Buy a high mileage 06 jetta?

vwcruisn

TDI
05' Jetta GLS
Hi all... im new to the mk5 world.. know a bit about the mk4s....

I'm looking at an 06 jetta 5 speed manual with 160k miles... based on my knowledge of the mk4s... i know that is nothing... but what about the mk5s? what problems could i potentially face? Sorry for my ignorance!

seller states the following:
-Upgraded ECU (Racing Control Unit Program)
-New Tires
-New Fuel Filter
-New Timing Belt(150k)
-New Water Pump(150k)
-New Lifters
-New Injectors
-New Camshaft
-New Clutch (at 50k for Recall)
-New EGR Valve and Cooler

Last edited:

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
-New DMF?
-New lift pump?
-New..rest of the car...?

How much is this guy asking for it?

I can see everything else (failing) but the injectors, unless it was an upgrade because he is racing it. In that case it probably shouldn't have a DMF. And was that 150k belt the second timing belt job that's been done or? They do have 80k mile change intervals and I do hope all the rollers and the tensioner was replaced too.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
If the work on that car was done right, then I have seen a lot worse. It all depends on what you think its worth in the condition its in.

I saw a bone stock car at the same mileage in Tampa FL listed at $16k.

I myself overpaid for my car cause it hadn't had its timing belt and everything done yet so I would know it was done by me and done right. Plus the previous owner was anal and wouldn't let the car go for less, and I liked the car.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Sounds like a cam/lifter failed. I question if the oil pan were pulled and the debris removed. Not good residue to have basking in your oil.

The "Racing Control Unit Programing" sounds funny:confused: I am unfamiliar with that tune. Perhaps it has RC (Rocket Chip) reprograming and the guy is unwittting calling it Racing Control.

Not a bad price, but, be very, very cautious.

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Just because the cam and litters where changed out doesn't mean the failed catastrophically. I would ask about it and I would still pull the valve cover off and look to see how they are wearing. Get as much info as you possibly can and report that back here.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
i don't think that is an unreasonable price. find out who did the work.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
a couple of things: I wouldn't pay more than $8k for that car. Period. Another thing, if he hasn't been running 505.01 oil spec *every time*, don't walk, RUN away. Listen for a rattle at idle, if so, take that $8k starting point and make it $6500. There are so many BRM TDI's out there with less mileage, so don't get too fixated on this one.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
You can take mine off my hands for payoff on the note. I'll even drive it to you in California.

I'm not joking. I have way less miles.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yeah that guy is smokin something good. I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. Realistic price should be 7k tops.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah that guy is smokin something good. I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. Realistic price should be 7k tops.
Realistically I saw a 2001 jetta that was beat to hell and back at 200k miles and ran like it had a monkey under peddling it, and it went for 5k. You can probably find one at auction for 7k or 8k. But I wouldn't hold my breath for 8k on a 2006 from dealer or private seller... Not unless there is something really wrong with it.

Sella Turcica said:
...505.01 oil spec *every time*...
Cam has already failed, and even if it was 505.01, cam has already failed.

On the other hand if it was run on gasser oil all its life, RUN.

Last edited:

hopper64

TDI
'06 Jetta
i found mine on CL for just under 12 with 75,000 miles 3 months ago. And was sold by a dealership. Turns out the previous owner bought a transferable warranty up to 100K with no transfer fee. Not bad. 2006 package 2 5-speed....

Keep Looking

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
i found mine on CL for just under 12 with 75,000 miles 3 months ago. And was sold by a dealership. Turns out the previous owner bought a transferable warranty up to 100K with no transfer fee. Not bad. 2006 package 2 5-speed....

Keep Looking
Don't forget the timing belt needs done at 80k on these, not 100k.

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Don't forget the timing belt needs done at 80k on these, not 100k.
And the debate lives on...80k if you like to dump money into car maintenance. I'm at 95k and waiting for 100k. There are many gurus that recommend 100k and I would trust them over VW anyday.