NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Especially for those of us who bought 2015 models. But no car is trouble free....my 21 year old son had a nearly new Elantra as a rental car, it developed a Rod knock within a few hundred miles of his picking it up.
This may have something to do with the previous driver of the rental car...

do you know what the fastest car on the road today is? thats right... a rental car.

have you ever floored a rental car? and then put it in gear? yup.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund

do you know what the fastest car on the road today is? thats right... a rental car.

HaHa
Haven't you heard?
What are the best vehicles ever built?, their accolades are endless.
They go further without oil, antifreeze, and fuel.
They carry more weight, they go off road with ease and when they break they give you another.
Company vehicles and rental vehicles
lol
Best cars in the world

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

I killed a rental car once. Drove the crap out of some brand-new POS GM compact back in the mid-80s, in northern Quebec. Started to make a gawd-awful noise. The pulley had flown off the crank and the crank bent.

The joke was on me because all they had left was an automatic, 1.4L Hyundai Pony. As I had a flight to catch and a 100 km drive to catch it, I drove it very gingerly. But oh man what a piece of crap it was, the GM (a Buick of some sort I think) was a luxury car in comparison.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Any updates on the NHTSA forcing VW into a recall? From what I've read on here.. It seems that vw is doing the right thing and fixing the hpfp problems regardless or mileage or warranty.

I would like to go down to my local dealership and get the low down to see if they'd be willing to comply if I ran into this problem in a 09 jetta. If I know I'm covered I'd feel ok owning a mkv CR vw. It seems that vw engineered a pump that is sensitive to fuel not up to proper spec required by the bosch design. I'm sure it runs well on good US spec fuel but when a bad batch comes through it seems to wipe these CR's out. If fuel quality could improve and increase consistency we'd probably see less incidents. I know for sure I'd run additives/b5 and diesel with high pump turn over.

Last edited:

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hello,
I wonder if this means the end of "goodwill" coverage outside of warranty.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dweisel
Doesn't mention anything about fuel rods rusting in the lift pump.
Not good....
Hello,
I wonder if this means the end of "goodwill" coverage outside of warranty.
I think you had to take them to court before the investigation....
I wonder if the threat of taking them to court will work anymore.
So not good...
On the bright side looks like stock in 2Micron Inc is goin up...lol

Last edited:

ryderse

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/DSG
Wow...so VW is still blaming the fuel. In my case, there's no way gasoline was was mistakenly used. I have the mod on the tank spout installed by VW that prevents you from using a gasoline pump. This was installed well before my issue occurred.

If it happens again, I will take them to court along with the fuel station(s) I use.

Blaming mis-fueling is not going to fix this issue.

Lencher

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav 6M
I know the failure rate is very low but I think for many of us it is hard to justify an 8k+ risk in a 20k car. VW will undoubtedly stop fixing this issue on their dime, bad news for CR owners.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
I know the failure rate is very low but I think for many of us it is hard to justify an 8k+ risk in a 20k car. VW will undoubtedly stop fixing this issue on their dime, bad news for CR owners.
20k? Loaded they're into the 30's w/out Navi. Sorry I added tax but you still have to pay it. Point is if it happens to your car it is almost 1/3 of the vehicles value! Hope it never happens to the wife's car!

Last edited:

Lencher

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav 6M
Mine is a premium with nav and was almost 27k so yeah anywhere from 20-low 30's is accurate. Still that's a massive % of the value in 1 repair.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Update

Volkswagen announced today that it would replace all HP Fuel Pumps on all TDI vehicles manufactured since 2009 with an improved design. A VW spokesperson said that Customer Satisfaction was well worth the estimated cost to VW of $2,000,000,000.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Volkswagen announced today that it would replace all HP Fuel Pumps on all TDI vehicles manufactured since 2009 with an improved design. A VW spokesperson said that Customer Satisfaction was well worth the estimated cost to VW of $2,000,000,000.
Do you have a link? I would really like to actually believe this is true. Is there going to be a recall to replace all HPFPs?

Have Fun!

Don

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Don---you may want to have another cup of coffee and check your calendar, i read that post with mounds of salt.
On the other hand VW may be trying to seriously fix the problem to get a good foothold on the US market.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
VW only built the devices to prevent owners from using gasoline instead of diesel fuel. NHTSA said its analysis shows “most failures do not result in engine stall while driving and, when pump drivetrain failure does result in stall while driving, it is usually preceded by numerous warning symptoms... The failure data for the subject vehicles show relatively low stalling rates (less than one percent at three years in service) for each of the pump designs used in the subject vehicles. There have been no reports of crashes, injuries or fatalities related to the alleged defect.”

NHTSA opened the probe in 2010 and upgraded it in February 2011 to an engineering analysis after 160 complaints. NHTSA said VW has not identified any design or manufacturing defects in the pumps and said they “were designed, tested and approved for use in the United States market, with substantial design margins for fuels that are out of specification. Volkswagen believes that misfueling with gasoline is the primary cause” of problems.
Guess NHTSA never drove one or had a failure, morons.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
East Coast humor... :rolleyes: In the meantime I'll be waiting.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
... from what I hear the pump is not designed for US spec fuel it has nothing to do with gasoline fueling prevention (cover up)... They need to do something about this. Some more 2013's and 2014's are going to bite the dust and someone is going to loose it and there will be a lawsuit. This needs to be addressed. 5 yrs of cars with bad fuel pumps?! They can't let this go on any longer. I'm going to print flyers up and start passing them out to everyone with 09-14 models. The mainstream public needs to be aware of the problem. Bad things happen to good people. Wake up the consumers! Who is getting paid to keep this quiet? VW made $28.6 billion profit on $254 billion in revenues in 2012, and its assets were worth $408 billion.

I wonder what the dealer cost is to fix this, the wholesale dealer cost for the parts and what they pay the tech for labor. They don't need to look at profits when fixing these issues, they simply need to look at it from a break even standpoint and keep these cars on the road for 400+k.

I know there have been several discussions but it seems very few tdi's have failed using opti-lube and b5 bio diesel.

Last edited:

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Wake up the consumers
You can not expose yourself to this issue by not buying one.

With the current news with the investigation closed, every CR owner should be weighing their options. Its acceptable to VW and the NTSB with a 99.1% first pass yield.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Fewer failures using OL probably because very few people using it regularly(compared to the whole population of VW diesel owners). If you look at the 2014 Infineum report any percent bio for the most part brought lubricity in line and generally in the 200's or 300's when B5 or more was used. One of the reasons I am using B5-B20 fuel today.

It is interesting to note that the failure rate was around 1% for the first 3 years in service and that "88.5% of failures had no indication of significant gasoline misfuel in the sample testing". Also "Failures resulting from fuel quality issues, including factors Volkswagen identified as likely causes of deposits observed in pumps with drivetrain failures, will not be prevented by the addition of misfuel guards".

Another factoid from the report states that of those reporting no warning of failure, the data retrieved from their cars showed that 100% of them got at least a mile to 60 miles of warning with a DTCP0087, glow plug light, chime and limp mode.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank You

Below is a link to the March 27, 2015 NHTSA Engineering Analysis Closing Report for investigation EA 11-003 concerning failure of the TDI HPFP
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM475595/INCR-EA11003-61863.pdf
I suggest everyone give it a read. In professional hands this will give very damming evidence concerning the lack of data that Volkswagen had to substantiate it's claims of miss fueling. Read it carefully.
Allot of contradictory info .
Using a tablet and cutting and pasting difficult for me.
Test vehicles used at various levels of miss fueling showed no hpfp failure???
Pretty sure I read that.....
lots of good stuff in there kiddies...lol
Hi percentage of failures vw blamed on miss fueling showed no evidence.
NHTSA says they will keep monitoring complaints.
Do all reports end like this?
They even had a high number of failures in the "we don't have a clue what caused it" category.
Give it a read, took me three times and I will again....lol
Thanks for the link