Incredible MPG

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
Since resealing the IP on my B4 - I've logged consistent tankfulls at 53 MPG - 95% highway use @ 65-75 MPH. Logged one 55 MPG tank running 60-65 MPH. Last tank brought 55 MPG on the highway avg 70 MPH with some excursions into 75-80 MPH when late for work. The car has 335,000 miles on it.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
That's incredible!

The best I've gotten with my BEW was 49mpg cruising at 60. 44 at 70mph. Now with the 17" wheels I can only manage 44mpg.

Our BRM typically gets 38mpg. That's the SO's vehicle though, and she drives like an ass. I've currently got it for a full tank to see what she's really getting.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......these oil burners are something, aren't they?

My JSW finally matched my old VW diesel PU recently: 54 1/2 MPG (Hand calc'd).

This sailor has no complaints.

ez

Diesel252

TDI
Jetta
I've gotten 68mpg on a 2013 tdi with all deletes and a Malone Eco tune going 64mph about 10 car lengths behind a tractor trailer.Its a nice trick I use to gain an easy 5mpg.Get behind a tractor trailer about 10 car lengths so rocks can't fly back and draft.Find one going slower.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
I've gotten 68mpg on a 2013 tdi with all deletes and a Malone Eco tune going 64mph about 10 car lengths behind a tractor trailer.Its a nice trick I use to gain an easy 5mpg.Get behind a tractor trailer about 10 car lengths so rocks can't fly back and draft.Find one going slower.

I can't believe there is actually an effect on MPG 10 car lengths back. All the hypermilers seem to be nearly underneath the back of the semis.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have seen very low mpg in the winter - in the 35-38 mpg range. I have been thinking it was due to too many short trips, and no highway miles as well as just being darned cold.

So yesterday I had a chance to prove myself correct. I took a trip to pick up some parts in CT. I filled at my favorite Irving on the way down, and drove 280 miles down and back to the same station. 5.2 gallons consumed for 53 mpg, driving 65-70 all the way. Well except when doing stop and go from traffic congestion in the construction zones. Luckily the problem zones were not numerous.

Anyway, I feel good that my 4-dr still has it.

Cheers!

PH

Tinkertoy

TDI
'17 passat SEL 1.8t gasser, '13 passat se dsg
I regularly see 49-53 hand calculated on my '14 passat se

My best trip mileage was around 63

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My 2001 has Sprint Nozzles, and a 17psi tune. On a summer trip to Tulsa and back with the cruise set at 75, we consistently got 52 mpg. I don't remember what the I.Q. was set at though

kgerard

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
2015 Golf TDI

I got my new 2015 Golf TDI about 10 days ago and I'm getting GREAT mileage. Average is running 50 but getting quite a few 55mpg+ trips on my 66 mile drive to work daily.

Last edited:

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I'm content with my JSW putting out a combined 40MPG and being able to drive it like I stole it. What's more impressive (for me) is that I've been driving it for over 2 years without one single issue. I can't say the same for so called "premium" brands I've driven over the years (BMW & Mercedes in particular) that have had frequent issues like electronic failures and constant CEL's. Even more impressive is that I'm getting this kind of reliability from an inexpensive $25,000 car.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My first two TDIs, each B4 sedans, had MPG averages of 52.5 and 52 mpg. Not just highway, but lifetime* averages, winter and summer, trips and commutes, total miles driven over total gallons used.
The next two were B4 wagons, each at 50+ lifetime*

*lifetime in these cases means during my term of ownership, about 300,000 miles between these first four.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
I can't believe there is actually an effect on MPG 10 car lengths back. All the hypermilers seem to be nearly underneath the back of the semis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttgT1XZVvE
Obviously the Mythbusters can be sort of "soft science" but if you can find the entire episode they did some interesting wind tunnel work. It was surprising how far back the effects could be realized. Of course, wind direction and other factors come into play... but, it may just be possible.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttgT1XZVvE
Obviously the Mythbusters can be sort of "soft science" but if you can find the entire episode they did some interesting wind tunnel work. It was surprising how far back the effects could be realized. Of course, wind direction and other factors come into play... but, it may just be possible.
I'd think that it would be easy enough to test using either a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge.

I can actually feel a difference, and my UltraGauge supports what I'm feeling: I don't do it a lot, and I really can't say what distance I found that is best. If you're too far back you're hitting a lot of turbulence.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'd think that it would be easy enough to test using either a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge.

I can actually feel a difference, and my UltraGauge supports what I'm feeling: I don't do it a lot, and I really can't say what distance I found that is best. If you're too far back you're hitting a lot of turbulence.
Deejaaa has tested it with his UG...I think he's done a lot of hwy tests.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I've gotten 68mpg on a 2013 tdi with all deletes and a Malone Eco tune going 64mph
Thats the first thing I'm doing on my next TDI, Malone tune, egr and dpf deletes, not only for fuel economy but for longevity of that engine. There's no way that engines making it to 500,000 km untouched with all those regen cycles.