DPF plugged

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
How many miles on it? And if it's truly plugged, how can they send you on your way to keep driving it around? Won't that make things worse in the meantime? Seems that they should've kept it and gave you a loaner.

If you're still driving it around, you may want to try LubroMoly's DPF cleaner fuel additive. I've read good things about it. A nice hard highway run now and then keeps things clean too, just as an FYI.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Idparts dot com sells it, as does FCP Euro, and you might even find it on Amazon.

Edit: Idparts has the lowest price on the LiquiMoly DPF Cleaner additive at the moment. I'd grab a few and give it a shot. Beats having to replace the DPF...

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks for the info.
Ordered a can yesterday and a fuel filter.

Once in a while the car runs very rough and sounds funny after going about 100 feet with the car cold.
Want to see what's inside the filter and decide if the tank needs inspection also.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It's been above freezing each time.
Had it a bit yesterday AM, temp was 50+

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
Currently trying the Lucas one shot DPF cleaner, just added to tank though so not sure how it's going to do. I have been using their regular Diesel additive and was quite impressed, comes up well in reviews as well.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
It's been above freezing each time.
Had it a bit yesterday AM, temp was 50+
OK, yeah that's not it then.

The other thing I was thinking about is the small intake flap thingy that (when fails) causes the P2015 code. I've noticed since I added the fix (https://www.dieselgeek.com/collections/common-rail-tdi-p2015-manifold-fix) that I haven't really had the sumble/stutter/flutter on occasion, especially when the engine is cool and on really light throttle.

Besides this and fuel quality, not sure what else to look for.

JWF

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI
I just took our 2013 Jetta TDI into the dealer. Originally brought in due to engine light on and heater and defrost did not want to work. We used a code reader at home and showed an EGR code. Dealer checked heater core and all was good. Dealer says that issue is the particulate filter and that effects the heater. I was told DPF's were on backorder and have been for a while but that the item was warranty. It all started around Nov 19 and just brought to the dealer as of Jan 15th. Now the dealer says the part is not under warranty and the cost to replace is $2900?? We drive the car daily to work for about 30 minutes one way at 75-80 mph. I would think that would cover the regen issues.
I have a couple of questions:
Does this cost make sense? It seems ridiculous to me.
We had the emission recall done about 14 months ago. Would this not have been checked and addressed during that service?
Why is Volkswagen running thru so many of these units all recently? Took months to get one and was told they have been on backorder for a while?
How common is this issue and why is this so costly to fix?
How do you check this in the future to ensure you address before you get to this point?
Why do they not suggest the DPF additives if these will help prevent the issues? I do realize they like to make money on service I am sure.
Can this part be replaced by others than the dealer?
Is it true that the heater and defrost would be affected by this issue?
Thanks for any and all input!!

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
... Dealer says that issue is the particulate filter and that effects the heater. I was told DPF's were on backorder and have been for a while but that the item was warranty. It all started around Nov 19 and just brought to the dealer as of Jan 15th. Now the dealer says the part is not under warranty and the cost to replace is $2900??
Check your 'Fix' Warranty (Extended Emissions Warranty).
It may be different in the USA, but my VW Canada Warranty says:
Parts Covered Under Extended Emissions Warranty

The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:

The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, NOx Reduction Catalyst, Diesel Particulate Filter,
exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
.....and a whole lot of other stuff...

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Pretty sure your DPF is covered. That they're on backorder may indicate how reliable they are with the post-fix software running regens way more often than originally intended/designed.

Bottom line: be a little more forceful with your dealer and VWoA involved. All disputes are to be settled in favor of the customer. Their words, not mine.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
You should be covered under warranty. they are lying to you..what is the reasoning for them not covering it??..they "tried" to do this to me and others also..stand your ground..show them the warranty..print it out.. bring it..makes me sick every time I hear of a story like this..effin dealers!" Not all are bad.. just some..

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
DPF is most definitely covered.

A nice hard highway run now and then keeps things clean too, just as an FYI.
This doesn't seem to be true. I run mine hard. Autocross, track days, and I commute 25 miles pushing the car quite hard every time; it gets an Italian Tune-Up every day.

Mine still "clogged". I THINK the EGR is the real problem... which then leads to the DPF having problems.

Volkswagen replaced my DPF and EGR in September or October. I think it took about 6 weeks before EGR codes started popping again, followed up shortly by DPF codes.

Pretty sure your DPF is covered. That they're on backorder may indicate how reliable they are with the post-fix software running regens way more often than originally intended/designed.
They're on a serious backorder too. And like I just said, it took 6 weeks and less than 5,000 miles for mine to start acting up again. I put 25,000 on it before I started having trouble with it.

I'd rather just delete it, but that's rather expensive, and this isn't the car I'd like to spend that kind of money on.

Last edited:

JWF

TDI
Thanks for all for the input. Where is the "fix" or "emissions warranty" info referenced found. I also feel that all this is likely related to the emissions recall update that we had performed on the car? Thoughts on that?

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all for the input. Where is the "fix" or "emissions warranty" info referenced found. I also feel that all this is likely related to the emissions recall update that we had performed on the car? Thoughts on that?
There should have been a pamphlet in the glovebox when you got the car, along with a sticker on the driver's side window leading you to a website (I believe this is it; I took mine off so I can't remember: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/).

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel

JWF

TDI
Well my saga continues. My local dealer in Louisiana had to send my car to a TX dealer due to no mechanics at the LA Dealer that were familiar with the DPF. Dealer in TX now says the issue is the heater core (LA dealer originally said there were no issues with the heater core, they claimed the heater not working was related to the DPF), EGR Cooler and these items additional items thru routine inspection: sway bar bushings, oil return line seal (oil leak coming from turbo return line - seep). All this will run me about $3900. I think the pricing is ridiculous. Shop labor rate is $154hr. This is incredible. EGR Cooler (during GFF tech found valve stuck closed, tech check voltage and signal to 6 pin connector, wiring check okay, tech recommends EGR cooler)EGR cooler $415 and 7 hours labor total $1078. Heater core (GFF tech found P2457 for EGR below threshold) they say heater core needs replacing.(not sure how the heater core plays into this code and the EGR cooler??) Heater core $343 + 4.5 hours labor = $1036. Sway bar bushing replacement: bushings $246 + 4.5 hrs labor = $693. Oil return line seal: $5.00 + 2 hrs labor = $338. Car has about 206K miles and has always been serviced by the a VW dealer. Do these charges and these repairs sound correct/resonable?? This seems high to me. We are also pursuing the EGR and Heater core under warranty since we had the car brought in originally several months ago and but had to wait for the DPF. The original LA dealer told us back on the first trip in that the heater core was ok. We had a service engine light at the time and had no hot air coming from heater or defrost air. That is where this all started. Sorry for the length of this post. All input appreciated!!

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
EGR cooler would still be covered under the extended emissions warranty.

Heater core is likely not, and may or may not need replacing.

Sway bar bushings are to be expected after that many miles, I'd say. Again, not related.

The oil return line leak I'd definitely want fixed, if actually leaking. Minor seepage over time is probably just that.

Bottom line: whichever VW dealer has it should replace the EGR cooler on VW's dime. Then they need to confirm DPF is operating as intended, no CELs for anything emissions related.

The other items are secondary.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
EGR cooler should be covered under the extended emissions warranty.

Sway bar bushing replacement: bushings $246 + 4.5 hrs labor = $693.
This is a rip off... but it's because the bushing were made to essentially be non-replaceable, so you have to buy the entire front sway bar.

If you want to save money, but want to stick with OEM parts, you can order an OEM replacement bar/bushings from ECS for $195.

Or you can get aftermarket bushings from ECS for $92.

Getting just the bushings will likely add a bit to the labor, but it SHOULD still come out to less than the cost of the OEM bar.

To be honest though... you don't NEED a sway bar. You can leave the bushings bad and the only real ill-effect will be more body roll up front. For a commuter car that you don't drive aggressively, I'd skip them.

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
If the OP is at 206,000 miles then they are outside of the extended dieselgate warranty anyways. I will say this, you can get a used TDI anywhere from $7-9k with <50k miles. It seems crazy to invest $3,900 repairing a 206k mile one.

Again just my .02.

Edit* Did you consent to having your TDI shipped to another dealer for troubleshooting?

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
DPF is most definitely covered.

This doesn't seem to be true. I run mine hard. Autocross, track days, and I commute 25 miles pushing the car quite hard every time; it gets an Italian Tune-Up every day.

Mine still "clogged". I THINK the EGR is the real problem... which then leads to the DPF having problems.

Volkswagen replaced my DPF and EGR in September or October. I think it took about 6 weeks before EGR codes started popping again, followed up shortly by DPF codes.

They're on a serious backorder too. And like I just said, it took 6 weeks and less than 5,000 miles for mine to start acting up again. I put 25,000 on it before I started having trouble with it.

I'd rather just delete it, but that's rather expensive, and this isn't the car I'd like to spend that kind of money on.
What symptoms did yours exhibit?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If the OP is at 206,000 miles then they are outside of the extended dieselgate warranty anyways.
Maybe... Maybe not.

It depends on when the repair was done. If it has only been a year and 15,000 miles since the repair was done, then it is still under the minimum 4 year / 48,000 mile warranty.

Why else would the OP say "Glad it is warrantied" in the first post?