PSA: Take a photo of your key today!

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Let's get this out of the way; I'm a bonehead. We failed to get a back-up key, and over the weekend lost our only key!

Thankfully, I have detailed pictures of both sides of the key, and it sounds like we'll be able to get a new one cut without a trip to the dealership.

So, stop what you're doing right now, and pull out your phone and key. Take close-up, good quality images of both sides of the key. Store them to your Google photo or Apple cloud storage location, and you'll have them for a rainy day!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I took photos of my key about 5 years ago.

If I recall, a place called sidewinderkey.com made them from a photo. I had one made for a friend and used the VAGTACHO/software to program the new FOB.

http://www.sidewinderkey.com/

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
So, stop what you're doing right now, and pull out your phone and key. Take close-up, good quality images of both sides of the key. Store them to your Google photo or Apple cloud storage location, and you'll have them for a rainy day!
I'll admit I'm thick headed now & then but never to old to learn.
Good tip with the picture of the key, will do it today.
I already backup all my financial records, pictures, registration keys & info and such to my OneDrive Microsoft drive.
I don't do it as regularly as I should but I also backup my PC's to an external drive.
I have 3 sets, the latest goes to my safety deposit box, 2nd & 3rd in fire resistant boxes at home in 2 locations.
Oldest one home is used next backup.
And I also include all my auto related stuff in this. :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All my dubs have all their keys, and they no longer have immobilisers, so if I did actually lose a key (be the first time ever, but let's just say), I'd have one based on VIN in a day. No worries.

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Glad I saw this. I took a picture of it a while ago after losing my second key, but didn't know I needed both sides. Doing that now.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You would still need a working key to allow you to retrieve the skc so I would advise that you go whole hog and just get a full spare made up now and keep it somewhere safe or also get the skc now and store a word doc with that info in the same folder as the blade image(s).

I am actually doing this right now on my 2010 since it only came with 1 key. The package from fixmyvw awaits at the post office.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Skc can be retrieved without a working key easily, out of cluster or ecu. Just needs power, nothing special is done to block communication when immobilizer is actively blocking running.