Bicycling

wbuschman

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (6 Spd. Manual)
I'll be bringing my bike with me and plan on doing some cycling around Ypsi. Looks like there's a brewery about 3 miles away from the hotel. Also, there's some interesting looking rides on bike.ypsi.org that I might do. specifically the taco tour has my interest. :)

If anyone feels like bringing a bike, let me know and we can try to coordinate some riding.

-Wes

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There is definitely some great biking around Ypsi. :cool:

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I'm bringing my bike. Tons of Rails to Trails in the Ypsi area...can't wait :)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I might see if I can cram my recumbent trike in my car. (I've done it before, with the back seat folded down and the front passenger seat folded forward...)

JPDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5Spd
I will bring my bike as well. Are the rails to trails smooth enough for road bike tires or should I bring my mountain bike?

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I will bring my bike as well. Are the rails to trails smooth enough for road bike tires or should I bring my mountain bike?
They're mostly smooth and should be suitable for road tires. If you want, bring the others as backup as I'm sure there are mtn bike friendly trails too!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Hmm not sure if I should bring my mt bike or my fixed gear. I do 50-60 mile rides on my fixie averaging 19-20 if anyone thinks I am a hipster !

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm the slow tubby on a 50 pound trike (with low pressure cheap tires right now, waiting for them to wear out so I can put Schwalbe Trykers on), a 10 mile ride is a long one for me (I usually do either 5 miles to work, then 5 miles back, or 3.5-5.5 miles to get something to eat and then back), and I usually do 12 mph average on my rides. (Uphills are murder, downhills are win.)

But, gotta say, it's comfortable. (I just need to get the friggin shoes to be more comfortable, and I don't think it's cleat adjustment, I've been playing with insoles. The rest of my body feels quite good at 10 miles.)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Just a heads up, the trails are quite awful. Full suspension or bust (and I don't have it), and there's a section of tight hairpin curves on a downhill that's fun on the trike, but you'd want to walk a bicycle (and there's signs to that effect).

Oh, and I'm inclined to say to avoid cutting through the golf course, there's not much time you have to be on the road to get to the bike path. I may have pissed off some golfers this morning... :eek:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I do 50-60 mile rides on my fixie averaging 19-20 if anyone thinks I am a hipster !
Awesome! What gears you running? I am not a hipster either but ride a fixie. I just did the MS Great Maine Getaway which was a 100 mile Saturday and 75 mile Sunday, both on my fixed gear, which is all I ride. I've done the ride 3 times now, the Trek Across Maine twice on it, and all 57 miles of the Acadia carriage trails in an afternoon.

We need to get together sometime since almost no one rides them longer than a few miles. I'm running 46/17 on the road for the hills and 46/19 when I put the dirt tires on it for the woods. My highest average is 19.1 mph but I'm usually in the 16-18 range.

Wish I was there at the Fest because I'd certainly bring it.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I will at my car at 6:30am(a gray Jetta with bike rack)who ever wants to come.

wbuschman

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (6 Spd. Manual)
Sunday Ride?

I didn't get in until 2:30am Saturday morning... stupid work. This afternoon I had a great ride out to Ann Arbor mostly on trails. Had lunch at a Jamaican restaurant near downtown and it was fantastic. Anyway, the ride was about 30 miles and the trails were great except for about a half mile stretch that was in disrepair and a bit painful with no suspension.

Anyone up for a late morning ride tomorrow? I'm thinking of heading North toward West Bloomfield to see a buddy of mine, but would be okay with riding wherever.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Damn, I wish I were there! Going for a nice, Sunday morning, dally. You know. A sashay. A cruise! A ramble! What did you see? What was fun? How was it??? :)

Last edited:

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Just a heads up, the trails are quite awful. Full suspension or bust (and I don't have it), and there's a section of tight hairpin curves on a downhill that's fun on the trike, but you'd want to walk a bicycle (and there's signs to that effect).

Oh, and I'm inclined to say to avoid cutting through the golf course, there's not much time you have to be on the road to get to the bike path. I may have pissed off some golfers this morning... :eek:
"don't you people have homes??" -caddyshack ?

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I didn't see any bicycles while at fest yesterday. I think I showed up at the wrong time. A ride would have been nice.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Awesome! What gears you running? I am not a hipster either but ride a fixie. I just did the MS Great Maine Getaway which was a 100 mile Saturday and 75 mile Sunday, both on my fixed gear, which is all I ride. I've done the ride 3 times now, the Trek Across Maine twice on it, and all 57 miles of the Acadia carriage trails in an afternoon.

We need to get together sometime since almost no one rides them longer than a few miles. I'm running 46/17 on the road for the hills and 46/19 when I put the dirt tires on it for the woods. My highest average is 19.1 mph but I'm usually in the 16-18 range.

Wish I was there at the Fest because I'd certainly bring it.
I run a 48/16 on the hilly windy roads of the cape, on flat ground rides I run a 13 tooth rear sprocket. I average 20 mph with the 16 rear, top out at 33 mph.