2 & 3 bar maps

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black
Is there an advantage of using a 3 bar map even if you do not plan on boosting over 20? Would the 3 bar be more linear since you would be controlling more in the middle of it's scale rather than the upper end of the 2 bar map.

Ynot

Aligator

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
AGR, AVF, AMF, BLB
no, there is no advantage of using 3 bar map if you don't go over 1.5bar boost.
if you want to use it and have good boost contoll you need to get your ecu reprogrammed.

KI4HOK

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex silver Jetta wagon
The only thing that the 3bar map should (I'm still expermenting) do is dupe the computer into giving you about 4-5 pounds more boost. I'm still looking into it, will post results.

By the 3bar map is available at the dealer, its used on the Tourag. $56.05 @ Suncoast Motersports.

Aligator

TDI
AGR, AVF, AMF, BLB
3bar map will give more boost for sure but it will also make car boost more during part load which is not good.

KI4HOK

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex silver Jetta wagon
Why is more boost during part load bad?? I can understand if you are in a surge area, or something like that, but I thought more boost would be better expecally if you have smoke issues.

Sorry if this is a boneheaded question.

Aligator

TDI
AGR, AVF, AMF, BLB
Why is more boost during part load bad??
Boost doesn't come out of nowhere. Boost comes from exhaust gas dynamics so if you want to have more boost more energy has to be put on turbine to spin it faster -> therefore higher EMP -> higher load to the engine -> efficiency is worse -> worse mileage.

So at part load it is the best to run on as low boost as possible but high enough to let all fuel burn well.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I wonder how much boost at 70mph on cruise would the 3bar map increase the PSI? I've played with IQ settings and can get from 4-10psi - thats a huge range!

This could be a means of fixing a car that smokes other than playing with the IQ. which effect boost as well

Aligator

TDI
AGR, AVF, AMF, BLB
It will add up to about 20% more boost, but IMO this not the way, especially if you run RC4 - it will kill you turbo very fast because you'll run about 2 bar boost (29 psi) at WOT on a 3bar map.

The proper way is to get 3bar map and get the ecu reprogrammed to work with 3bar map.