1996 VW PASSAT TDI WAGON 82K mi $6000

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
if the miles are real, isn't the buy-it-now price not so bad?

Shastapk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
No more buy it now. FYI- I noticed in his feedback he buys quite a bit of car parts and motors and has sold cars, but it is 100% positive. This one might nickel and dime you to death as many B4's will. Anyone do a carfax?- I'd be cautious about those low miles- i.e. cluster swap. Interior does look fairly clean as a lower mile wagon might have- hard to tell though.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I did the ebay auto check but did not buy it (the record check that is). It had 22 records, and they have a score system, which does not mean much to me, but their score was like 33-52 or some such rot. Seems like low miles to me. It will need some Passat B4 issues (door handle/keys etc) addressed. But it does look fairly clean. I wonder if he is the original owner. I wish I were closer to him.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
I'd snatch that thing up quick for the BUY IT NOW $ if I were in the market.

Great daily driver/beater at least. :p

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Priced low so the next owner isn't so upset when he/she finds out the cluster has been replaced...

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I pulled the carfax report and it shows miles go from

20,000 in 1998 to
58,000 in 2000
60,000 in 2001
40,000 in 2005
77,000 in 2007

Also three "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED"

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Hmm, another ebay auction that is not on the up and up? nah, could not be?

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
The gentelman has been asked about this seemingly innacurately described mileage issue. Let's see what the response ends up being? Should be interesting. :)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
he was pretty quick to say he didn't know how many owners there were, go check carfax. the answer will be the same i bet on the mileage. that's too bad. windsor blue is pretty. and that thing is 1 hour away from me.

benpfree

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 jetta
Hmmm. I am in california and I was thinking of bidding on this car to buy as an extra car/sports gear hauler. I'm really cautious now after reading this thread. You guys really think the odomter was switched?
thanks
Ben

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
The odometers are failure prone. I have no idea if this guy knew it was swapped (meaning somone fixed the car) or not, but yes, with that mileage, and that carfax report, I would say it has been.
The oil is most likely not a huge deal on those vintage engines. You most likely would be looking at a premature turbo failure at most if the oil change schedule was maintained. I have a friend that has run his 97 Jetta on that oil for years and has no problems. But YMMV of course. If you don't mind a fixer upper car depending on the price this might not be too bad. Around here though, mislead people about a car and watch out. :)

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I told him the CarFax showed it was not the correct mileage. He responded "To my knowledge the current mileage is correct" I responded and told him to pull a CarFax.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The seller doesn't "get it". He's OTL* :(

*out to lunch

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The seller is obviously playing dumb. If you do the math on the Carfax odometer readings, you're looking at a car that has anywhere from 100K - 150+K miles, depending on how many miles were driven after it reached 60K on the first cluster in 2001 and how many miles were on the second cluster when it was installed.

Shastapk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I think the future "buyer" should be informed of this. I think you can contact them right after the end of the auction, once their username is no longer anonymous. If I was in a similar situation, I'd be grateful for the heads up.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This identical scenario played out about a year ago with that young fella that just couldn't get his facts aligned with reality...that was another B4 w/mystery miles, IIRC.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
the car is over $6400 now with almost 3 days to go. I think $6000 was a good price, even with some shadiness of the actual mileage

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
it could be real mileage my '96 passat wagon tdi has only 88 k on it.. we are the second owners etc...so the mileage could be legit...some of the other stuff is questionable.
Later
Deo

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
therabbittree said:
it could be real mileage my '96 passat wagon tdi has only 88 k on it.. we are the second owners etc...so the mileage could be legit...some of the other stuff is questionable.
Later
Deo
It's only legit if the the odometer randomly runs forward, backward, then forward again. You did see the carfax mileage in this thread, right?

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
I see the owner has disclosed the mileage issue on the auction page as of Monday. He says he will let anyone backout of thier bid if this is a concern to them. I'll be interested to see if he ends up having to relist it or not. It's up to $7100 currently...assuming the bidders don't backout.