May 2017 as well. You can see my year over year improvement in my Fuelly sig link. It's significant. I was doing low 50s a year ago. I'm upper 50s to lower 60s now. Also unmodified, except a FrostHeater since January.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Real high mileage you guys are getting!
My 2015 GSW TDI S 6 MT only gives me a calculated average of 35 mpg over the 7,200 miles I have put on it.
I drive it fairly torquily and do go up to 85mph stints for brief segments, when need be.
Average drive to work is only 20 miles, mostly highway with a few miles of street lights. My engine not being warmed up for half the drive probably accounts for some of this bad mileage.
My wife has the same car and gets a displayed average of around 46 mpg, but the displays are over optimistic and that would probably only be around 41 mpg at most, quite better than my 35 mpg but far from any high 40s or 50s.
To get mileage into the 50s, I would think one would need to be driving 50 mph in 6th gear, at 1,200 rpm?
:)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To get mileage into the 50s, I would think one would need to be driving 50 mph in 6th gear, at 1,200 rpm?

There are so many factors at play to give a blanket answer, but no, that's not accurate. You don't have to go that slow to get into the 50s mpg.

Assuming temps over 50F, no headwind, engine at full operating temperature, at steady-state driving you should get more like 65 mpg at 50 mph in 6th gear. The mpgs don't really start plummeting in these cars until you hit 65+ mph. Even at 65 mph and the above stated conditions, my car is still typically getting upper 50s on my display.

For grins and giggles, here was my commute home two Mondays ago, with a stiff tailwind. As you can see, I averaged 50 mph. That was with a few red lights and three small towns that i have to slow down to 25 mph for. The rest was highway cruising at or slightly above the speed limit (65, 55, and 50 posted over various segments of the commute from New Carrollton (MD) Metro Station to my home in Southern Delaware).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My 2015 GSW TDI S 6 MT only gives me a calculated average of 35 mpg over the 7,200 miles I have put on it.
I drive it fairly torquily and do go up to 85mph stints for brief segments, when need be.
Average drive to work is only 20 miles, mostly highway with a few miles of street lights. My engine not being warmed up for half the drive probably accounts for some of this bad mileage.
My wife has the same car and gets a displayed average of around 46 mpg, but the displays are over optimistic and that would probably only be around 41 mpg at most, quite better than my 35 mpg but far from any high 40s or 50s.
My GSW (manual) just passed 8K miles and I'm averaging 41.8 since new. Tuned at 800 miles. Much of the driving is highway, but some commuting. And I usually run at 75-80 on the highway. It's definitely improving: I think part is seasonal (snows off probably helps too) and some is break-in.

I'm reasonably happy with the FE, I just wish the fuel tank were larger. After years of 700+ mile tanks, 500+ is an adjustment.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
A lot of the miles on my car is travel between my home in Central Oregon to the Lakewood, Washington area. I do that 280-mile trip typically once or twice a month which makes up a lot of the miles I drive the car. I keep the speed almost exclusively at 55-60 mph when the speed limit allows and the car in the slow lane. Elevation should be considered. I live at 3300 ft, Lakewood is around 300 ft, and the mountain pass is around 4400 ft.

I don't use the TDI to commute to work. I always keep the RPMs at 1500 or better. Generally, I try to follow the tips for better fuel mileage. Minimize the use of brakes, keep my speed down, drive like The Queen is in my back seat drinking hot tea. My worst average MPG for a tank was 39.8 and it was a bunch of trips to local places.

If you aren't already aware, you can correct the MPG on the display: (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/mpg-gauge-correction-and-adjustment-mk5-mk6-vw/) It works for mk7, too. Mine is actually 1 MPG pessimistic now so I need to readjust.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
A lot of the miles on my car is travel between my home in Central Oregon to the Lakewood, Washington area. I do that 280-mile trip typically once or twice a month which makes up a lot of the miles I drive the car. I keep the speed almost exclusively at 55-60 mph when the speed limit allows and the car in the slow lane. Elevation should be considered. I live at 3300 ft, Lakewood is around 300 ft, and the mountain pass is around 4400 ft.

I don't use the TDI to commute to work. I always keep the RPMs at 1500 or better. Generally, I try to follow the tips for better fuel mileage. Minimize the use of brakes, keep my speed down, drive like The Queen is in my back seat drinking hot tea. My worst average MPG for a tank was 39.8 and it was a bunch of trips to local places.

If you aren't already aware, you can correct the MPG on the display: (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/mpg-gauge-correction-and-adjustment-mk5-mk6-vw/) It works for mk7, too. Mine is actually 1 MPG pessimistic now so I need to readjust.
Elevation should definitely be taken into account. I bet Blue_Hen is pretty level elevation to and from. I changed my consumption to 107% and I'm within 1mpg of calculated FE at fill up so I'm not messing with anything. [emoji1474][emoji1474]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hillmatic

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Fuelly has me at about 39-41 mpg.

I drive from SF to San Jose 5 days a week.
I drive about 80mph when I can.

graygolf

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - MT
I have base Golf TDI MT. I drive approx 90 miles round trip to work. Morning commute is mostly steady speed (75-80mph). Evening commute is some stop and go. We use the car on the weekends as the grocery getter.

I've been using a mileage tracker since purchase.

Pre-Phase 1 average: 43.6 MPG (Sept 2015 - October 2017)

Post-Phase1 average: 45.3 MPG (October 2017 - present)

I was pleasantly surprised that post phase 1 mileage was just as good. Post phase 1 mileage is slowly going down. Would probably be a lot better if I'd drive 70-75 :)

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I have base Golf TDI. I've been using a mileage tracker since purchase.

Pre-Phase 1 average: 43.6 MPG (Sept 2015 - October 2017)

Post-Phase1 average: 45.3 MPH (October 2017 - present)

Post phase 1 mileage is slowly going down. Would probably be a lot better if I'd drive 70-75 :)
[IAppreciate your interesting stats, GreyGolf[/I]

Your post-phase 1 average of 45.3 is:

A. Impressive

and

B. Much better - MHO - than pre-phase I. (regret your "slowly going down").

Sure agree with your last sentence.

ez

wesintl

TDI
02 jetta tdi
I'm hoping mine starts to improve. Best i got on the highway was 43. city driving has been weak. My old 02 alh tdi jetta kills my GSW for milage.

graygolf

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - MT
[IAppreciate your interesting stats, GreyGolf[/I]

Sure agree with your last sentence.

ez

I've played around with speed and mileage and sometimes I get high 50s doing 80 and low 50s doing 70. This is all based on the Car Stats tho. I've had over 63 mpg on a 40 mile commute....It seems like my mpg depends more on how much coasting and steady speed I can do rather than speed.

wesintl

TDI
02 jetta tdi
a car is a tool for me. who cares how old it is if it runs and does what it supposed to do. besides these are volkswagens, they are nothing special

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Averaged 50.5mpg on a 2 hour round trip of mixed highway and interstate. Temp, weather and wind make a huge difference. This was 60*, rainy and minimal wind.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today's fill was my longest tank to date, though not my highest mpg: 775.5 miles on 12.732 gallons (60.9 mpg). Getting closer to that elusive 800 mile tank, but the baby tank is making it into a feat.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Today's fill was my longest tank to date, though not my highest mpg: 775.5 miles on 12.732 gallons (60.9 mpg). Getting closer to that elusive 800 mile tank, but the baby tank is making it into a feat.

What were the results hand calculated not using the MFI lieometer?