Writing a research paper - any ideas?

pikawelschool

Hey guys, I'm in the school library trying to brainstorm ideas for a diesel related research paper.

If I did a diesel vs gas... do you think I could prove diesel is better? Biodiesel vs gas seems like a good topic but the teacher said it would make for a ****ty paper, in so many words.

The two research papers I have the consent to write are Compare / Contrast where something must be proved or an argumentative paper.

I asked about Biodiesel VS Gas as an argumentative paper and it was dismissed as being informative. After that, I started rambling about 'buying gasoline = buying terrorism' and she said I was on the right track.

If the TDI crew has any suggestions, my ears are open.

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
Sound like typical instructor BS if you ask me. Does she want you to do research or just pander to her needs? Is this a real research paper or just for some communications course?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
pikawelschool said:
The two research papers I have the consent to write are Compare / Contrast where something must be proved or an argumentative paper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's one. Put yourself in the position of a prospective car buyer trying to decide whether to buy a diesel car. Then you've got all the pluses and minuses (better mileage vs higher MSRP, etc.)
Or argue in defense of one position or the other.

Danaan

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, '03, Platinum Grey
Out of curiosity, what type of class is this for (physical sciences, social sciences)? and at what level(high school, college/university... elementry school?! Start 'em into the TDIs at a young age! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Personally the "buying gasoline = buying terrorism" is a terribly opinionated paper - which is fine in a personal paper, but when you say a 'research' paper, I think of providing fact. Try telling Mr. Klein (the Premier of Alberta) that buying gasoline (or any crude oil if you want to include a broader scope) from Alberta implies fueling terrorism - and provide solid, factual evidence to support that. May be difficult.

If it's a social science based paper, maybe you could argue some of the aspects of the reasons why diesel is popular across the pond, but not here (well, there... both come to think of it... /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) Perhaps the impact of using diesel over gasoline, or the misconceptions of diesel as a practical, 'day-to-day' fuel for the masses? "Diesel: Social Stigma or Future Fuel"?

From the physical science point of view, if you're up on your chemistry, perhaps a breakdown of the two different fuels (maybe include other alternate fuels?) and compare them. Perhaps argue in terms of refining and manufacturing processes involved, environmental consequences, etc..? Hm... don't have an alliterative title for that one, sorry... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anywho, just popping out a couple of suggestions!
-- Adam

TdiDog

TDI
A4, 2001,Blk
Last year I did my thesis at U of MD on alternate fuels...lots of information on the net. The big problem was infrastructure support for Hydrogen in fuel cells...You could take a biodiesel approach which would would make interesting reading .. also the current infrastructure would support it. (storage and distribution)

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
A little more information:

This is an ENG102 course. The paper can be on anything just as long as the topic strokes her fancy. In all seriousness, this is class for dumbasses. Thea teacher makes up words on the fly that fit what she's talking about... when she knows. I found out a couple weeks after the class began that the football coaches refer their players to her class.

Controversial... she's wants controversy. Her idea of controversy is whether or not kids straight out of high school should go into the NBA. Ask her about gay marriages or the ACLU / Libertarian party - "No, we're not going to touch on those subjects" - She's a Souther Babptist minister!

She doesn't use e-mail so I can't ever get a hold of her... she's actually a nightmare, reallly.

This paper, although requiring 1500-2000 words, is going to be pretty basic and barefly surface scratching. I'd really like to do something on diesel / biodiesel / alternative fueling. I'm going to ask her about the "put yourself in the shoes of a new car buyer" idea.

-Ash

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
[ QUOTE ]
natescape said:
Out of curiosity, why did the teacher think bio vs. gas would be a bad paper?
[/url]

[/ QUOTE ]

"That's information, I could go on the internet and get that!"

Translation: I don't know.

Figster

TDI
2002 TDI Golf
I have a kind of off the wall idea if you're really into the technical aspects of diesels. Compare and contrast common rail (solenoid coil actuated) injection vs. the VW "pump-deuse" (unit injector, cam driven) vs. the piezoelectric actuated common rail injector... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SAE has lots of info on the different types of injectors, I'm sure, which if you're going to an engineering school, the library should have access to the documents online...

Uhhh, maybe this is more a master's thesis rather than a Eng102 paper.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Figster

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Hahahah, yeah, I'd so man. How can I make something pertaining to biodiesel controversial?

"You should stop using Gasoline NOW for biodiesel!"

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS
[ QUOTE ]
pikawel said:
Hahahah, yeah, I'd so man. How can I make something pertaining to biodiesel controversial?

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't checked out the biodiesel section of these forums, have you? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Danaan

Veteran Member
TDI
TdiDog: That sounds cool, has your thesis been published? Where might we be able to find it? Thanx! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Biodiesel controversy? As Ricdude said, the Biodiesel forums should probably have something in there! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe try the clogging injectors issue - does the company have a right to say "no, you can't use fuel type X" in your vehicle? arguement. Or one from and environmental points view - biodiesel as a clean source, but something about the resulting emissions (can't comment, don't know a lot about them, but I *think* they have other pollutants, such as aromatics or something? Don't hold me on that... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)?

Too bad your teacher's a twit though... unfortunately, it's the politics of schooling. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best of luck with it!
-- Adam

Danaan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thought of another one that might be controversial enough... how about farmers vs. oil tycoons? biodiesel vs. "dino"diesel, soy vs. oil, etc.. I bet you could make a pretty controversial arguement about how biodiesel hasn't taken off because like h*ll the oil companies (*cough* and the govenors and other politicians they support */cough*) would let profits drop to save the environment...

Just another thought... /images/graemlins/smile.gif
-- Adam

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
you could do a paper about the purposes, operation, and problems of the EGR and diesel fuel quality.

davreich

TDI
'99.5 Golf TDI
Hi,
Some random ideas. The cost of diesel type fuel refining vs auto fuel on a world scale. Diesel, heating oil,and jet fuel are all in the same category. This could be huge. Also you can compare the diesel engine ease of maint.and fuel mileage vs auto engine.
Then touch on refinements to diesel and auto engines to meet new environmental standards (electronic/turbo/injected). Note:Jet aircraft create a great majority of the worlds air pollution. (best plan-get your professors approval before writing it up to secure a good grade)

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Arrrghhh... why is this teacher the way she is? She's turned down absolutely everything. Some guy in my class had a potential topic concerning the disposal / use of depleted uranium and the controversary concerning it... - "No, I've never heard of that."

Dumb as a bag of rocks. I ask if I can do "Should universities have racial quotas?" -
"No, no school topics."
"But it's more about affirmative action than school."
"Ok, someone is doing that."

???
Funny how the first thing the class had read about was finding a subject that interested the writer so the research wouldn't be boring. Well, I found several! Now let me use one!!!

Kids are getting away with a lot more basic topics: "Should we clone humans?" "Does violence in videogames influence kids to strangle their stubborn ENG102 teachers?"

Eh, whatever, I wish I had something to prove with, "Compare and Contrast: Led Zepplin and the Who."

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
At this point, I'll try it. I'm sure I could conjure up the sources.

"Ultimately, Mighty Mouse and Superman would have their asses handed to them on a silver platter by the one and only Punisher. While his weaponry and means may seem civilan... uhh... GUNS!"

Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2 dr 2003 Mojave Beige, ESP, CWP, Monsoon, 2003.5 console
It seems like fuel stuff is out since the teacher probably won't want it. How about the northeast blackout and regulation (or lack) of electricity sort of thing?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
I think you're going about this wrong. You want to be helpful and informative. This is a mistake.

All the topics you've said she approved have been argumentative, not compare and contrast. The C&C will tend more toward "information" anyway. Sounds like she wants to hear an impassioned plea for a position, and a sound rejection of the opposing viewpoint. Regardless of the facts. Or some such BS.

It also sounds like the more unconventional and outlandish your thesis, the more it'll strike her fancy:
<ul type="square">[*]Children should carry handguns from age 5
[*]Slavery should be reinstituted
[*]Al-Qaeda candidates should get an automatic ballot listing[/list]Maybe tone it down slightly from these.

The goal is not a good idea supported by facts, but being persuasive about a farfetched and possibly bad idea by spinning the facts in the best possible light. That'll get you the "A".

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Something else you might consider is the music industry's sueing of all the file shares, or microsoft's product acivation. Hope u can find a good topic, i know how hard it is to write about something you care nothing about.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
[ QUOTE ]
pikawel said:
Arrrghhh... why is this teacher the way she is? She's turned down absolutely everything. Some guy in my class had a potential topic concerning the disposal / use of depleted uranium and the controversary concerning it... - "No, I've never heard of that."

Dumb as a bag of rocks. I ask if I can do "Should universities have racial quotas?" -
"No, no school topics."
"But it's more about affirmative action than school."
"Ok, someone is doing that."

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference between ignorance and indifference?

I don't know and I don't care.

That seems to be her attitude.

Anyway, it looks like she wants something that is full of opinions, emotions, and "what ifs." Nothing that can be proven. Some "research" or C&C paper eh?

Can you give us some more examples of what other people are writing about?

Well, regardless, good luck with the paper.

-Nick

TdiDog

TDI
A4, 2001,Blk
Here is another one for that twit instructor...looks like she wants to her students to address social issues. First rule of writing or speaking.."know your audience" therefore you are going to have to take the approach of social impact of certain fuels or types of vehicles..IE SUVs vs. Environmental vehicles..does social responsibility have an impact when purchasing a vehicle? I know the answer but it's your paper