Bazaar electrical problem. Is my car possessed

ColdStartTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just bought a 99 TDI
beetle for my wife. In excellent shape and well kept. 150 thousand miles.
Last night I installed an Alpine stereo and everything seemed to go OK. Although I think it has nothing to do with it I also changed all the vacuum lines. The car seems to run great last night. In the morning my wife said the car wouldn't start and the hazards were on. When I got home the battery was dead so I charged it. When the battery is charged the car would not start but the lights were acting bizarre as well as the hazards were going off and on. Any ideas? Thank you very much Sarah Sara any ideas?
Thank you

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Take out the stereo and see if it's any better, might have upset something in there.

ColdStartTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Take out the stereo and see if it's any better, might have upset something in there.
I just took out the stereo and the problem is still happening. The car won't start and the hazard lights are being bizarre other lights seem to function somewhat normally.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does the beetle have the wring through into the boot lid? On the golfs the wires can break inside the rubber boots causing all kinds of electrical problems due to shorting.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

What you call the trunk, we call it the boot. In the likes of the golf there's wiring that goes through to the boot/trunk lid and the wiring can get broken where it flexes causing electrical shorts which can result in strange electrical problems.

I've no idea if the beetle has the wiring through the rubber boots into the trunk lid like the golf but if it does I'd check the wiring.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Is the dash cluster immobilizer light on/flashing?? I believe it looks like a traditional key shaped icon.
I'm assuming the starter cranks, but engine won't start??

Unrelated, hopefully, but anytime someone buys a used TDI: what sort of documentation do you have on the TB replacement?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Did you alter ANY of the wiring when you did the stereo install?

It's also possible that you just bumped/dislodged something. I'd go over all your relays and such: maybe out favorite suspect, the 109 relay?

ColdStartTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well I can't believe it. I did not tighten up the negative battery cable terminal tight enough when I finished. How dumb is that!!!!!!

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
You wouldn't believe the trouble a bad fan control module can cause. I'm glad you got sorted out w/o too much trouble!