What did you do to your car today?

im no hero x

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Variant 5-spd
hey guys!

Today I cleaned out my snow screen for the first time since I've had the car and I also did a ventectomy (with the help of my dad for the latter) :)

I love the DIY's on this website! Thanks to all of you for loving your TDI's and forming this community hehe :D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
im no hero x said:
hey guys!
I love the DIY's on this website! Thanks to all of you for loving your TDI's and forming this community hehe :D
Yep. I was taught at my first GTG.:D Later I've even been known to show people who are in a parking lot talking about their TDi ...and I say, ...You want me to show you how clogged your snow screen is?

Priceless.

BrianCT

GV-TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta
Pulled the front plastic (bumper and grill) off the '00 Jetta to check why I had no license plate bracket. Found nothing on the inside to hold the bolts, simply two holes through the plastic. Also found the side marker lights had unplugged from the lenses with one bulb blackened and the other missing. Bought new bulbs at Autozone plus the 90 degree Torx wrench set so I could have something to adjust my auto-trans line pressure when I replace the filter. Ordered the trans filter and other stuff from Peter (TDIparts.com). Checked a local Red Line dealer for ATF that will work in the trans. Emailed Red Line (redlineoil.com) for verification of the appropriate ATF fluid to use. Got everything back together and new bulbs installed. Need to wash the beast now.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Worked on Shag's car today. DWA and vds-pro enabled some goodies on his car. :)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Nothing, but I purchased some 65watt bulbs form Rallylights and will post a review, I might someday get the 90mm fogs installed that I ordered there too. So I guess I just spent money on my car today lol. (Psst someone buy my car :D )

Last edited:

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
mtltdi said:
Worked on Shag's car today. DWA and vds-pro enabled some goodies on his car. :)
Crazy stuff right there, man. I *LOVE* IT!!!

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Seats!

Finally found the cloth R32 seats I have been looking for:

Despite a dislocated thumb during the install, I couldn't be happier!:D

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
alhutch said:
Finally found the cloth R32 seats I have been looking for:

Despite a dislocated thumb during the install, I couldn't be happier!:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Damn, those are sexy!

clintontull

Vendor
TDI
NONE
cool pic,
today i did the timing belt. tomorrow THE WORLD!!! jk. was 6 hr start to finish. some scratches sore joints and tomorrow swollen hands probably. but well worth the challenge. id say anyone out there following the pdf for the change can do it. I did not have to take the Air box out nor did i have to remove the power steering resivor as it was on the other side of the car on the vw 2003 beetle.
everything was dead on other than that. and if your fast enough to swap out the water pump you more than likely can get buy with 1 bottle of anti freeze.. :)
thanks paramedic

vw#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta pd tdi white 5 spd
Had my new warranty replaced tranny, flywheel, pressure plate and clutch installed. Detailed the the inside and outside and reinstalled my digi pd power box had window tint 17% installed and 3m film across the frontend and mirrors :Dalso took her for a 120 km clutch breakin

Hanibel75

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Galactic Blue
Today, I spent all day cleaning my intake. 5 hours just to clean it. There was an 1/8 in of crud all the way to the intake ports. After scraping it, and soaking it, and power washing it, I got fed up and lit it on fire. What do you know, instant carbon that very easily scraped off. So know I just have to wash and rinse it real well, dry it and reinstall it.

I learned a a few real good lessons with this project.

1) Read the posts. Search them again. Read some more. And then start.
2) For what it costs me in tools, materials, and time, I should have just had one of the great mid-western tech take care of it.

I will post picks as soon as I am done.

DieselCruz

TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI - Silver/Auto
Installed an Evloution Atlas skid plate on my 2002 Golf. It seems as though the only trick was that the frame at the right (passenger) front of the vehicle has a piece of metal that will not let the rivet nut lay flush. There was enough play in the bolts to make it work, but it wont be as easy to take on and off as a result. Otherwise no problems.

(Yesterday I changed the oil and the fuel filter)

MWVDUB

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Thursday night I put the intercooler and piping back on the car along with the drivers side headlight and bumper cover. Today I replaced the alternaotr pulley and put it, the ac compressor, and cooling fan back in place. Becuase I am an idiot, I also took the grille and bumper cover back off becuase I forgot to put the little intercooler air scoop thingy back on. Car is now back on the road after three weeks on ramps in a tiny "2 car" garage.

Lurkerlou

TDI
1999 1/2 Jetta TDI
Installed an Alpine IDA-X001 iPod deck and gave the old girl a good cleaning inside.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Hanibel75 said:
Today, I spent all day cleaning my intake. 5 hours just to clean it. There was an 1/8 in of crud all the way to the intake ports. After scraping it, and soaking it, and power washing it, I got fed up and lit it on fire. What do you know, instant carbon that very easily scraped off. So know I just have to wash and rinse it real well, dry it and reinstall it.

I learned a a few real good lessons with this project.

1) Read the posts. Search them again. Read some more. And then start.
2) For what it costs me in tools, materials, and time, I should have just had one of the great mid-western tech take care of it.

I will post picks as soon as I am done.
Ah, next time try Justin's or my method, found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167882

Justin's is really fast! Mine is a bit more fun, if you like fire :D

Hanibel75

TDI
nicklockard said:
Ah, next time try Justin's or my method, found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167882

Justin's is really fast! Mine is a bit more fun, if you like fire :D

Yes, I like fire. That is why I finished with the spray it with brake cleaner and then set it on fire method. Ash is so much easier to remove than the oily gunk. Plus is was real fun to spray more cleaner in to the intake and watch flames shoot out of all for ports :eek:

Well, it is back together. It was a late night, and I had to remove the belly pan because I dropped a screw and my 6mm allen socket.

So today it is top off the coolant and see if I screwed anything up.

Hanibel75

TDI
It works. And now this is the car I remember. A little bit of smoke under hard acceleration, but that is OK for now.

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Modified my CCM as shown in #2 of this post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1614306&postcount=113

Now if any punk tries to break in by jamming a screwdriver into the door lock the alarm horn will NOT be deactivated by the door lock button as usual. The alarm is now completely controlled by the IMMO. When opening the door by physically inserting the key or another object into the door lock you must within 30 sec insert the key into the ignition, or press the unlock button on the key, or the alarm will sound off! Great mod!!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Removed a bunch of crap from the trunk and cabin

Straightened out my grill blocking foam plugs and replaced the missing ones

Checked transmission fluid level as I've been having some rough shifts lately (level was OK)

Looked at airflow layout and thought - there must be a better way than having the air criss cross the engine compartment 3 times before it even gets into the engine. Does anyone know if you can clock the VNT15 compressor 90 degrees so the outlet points toward the firewall instead of the ground? Looks like the VNT diaphram might be in the way.

Gave the underside and engine compartment a visual once over for any signs of impending failure - none found

Pushed it both on and off the ramps by hand - too cheap to start it up

Evaluted installing 200W magnetic stick on heater in the recess in the oil pan - need to modify heater some, but should work. Will wire it in parallel with coolant heater so both are on at the same time with one plug.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Removed the remants of the OEM tranny cooler and T'd the lines, then I looked at the EGR and decide to make it a not so stealth pipe when I was done with it by painting it blue. That makes the mod work around 5hp instead of 2.39hp.

clintontull

Vendor
TDI
NONE
i took my car to the stealership felt like i gave them my only child! I cant stand someone else working on my car.... the airbag light is on, checking the power steering pump, horn doesnt work = which tech said could be a spring sensor or something in the steering column that is causing the airbag to not work.. but horn never worked since leaving the dealer the first time and the airbag came on 2 months ago. where as the horn was over a year ago. Anyways nuff of my soap box just worried, i feel like that whole 98$ per hour crap is a rip off and then its a different price per hour at $120 if its an electrical problem?? ok did the same tech going from mechanical problem to fixing an electrical problem all of a sudden get smarter or something to merit the increase in cost??? hummmm im not liking this already.... :confused: