December Mileage Competition!

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
All are in US gallons. Well.. at least they should be and I'm pretty sure they are. Good point though.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Closing the book on 2005.

12/31/05 - Minneapolis, MN - $18.99
358.4 mi - 7.916 gal - 45.28 mpg - $2.399/gal - 5.30¢/mi
576.8 km - 29.965 L - 5.20 L/100km - 63.4¢/L - 30.37 km/$

12/2005 - Month to date - $109.72
1975.5 mi - 44.722 gal - 44.17 mpg - $2.453/gal - 5.55¢/mi
3179.3 km - 169.291 L - 5.32 L/100km - 64.8¢/L - 28.98 km/$

Jar-Head

TDI
06 Jetta DSG PKG1
Bob_Fout said:
What kind of error is there on the odo for those with stock tires and tranny? Can't see how it's much, since I could forsee some BIG legal issues. You buy or sell a car with xx,xxx miles on the odo, but it's really got yy,yyy miles. Sounds like fraud!
I am still showing 4.1mph diff @ 60mph on the GPS and the speedometer is indicating just under 65mph. My car is three weeks old and is completely stock. Odometer must be linked to indicated mph... wonder if VW is specifying production for a certain tire and the assembly plant in Mexico is substituting tires slightly smaller??? I don't know. If I "Plus 1" the tires it would correct itself.
My mileage calcs do not account for speedo error - so they seem to be slightly inflated.

tiesel

TDI
former owner Golf A4
Driver: tiesel
Miles: 352
Gallons: 7.26
Model Year: 2001
Model: Golf
Tranny: 5M
Fuel type: 100% Canola Oil + 3 oz Acetone

This is my return trip on 12-31 with some wet snow and wind. 48.5 mpg

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
jnecr said:
Results to be posted tomorrow!!
How about posting winners for the normal categories, plus cold-climate winners for the same categories?

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Well... I don't store any of that information (location, temp, etc.) so it's be kinda hard. Even though it's only gotten to about 25F around here in NC so far I've still been hit just as hard as everybody else because I have a short commute, so where would we draw the line for cold climate?

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
jnecr said:
Well... I don't store any of that information (location, temp, etc.) so it's be kinda hard. Even though it's only gotten to about 25F around here in NC so far I've still been hit just as hard as everybody else because I have a short commute, so where would we draw the line for cold climate?
Cold climate: Everything north of a line starting at the western end of the boundary of Washington and British Columbia, east to the Cascades, down the Cascades in Washington and Oregon, then around the eastern border of California to I-40, east on I-40 to I-24, southeast on I-24 to the Georgia line, then east on the northern boundaries of Georgia and South Carolina to I-95, then north on I-95 to the Virginia line, then east on the Virginia line to the ocean.

Or if you want one that does not divide states, put WA, OR, CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, HI, and SC in the warm side and everything else in the US and all of Canada in the cold side.

C'mon, we can give some credit for not being in Arizona or Florida the whole month.....

Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Hey! that would include me! But alas, no, it causes too much confusion and where would it stop? Next will be categories for drivers that weigh more than 200lbs.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Results!:

Overall Winner: watercop
Best New Beetle: Ernie Rogers
Best Jetta: watercop
Best Golf: gdr703
Best Jetta Wagon: Brock From WI
Best B4 Passat: Rammstein
Best B5 Passat: samspock
Best MKV: 53x19
Best Veggie Runner tiesel
Best Automatic Transmission: tdijetta01
Best DSG Transmission: Jar-Head
Best Biodiesel Runner: golfytdi
Best Pumpe-Düse: daBooj

If you didn't post your results in time, don't fret! I'll still add them to the sheet, but I won't update this thread any further.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
jnecr said:
Results!:
Holy crap! I was the only B100 runner for December? I guess the rest of you are in the cold areas, and stuck diluting for the winter. Viva Phoenix! :D

powerstrokeTDI

TDI
2006 Golf TDI, 5 sp manual
Thanks jnecr (John),

This is very useful to see how my car is performing compared to similar models and other TDIs. Good information and good fun. Thanks for doing
this and crunching the numbers.

powerstrokeTDI

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Audi5000TDI said:
Hookstra, December is closed, you need to put your entry in January.

Thanks.
I think this is his last December entry. I won't change the .jpg but I will add it to the database.. :)

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Driver: Rammstein
Miles: 1115.36
Gallons: 39.297
Model Year: 1996
Model: Passat
Tranny: 5 speed
Fuel Type: D2
MPG: 28.38

Wow....how low can you go...:(

Fuel return line to the #4 injector to the pump was pierced....

The engine itself didn't drink that much.

Next tank will definitely be better (it can only go up from there).:D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Et Voila!
All these months of Rammstein barely making higher mileage numbers than me now make perfect sense. He's probably been skewing his numbers by burning "next month's" fuel in this reporting period. Governments do this "deficit spending" all the time, spending tax income before it has actually been collected.
Finally at the end of the year, Rammstein had to put all that fuel into December and dropped his monthly mileage.
The annoyance is that he STILL beat my number!

cartog

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE manual, grey/black, Frostheater.
Year end data

Ok, I managed to burn through my tank just before year end. Lots of shorter trips and colder temps:

Date: Dec 30
Mileage: 688.6
Fuel: 16.6G (10.6G B100, 6.0G K1)
-----------------------
41.48 mpg at ~B60 (blended mostly with K1)

For the month I have 1605 miles/ 38.5 gallons = 41.7 mpg

For the year, I covered 18898 miles, using 446 gallons of fuel for a total of:
42.37 mpg at an average of B80. Hopefully I can work those numbers up for next year.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
3rd tank for the month -

Driver: Fix_Until_Broke
Miles: 675.7
Gallons: 14.55
Model Year: 2003
Model: Jetta
Tranny: 5M
Fuel type: D2 Artic Gold
MPG: 46.44

Includes a 5 mile WOT 120 mph indicated run, otherwise "normal" driving, not specifically for mileage.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Fix_Until_Broke said:
3rd tank for the month -

Driver: Fix_Until_Broke
Miles: 675.7
Gallons: 14.55
Model Year: 2003
Model: Jetta
Tranny: 5M - 0.681 5th
Fuel type: D2 Artic Gold

MPG: 48.58

Includes a 5 mile WOT 120 mph indicated run, otherwise "normal" driving, not specifically for mileage.
Did you top out 120?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Did you top out 120?
I topped out at 120 with stock gearing - I edited the post to correct the gearing and mpg which i entered incorrectly.

The 120 indicated was a bit interesting. It topped out at ~114 on the flat, picked up a couple on a slight down hill, maintained it on the up hill, picked up a couple more on the down hill to ~118 , etc. It always maintained speed going up hill, and picked up speed down hill. All speeds indicated

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Not sure if it's too late, but was just going through my receipts. Best tank in a while! :(

Driver: spicy_red
Miles: 639.27
Gallons: 15.11
Model Year: 2004
Model: Jetta Wagon
Tranny: Auto
Fuel type: Diesel

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Lug_Nut said:
Et Voila!
All these months of Rammstein barely making higher mileage numbers than me now make perfect sense. He's probably been skewing his numbers by burning "next month's" fuel in this reporting period. Governments do this "deficit spending" all the time, spending tax income before it has actually been collected.
Finally at the end of the year, Rammstein had to put all that fuel into December and dropped his monthly mileage.
The annoyance is that he STILL beat my number!
Do you mean that you went lower than 28 mpg?
I told you the first time we met with your B4V: tires were too wide.
You've got 205/50R15 and I've got winter 185/65/14.
Softer rubber has less rolling resistance...skinier means less friction....and a couple of mpg over your average.
The real reason is as follows: mine is black and yours is red.
Black cars get better mileage.
As proof of this theory: your sedan was black and was returning better mileage than your red variant.
:D
Have you taken the resolution to get rid of the 15" for the new year Jonathan?;)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
205 or .205? That is the question.

I had no entry for December. I'm still on the same batch of bio I started in November. Your 28 mpg is better than my "no entry". I'll have a January entry as soon as this weekend.
The 205-55-15 Continentals have been off the car since snow began. I'm running on 175-65-14 Green Diamonds. Skinnier (but same pressure) means less resistance, softer rubber increases coefficient of friction.
My 205 issue isn't the 205 width tires, its the .205 mm injector nozzles! I can't stop playing!