HAPPY New 2012 Touareg Owner..

JJ_BPK

TDI
Touareg TDI, 2012
We traded out 2010 TDI Jetta Wagen in for a new 2012 Touareg.

The Jetta was great, 28.5K miles avg 41.6 MPG,, but a little small and no tow package.

The deal,, we received almost max trade-in and the Touareg at invoice,, ++ VW fia 60 months @ 1.6%

2012 Touareg TDI Sport w/Nav
Canyon Grey & Anthracite,, tow package, cargo mats, 1st aid kit
Built in Bratislava, Slovakia..

Now I need to absorb this 500 page manual..
Does anyone have a PDF version?? It would be nice to have a search ability..

JJ

1goindiesel

TDI
13 Wagen 6 manual TDI
I own the same car with 6spd manual and about the same miles.
Great car but I too REALLY like the Touareg.

What did max trade turn out to be? About what does that make your pmts
on 60 mo's @ under 2% int?

I am considering the same trade but with fuel prices looking scary going forward I am not sure I want to leave 41-48 miles per gallon tanks of fuel.

JJ_BPK

TDI
Touareg TDI, 2012
The 2012 was 44.6K+7.5%tax,, 15.5K trade-in, & 1.6% loan.
We will do bi-weekly at around 290USD, for 130 payments..
bi-weekly (26 payments @ yr) helps..

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I was right behind one of those at a stop light today. Very sweet looking ride. Congrats on your purchase. I said to the wifey. When we retire in about 3 years we will sell both our 2011 Golf TDI's and get one of those. To my amazement she said "OK" :eek: :D :) :confused:

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I feel ya'

I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 Touareg TDI to replace my beloved Golf. Sport w/Nav, Blue & tan (same scheme as the old Golf). The torque is impressive- I can't imagine what the old V10s must be like. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the dark brown trim that comes with the tan interior. I'd rather the steering wheel and dash were black. Not a deal breaker, though, and I still like the color combo. FWIW the computer said 27mpg ave. on the morning commute today in mixed driving. Super impressed with the drive so far.

JJ_BPK

TDI
Touareg TDI, 2012
We are still very happy with ours. We looked at the tan interior and had the same reservations about the dark brown. Ours is black/gray with chrome trim.

We do have a couple quirks..

1)I think the drivers seat "parks" itself after the engine is off. I keep getting in and the back is leaning. We don't have the pre-set position buttons, so I end up manually re-seating myself.

2)Although we have the latest nav maps, there is a large stretch(50 miles) of US #1 where it posts the wrong speed limit.

3)You can't turn the radio off and still use the nav system. We are not incessant music listeners, so 95% of the time we have the stereo off. But I keep the nav on to see the traffic & TTD. We just turn the volume down..

4)No matter where you leave the volume when you turn off the engine, it automatically is turned up when you start the engine??

5)When I sync my phone, the car uploaded my phone book.. I do not like spreading around my personal info. If anyone knows how to erase the sync, I would be please to know..

6)There is less storage under the back deck than the Jetta,, much less. I barely have room for my tools, 1st aide kit, and jumpers.

I consider these problems as small and not complaints.

I'm still glad we stepped up to the Touareg.. :D

We did have one problem of some importance,,,

The Touareg sat at the dealer and had a dead battery when we went to test drive it. They recharged it, no problemo.. BUT after a week, the adBlue warning light came on with "700 miles",, two days later it was "600 miles". After reading the problems here, I looked and the tank was full. Back to the dealer,, they emptied the tank and refilled it, but they still had bunches of errors on the computer, after conferring with Germany, they think the dead battery had erased or altered some entries. Reloaded the system, no problems for the last two weeks..

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
We are still very happy with ours. We looked at the tan interior and had the same reservations about the dark brown. Ours is black/gray with chrome trim.

We do have a couple quirks..

1)I think the drivers seat "parks" itself after the engine is off. I keep getting in and the back is leaning. We don't have the pre-set position buttons, so I end up manually re-seating myself.

2)Although we have the latest nav maps, there is a large stretch(50 miles) of US #1 where it posts the wrong speed limit.

3)You can't turn the radio off and still use the nav system. We are not incessant music listeners, so 95% of the time we have the stereo off. But I keep the nav on to see the traffic & TTD. We just turn the volume down..

4)No matter where you leave the volume when you turn off the engine, it automatically is turned up when you start the engine??

5)When I sync my phone, the car uploaded my phone book.. I do not like spreading around my personal info. If anyone knows how to erase the sync, I would be please to know..

6)There is less storage under the back deck than the Jetta,, much less. I barely have room for my tools, 1st aide kit, and jumpers.

I consider these problems as small and not complaints.

I'm still glad we stepped up to the Touareg.. :D

We did have one problem of some importance,,,

The Touareg sat at the dealer and had a dead battery when we went to test drive it. They recharged it, no problemo.. BUT after a week, the adBlue warning light came on with "700 miles",, two days later it was "600 miles". After reading the problems here, I looked and the tank was full. Back to the dealer,, they emptied the tank and refilled it, but they still had bunches of errors on the computer, after conferring with Germany, they think the dead battery had erased or altered some entries. Reloaded the system, no problems for the last two weeks..
The phone sync I assume is when you are running the bluetooth hook up. I doubt your phone book is even there when you turn bluetooth off on your phone. I know when it is off on mine no info shows up under phone on the HU. Granted I am referring to the RNS 510 in my 2010,but I assume yours would be the same with the RNS 850.

If you have not done so join Club Touareg and read the post about the Adblue issue. It goes much deeper then your battery issue, I can assure you that. I hope your dealer is prepared to replace some parts and do a software update for it.

JJ_BPK

TDI
Touareg TDI, 2012
The phone sync I assume is when you are running the bluetooth hook up. I doubt your phone book is even there when you turn bluetooth off on your phone. I know when it is off on mine no info shows up under phone on the HU. Granted I am referring to the RNS 510 in my 2010,but I assume yours would be the same with the RNS 850.
Thanks will check..

If you have not done so join Club Touareg and read the post about the Adblue issue. It goes much deeper then your battery issue, I can assure you that. I hope your dealer is prepared to replace some parts and do a software update for it.
I'm already in the club and they already did the software update. He didn't go into details about parts, but did say they had a conversation with the factory in Germany. SO,, parts may also have been changes.

Thanks

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
2012 Touareg Sport with Nav.
My driver seat also sems to move. I thought it was creeping overnightt but now I am thinking I actually hit the button accidently when getting in and out of my Touareg.

According to the manual, after re-filling the urea tank you need to turn the key to the on position (without starting the vehicle) for 30 seconds. This enables the computer to sense the new level in the urea tank. I am sure that was not done by the dealer after re-setting your software.

JJ_BPK

TDI
Touareg TDI, 2012
My driver seat also sems to move. I thought it was creeping overnightt but now I am thinking I actually hit the button accidently when getting in and out of my Touareg.
The seat moved yesterday while we unloaded from shopping. I had left the key in and doors open. When I came back the driver side was back 15-20 deg..

According to the manual, after re-filling the urea tank you need to turn the key to the on position (without starting the vehicle) for 30 seconds. This enables the computer to sense the new level in the urea tank. I am sure that was not done by the dealer after re-setting your software.
We have not had any problems and have some 200-250 miles sense we were at the dealer..

Watching...

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
The seat moving is you hitting the buttons as you step out. They're in a bad spot and i've hit them many times. If you carefully step out without hitting them i guarantee your seat will never move again.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
The seat moving is you hitting the buttons as you step out. They're in a bad spot and i've hit them many times. If you carefully step out without hitting them i guarantee your seat will never move again.
It could also be the remote is set up for that setting, so every time you unlock the car it set it up. If you adjust the setting, then it will adjust to you liking every time you unlock your car with your remote. Same should be with the wife's remote.

As for the radio, there is a start up volume setting. If you set that to low then your radio will not be loud every time you turn it on.

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
It could also be the remote is set up for that setting, so every time you unlock the car it set it up. If you adjust the setting, then it will adjust to you liking every time you unlock your car with your remote. Same should be with the wife's remote.

As for the radio, there is a start up volume setting. If you set that to low then your radio will not be loud every time you turn it on.

The Sport with Nav version does not have memory seats.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I own the same car with 6spd manual and about the same miles.
Great car but I too REALLY like the Touareg.

I am considering the same trade but with fuel prices looking scary going forward I am not sure I want to leave 41-48 miles per gallon tanks of fuel.
I can't say I blame you there. For me it is/was a case IF you wanted/want an SUV, albeit crossover and a diesel, (got to love 406 # ft of torque on tap) then it gets one of the best fuel mileage figures for an SUV. (EPA 19/28)

Tow-rig

TDI
Touareg 2011
After 20K miles with my '11 still love it. I average 31-33 mpg at 70-75 mph freeway, abt 22 around town. Best was 40 mpg on one level, 55 mph section of interstate on a trip that was 50 miles. Worst, abt 9 mpg towing trailer at 85 mph. I tow a race car in an enclosed trailer, plenty of power for that, maintain speed up hils etc. Was nervous as Cons Rpts called the Touareg the worst of the worst but I haven't had the 1st problem.

zimm17

TDI
2012 Touareg
We just traded our 2010 Jetta TDI for a '12 Touareg TDI Exec. Got a killer deal ($1000 below invoice, 60mo with 0%apr, and good trade in on the Jetta).

Needed the room for the second kid that's on the way, plus traction in the winter.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I'm so close to upgrading. Could really use the room. I'm afraid to go in for a test drive.

I really like the color you got. That one or the dark blue.

Tow-rig

TDI
Touareg 2011
I have an '05 Prius as well as an '11 Touareg and my plan was to use the Prius for long trips and around town and save the Touareg for pulling my trailer or when larger capacity was needed. But the Touareg is so much more quiet, solid and so much easier to drive (sits up high, great visibility and actually handles better) that the Prius has become one of my kids' daily drivers as I cant seem to kick the Touareg habit.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
What year vehicle was that CR review based on? For the longest time (years), they kept regurgitating results based on the '04 (NA intro) model... :(
They still hold onto that info Schubie. That is the reason they give them such a bad rating. CR is a worthless rag imo for buying a car. Appliance shopping it is worthwhile using, but for cars not so much imo. :)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
After 20K miles with my '11 still love it. I average 31-33 mpg at 70-75 mph freeway, abt 22 around town. Best was 40 mpg on one level, 55 mph section of interstate on a trip that was 50 miles. Worst, abt 9 mpg towing trailer at 85 mph. I tow a race car in an enclosed trailer, plenty of power for that, maintain speed up hils etc. Was nervous as Cons Rpts called the Touareg the worst of the worst but I haven't had the 1st problem.
My 2012 VW Touareg Sport was delivered in flawless condition. After a fast 1,550 miles, it is still in some type of break in mode but still flawless. I just took it into the dealership for a 30 day courtesy vehicle inspection. During the new tire break in phase with loaded throttle romps to 4,000 rpm and decelerations, it got 36 mpg. Over all again during engine break in modes it is posting 31 mpg for 1440 miles.

wendell

TDI
2012 Toureg

The seat moved yesterday while we unloaded from shopping. I had left the key in and doors open. When I came back the driver side was back 15-20 deg..
I had to join just to address this. My seat is also moving and my dealer claims it is me bumping the switch but there is NO way I am bumping the switch (if that is even what is happening) long enough for the seat to move that much. I am also seeing at least a 15-20 change which would take around 3-4 seconds. If I am touching the seat switch, it couldn't be more than a half second.

Also, I was surprised at how out of date the maps were when I picked mine up.

Other than, love my Touareg which looks just like the one above but it is the Sport w/Nav.

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
I have had mine for about 5 months now. In the beginning, I had noticed how often the seat had moved since I had last driven the car. Now that I am aware of how easily I can brush the seat back button when getting in and out of the car, my seat seems to move much less often.

Last edited:

JettaChic04

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Dark Blue Metallic, 2012 Touareg Luxe Silver, 2015 Golf 4D, 2013 Q7
I have also noticed my seat moving and I have seen it do it when I am no where near any of the buttons, I have also had it happen WHILE I AM SITTING in the seat. It only does it about 1 in 10 times, but I find it happens more if I am sitting in my car for a bit after pulling the key out... It is like it is returning to a home position and then, the next time I go and open the car door (not unlock, because it doesnt get locked in my garage), the seat waits until I have sat down and returns to "my" seat positioning. I can find nothing in the manual about this...

Yes, sometimes when I am getting in and out I hit the buttons but this is different than that...

wendell

TDI
2012 Toureg
I have never seen mine move but as I said before, the amount the seat is moving could No way be caused by me just brushing the control as I'm getting in and out.

It takes me about 4 seconds to get the seat back to the proper position.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I have never seen mine move but as I said before, the amount the seat is moving could No way be caused by me just brushing the control as I'm getting in and out.
It takes me about 4 seconds to get the seat back to the proper position.
Maybe you need to go in to MFI and do a Factory Reset, so it forgets all the previous test drivers seat positions, then read the owners manual on how to set it up for you?

wendell

TDI
2012 Toureg
Maybe you need to go in to MFI and do a Factory Reset, so it forgets all the previous test drivers seat positions, then read the owners manual on how to set it up for you?
I don't have the memory seat, that's why I find this odd. What "memory" is in the seat that is causing this to happen?

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Figured I'd jump in on this thread rather than start another.

Just picked up my 2012 TReg TDI Sport yesterday, Toffee Brown with Cornsilk leatherette. So far so good...very happy with it, and I'm looking forward to getting some miles on it.

Before I bought it, I was browsing around here and club TReg and saw the comments about the moving seats. Sure enough, when I was cleaning it yesterday evening, I was inadvertently reclining both the driver and passenger seats. Incredibly easy to do!

A few pics if anyone is interested...