2000 nb 1.9 tdi chugga chugga choo

Diablo362

TDI
2000 newbeetle
Hey im new to the forums. I made my account in the winter while diagnosing no turbo issues. Alh motor and you guys helps out with that i didnt even have to start a thread or make a post to figure out i had a rusty actuator that i fixed by talking it off and putting it back on. Just fixed no powersteering too but since i got this black beetle 1.9tdi its been running like the fuels gelling up. Sounds like a train bucking like an animal but once you lean on it enough it runs fine. Its a pain in the meow. Any input would be appreciated this forum is the best. Thanks - @TOMMY_VOGEL on instagram for pics

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Explain a little more this issue, does it happen on start up only when it is sitting overnight or for a extended period of time? How much diesel do you have in the tank when this sympton occurs?

Diablo362

TDI
2000 newbeetle
thanks for the response, doesnt matter how much fuel i have. Usually whenever i cold start it even in 60 degree weather. Once the car is at normal temps its barely does it but is still noticable. This car sat for 5+ years and the motor maybe sat for 2 years not even but ive put over 7000 miles on it, most of which triggering limp mode and no Ps. Its like i can hold it at 1/3 throttle and itll start smoking and chugging and once you push it more towards half way down it will sound like its running flawlessly. I have some low power symtoms maybe could need to readust actuator rod but i deff wanna fix this issue before i start moving to other little problems. Maybe injector nozzles could be all caked up? She starts right up.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Last edited:

Diablo362

TDI
2000 newbeetle
So i kept driving the car and from what i can gather is the entire time i had a bad dmf and it got really bad i got it home to find a trail of what seems like tranny oil behind it for about a mile. Should i fix the car? What other damage could i have done do i need a transmission?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Hey man, are you sure your trail of oil isnt engine oil? This happens when the exhaust side seal on the turbo impeller shaft fails and the engine oil (used to lubricate/cool the impeller shaft) soaks the entire exhaust.

Usually failing dmf do not leak oil because they are not in contact with any oil. Only way i can think you would have tranny oil leaking is if your failing dmf exploded and took away your input shaft or it blew a hole in the trans ?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
A leaking rear main seal could mess up a clutch, it could also leave a trail of oil.

Diablo362

TDI
2000 newbeetle
Ended up using the trans from the original motor new clutch single mass flywheel. Clutch is softer then before but grabs nicely. Now the cars got everything newish from the battery timing belt powersteering rack new balljoints one popped off on an off ramp. Still runs like its gelling i guess once is gets warm its much better. Newish fuel filter. Maybe injectorr? Timing should be good. Got an alignment but my steering wheel pulls to the right slightly and it wobbles on an off like every other second on the high itll pull back and forth. I want nozzles. Anyone wanna buy 1.9 tdi smf clutchkit?

Diablo362

TDI
2000 newbeetle
Fixed my low power/limp mode with a new mass air flow sensor and a new actuator to replace my rusted one that wouldnt hold vacuum. Also put new nozzles and no longer buck around