Rear Brake making strange noise?

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Question:

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI with 109k miles.

When I brake, my car is silent, as usual,
But when I release the brake pedal from a stop, I "sometimes" hear a small squeak from the rear brakes. This has recently started happening.

The rear pads and rotors are still good, pad are at about 90% good, and I have only had one pad replacement.

There is no squeaking as I brake the car, but there is only when I lift off the pedal for a split second, like something is becoming unstuck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Fabian.

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
not quite sure, but I have been running with the same "new" pads for 30.000 miles, installed by a local mechanic, with out issue untill now..

F.

manic_monkey

TDI
golf mk3 TDI
Caliper slide bolts sounds right.

Cant think of much else that would cause it. cars nose dive slightly under breaking, and when you lift off the brake the rear end 'drops' back to normal. could be a squeak from the suspension i suppose?

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Would this appear all of a sudden after 30k miles on the new pads..?

Should I run to the mechanic to get this caliper slider bolts cleaned and lubed ??

Thanks,
F.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
i would if i was you. it's possible that the they still had a smidgeon of grease left but even that dried off and now they're sticking, causing noise back there. a small can of brake parts grease is a few bucks, it only takes 30 minutes to take off wheel, the two bolts holding the caliper and pulling out the sliding pins; degrease them first, put new grease on, slide back in rubber boots, put caliper back on and re-install bolts, btw those caliper bolts are one-time use normally, torqued to yield and should be replaced every brake job. ask your mechanic if they've been replaced, just to see what type of quality work he usually does.

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Gosh, the brake job was done 30k miles ago, I don't think I could get the mechanic to remember what he greased/changed so long ago.

I know this is lame question, but what's the harm in running like it is? Could my brakes snap off or be irreparably damaged?

Life is so much easier with a good impact wrench and car-lift.. I don't have the tools needed to remove the wheel and grease the bolts. argg..

Thanks guys,
F.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
what's the harm? overheated brakes, leading to faded brakes, leading to boiling brake fluid, leading to no brakes. or maybe not so tragic, just an early pad and rotor changed due to drastically shortened lifespan (heat kills pads) and warped rotors (heat causes that too).

not trying to be a messenger of doom.

it would be well worth it for you to get some tools, which you'll use more often than you think. plus the satisfaction that you will have fixed things yourself.