Question regarding fuel filter change intervals and bad filters

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
This has me puzzled, perhaps I can get some insight or maybe others have experienced this.

Fuel filters are supposedly changed anywhere from 35,000-50,000 kilometers and it's recommended.

I've been doing mine at every 40,000 for about the last year. My most recent change was met with some difficulty.

Seems this particular replacement filter did not want to get going even after pre-soaking with clean diesel. Long story short, the purge valve at the bottom wasn't 100% tightened up. Even with using slip lock pliers to snug up the purge valve, I still feel like that is a warning sign of a bad filter. Has anyone else had this experience?

Also, silly question, but there is another vehicle, a 2001 TDI owned by a friend. I don't think they have changed the filter since owning the vehicle. Theirs seems to idle perfectly and never gives any troubles. As the old addage goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it" . Or is that foolhearty thinking? Beyond maybe the odd losened micro contaminant that could be in the tank or fuel line, what else would be contributing to the mess inside the fuel filter? Is changing fuel filters that often really beneficial? Or should it only be done when certain symptoms crop up?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My rule of thumb is change it every other oil change I change the fuel filter. Really it all depends on how dirty the fuel is you're pumping into your car. Every other service keeps things clean. I mean they're not that expensive to begin with, and diesels really require good fuel flow.

I haven't had issues with the drain valve on any filter I've used, what brand filters are you using?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
This has me puzzled, perhaps I can get some insight or maybe others have experienced this.

Fuel filters are supposedly changed anywhere from 35,000-50,000 kilometers and it's recommended.

I've been doing mine at every 40,000 for about the last year. My most recent change was met with some difficulty.

How many miles do you drive per year?:)

Seems this particular replacement filter did not want to get going even after pre-soaking with clean diesel. Long story short, the purge valve at the bottom wasn't 100% tightened up. Even with using slip lock pliers to snug up the purge valve, I still feel like that is a warning sign of a bad filter. Has anyone else had this experience?

Also, silly question, but there is another vehicle, a 2001 TDI owned by a friend. I don't think they have changed the filter since owning the vehicle. Theirs seems to idle perfectly and never gives any troubles. As the old addage goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it" . Or is that foolhearty thinking? Beyond maybe the odd losened micro contaminant that could be in the tank or fuel line, what else would be contributing to the mess inside the fuel filter? Is changing fuel filters that often really beneficial? Or should it only be done when certain symptoms crop up?

I think your last paragraph shows that modern diesel is pretty clean. I'm not sure I would base my vehicles maintenance on one case of "forever filter".:)

I would think that in a warm climate a filter would/could last a very long time, assuming decent clean fuel.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen says to replace it every other service. It is right in the manual.

Diesels have no purge valve, because they have no evaporative emissions system.

The valve on the bottom of the filter is a water drain, to drain water out of the trap at the bottom of the can. The filter element inside does not go all the way down to the bottom, there is a separate compartment at the bottom.

The fuel is not just to make the engine run, it is also the coolant and lubricant for the entire fuel system. It should have the filter changed according to the service manual for best operational life.

Things like this are why some of us never ever have any driveability problems, starting problems, or any other fuel system related strangeness, even after hundreds of thousands of miles, while others seem to always have problems.