Replacing coolant tank expansion hose- DIY?

Asb

TDI
2002 golf
I have been told that the coolant tank expansion hose 1J0121109C needs to be replaced but the price tag for part and labor was fairly staggering. Seems like a straightforward process, but is this something we can do at home? Thanks!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Last edited:

Asb

TDI
2002 golf
Great thanks! Already got the tank end clamp off - is that tool absolutely necessary for the bottom end? And hey - I am originally from Jefferson ! Just got back last week.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
hose clamp

Great thanks! Already got the tank end clamp off - is that tool absolutely necessary for the bottom end? And hey - I am originally from Jefferson ! Just got back last week.
If you can get the clamp off with common hand tools you're OK.
But if you intend to "DIY" having a set of spring clamp pliers in the best way to go.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I have been told that the coolant tank expansion hose 1J0121109C needs to be replaced but the price tag for part and labor was fairly staggering. Seems like a straightforward process, but is this something we can do at home? Thanks!
How much could a shop possibly charge for this?

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow. I just priced the hose per the posted part number and 1stvwparts.com listed it at $95, so dealer retail would be at least $140! Is replacement as simple as removing two clamps and swapping the hose in 5 minutes? One end goes to the coolant resrvoir and the other to the small press-fit steel tube on the driver's side of the cylinder head correct? ID is about 1/4 inch (6 MM)? If so, go to the parts jobber and get some cut-to-fit coolant hose for about $10.

--Nate

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
How these shops get to those prices is this:
Replacment coolant $55.00
Hazmat disposal $25.00
Hose 1J0121109C : $125.00
Labor: $160.00 @ $80.00 per hour (or any part there of)
Total: $365.00

and that price does not include tax

Is this robbery, yes...is it legal? yes

Last edited:

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
How much could a shop possibly charge for this?

--Nate
LOL!!! I stopped at a new shop one day to get a quote. This was before I started doing all my own work, not having worked on anything deisel. I have a Jetta that has been rebadged to a BORA. Cannot for the life of me remember what i was needing a quote for.

BUT!!! As he was considering a price. He noticed it said BORA and immediately stated, "OH! It's a BORA!! Thats an Import! Those parts are going to be a little more expensive than the normal Jetta!":confused::confused::confused:

I was so dumbfounded that I was lost on anything else he said.... and couldn't get away fast enough!!!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
WOW! Just WOW.......it's no wonder I don't trust mechanics ( at least auto mechanics ).

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know they can charge those prices, I was kind of kidding. Here in Northern Virginia it's worse. Timing belt chage quote from the dealer, $1700.

--Nate

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
I know they can charge those prices, I was kind of kidding. Here in Northern Virginia it's worse. Timing belt chage quote from the dealer, $1700.

--Nate
Thats about par. Ive seen a post from a member. Posted a pic of the final bill. $2100. Can't remember if it included a water pump.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Expansion tank / reservoir coolant hose

I have some experience with this particular hose.
My vehicle is a 2002 Jetta/Bora MkIV ALH 5 speed, wagon, now about 230k miles on it.
Several years back, it was spewing hot coolant (mist) at the "pipe" connection
which I guess comes out of the " Coolant Line "; the other end of this very long hose is the Lower port of the coolant expansion reservoir (the plastic globe that you can see through, until it gets very dirty).
I mean, you hear this hissing sound as you're trying to determine why the coolant level in the reservoir has been bottoming out. The escape of coolant gets worse until you zero in on the problem.
To keep my vehicle running, I cut off the last couple of inches of that hose, and put one of those worm-gear stainless steel hose clamps on it, cinched it up and carried on. Until such a time as I could replace the hose with a fresh one.
But I wondered about this issue ... if the pipe is so hot, and the hose can fail like this, should it not afflict a lot of TDI owners ?
Now, several years later (summer of 2013) I have the vehicle running while driving up in the mountains. Doing some parking maneuvers somewhere, I notice all of this fluid coming from my car and staining the pavement. Oh no, I think, my VE pump fuel leak ( the head gasket, AGAIN !! ) is getting really really bad. But wait, this isn't fuel. It's coolant.
I open the hood and hisssss ... it's coming from the same damned hose, i.e. my 2nd hose failed in the same way. I took my pocket knife, chopped off the bad end of the hose again, shoved it back onto the pipe, and cinched up the hose clamp (the screw adjuster type) which I'm still reusing.
I have to buy this hose again, and I think the p/n 1J0121109C is correct for my vehicle.
EDIT: IDParts.com offers this ( p/n 1J0121109C ) made by Rein Automotive.
I've now been driving for a couple of months w/ the shortened hose in there.
I'm wondering whether using these worm-gear hose clamps hastens hose failure.
I mean, the original spring clamps are said to be compliant, i.e. they're good in terms of allowing thermal expansion. Anyway, the damned hose failed either way; the original one had the original factory spring clamp on it at first. I may try to get the correct size of spring clamp and put one on there this time.
While I was fighting with this, I was looking in the coolant reservoir and was disappointed to find that a lot of the translucent plastic features of its interior are floating around ... they became eaten away, after all those years of hot expanded coolant moving around in there.
I mean, this thing is pretty shot.
I think that p/n 1J0121407F must be the right reservoir for my vehicle. Something else I have to buy !
EDIT: IDParts.com offers these reservoir part numbers:
1J0121403B ( made by Meyle )
1J0121407F ( made by "OEM VW" )
Tank Cap (should buy that too, in theory) ... 1J0121321B ( made by CRP )

:( Larry

P.S. For convenience, instead of ordering from other online stores ( this time, IDParts had something that I wanted in particular )
Final EDIT: I ordered all of my stuff from IDParts but instead of buying a new reservoir cap, I bought just the "Coolant Reservoir Cap Seal" which is p/n 1H0121687A

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
That does not look like a pre-formed hose. I would be tempted to buy locally some bulk coolant hose with the same ID.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
take off the old one and measure

you can even take the hose in to the local NAPA or other auto parts store and ask for a length to replace.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I had to go to a NAPA to get hose, Autozone didn't have any that were not preformed. Might have to go to more than one place. Also, get hose clamps while you are at it--I was hoping to reuse the original spring clamps, but Mr Murphy struck, and the replacement hose was thicker. No biggie, as the local hardware store has clamps.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
It just occurred that some of the coolant hoses on my Golf have two different ID's. Found this out the hard way. So my suggestion may be invalid.

naltimari

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto; 2004 Passat TDI Auto; 2006 Jetta TDI Auto.
This job is a pain but do-able

Neither NAPA nor Advance Auto stocked the OEM replacement hose but they have it available for special order. I got it from Amazon; same price, better shipping and guaranteed delivery options.

The main challenge is to preserve the 2 double-hole plastic clips that shield and hold the coolant hose and the power steering fluid suction hose that run parallel to each other. The clips keep the hoses from shifting and migrating towards the pulley or rubbing up against the fan housing. There are also four thin plastic sleeves and 2 thick rubber sleeves (one high on the coolant hose and the other low). They are worth saving if you can. I was able to salvage both hard plastic clips, 2 of the 4 thin sleeves and the 2 thick rubber sleeves. I had to cut 2 of the 4 thin sleeves and so might you. In order to salvage all of the thin sleeves, you would need to remove the PSF suction hose and pull the 2 hoses in tandem and remove the sleeves while outside of the car. It seemed messy and might compromise the integrity of the old PSF hose at the connection points. The PSF hose is expensive and like the coolant hose is a special order item. It is a low pressure hose and if left alone may last a very long time. I opted not to tempt fate and slowly slipped out the old and in the new. Silicone grease helped reassembly.

The procedure is pretty straightforward. To gain some extra room I disconnected the passenger headlamp and back plate, along with some other obvious items. Take some pictures of the hose paths and learn how the clips open before you start to to mess with them. They open easily but you need to familiarize yourself with how and where to pick at them. Otherwise you will snap them and have to replace them.

k2h2

TDI
Golf, 2000, 5-speed manual, blue
Last edited:

Blah1234

TDI
Vw jetta 03 1.9 tdi
Wow. I just priced the hose per the posted part number and 1stvwparts.com listed it at $95, so dealer retail would be at least $140! Is replacement as simple as removing two clamps and swapping the hose in 5 minutes? One end goes to the coolant resrvoir and the other to the small press-fit steel tube on the driver's side of the cylinder head correct? ID is about 1/4 inch (6 MM)? If so, go to the parts jobber and get some cut-to-fit coolant hose for about $10.

--Nate
I know this is old but I came across this and had no idea the hose your talking about is what I'm looking for. But the dealership gave me the exact name because with out it or the part number you can't find it. The diagrams suck. (Expansion tank to water pipe) also found it online for 43.89 from autousaZ.com

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
LOL!!! I stopped at a new shop one day to get a quote. This was before I started doing all my own work, not having worked on anything deisel. I have a Jetta that has been rebadged to a BORA. Cannot for the life of me remember what i was needing a quote for.

BUT!!! As he was considering a price. He noticed it said BORA and immediately stated, "OH! It's a BORA!! Thats an Import! Those parts are going to be a little more expensive than the normal Jetta!":confused::confused::confused:

I was so dumbfounded that I was lost on anything else he said.... and couldn't get away fast enough!!!
You should have taken out your felt pen so you could get an American price.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta