VNT 17/26. Anyone had experience?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Not knocking Kerma but there seems to be LOT of "outs" for denying warranty claims.
From Kerma.com
Warranty requirements : Proof of Qualified Professional Installation and Tuning, Boost and EGT Gauges, New Oil Lines , Correct Oil, Oil Analysis Records, Proper Operation and Maintenance. Warranty is 1 year 12,000miles
(Full disclosure)--- I personally try to buy from all the vendors on this site and not pigeon hole myself with using only one vendor. Just saying, so I'm not labeled a Kerma-Basher. I actually bought my nozzles from Kerma and had them balanced also by him( Kerma/DBW). Transaction was smooth and painless.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Wow. I had not seen those kits. Seems like theyre made to be alot easier to install. In the table below on the Darkside page where it has the listed turbos... The "max power" listed is the power that that particular turbo is meant to withstand. If I am looking for around 200hp should i go with a small margin of safety with a vnt 17/22 (210hp) or the next turbo up (GT2052V-220hp) to avoid running it close to its max? Didn't know how much that would matter
Someone correct me on this if I am wrong (not that I have to ask, LOL) Just FYI, I think on that side of the pond the HP numbers are estimated crank HP, where we North Americans measure HP at the wheels. So when Darkside's chart shows a VNT17 is good for 200 HP and it is commonly advertised up to 170 here, that is why.

Also, according to that chart a 17 will spool faster than a 17/22, which seems to defy the whole point of the hybrid. GTB1756Vk not spooled until 2,600 RPM? That would seem unnaceptably laggy to me, but that turbo is supposed to be all the rage.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Sounds like nothing more than a 17/22 with a billet wheel with those extended exducer fins on the compressor wheel.

Last edited:

dropanotherthou

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS
You call it negativity, I call it reality. Either way, don't get your panties in such a twist. If you don't like my opinion, you can simply ignore it. BTW, my only real sticking point that's got anything to do with Kerma is the S7...errr I mean BV43. You know what I'm sick of? Sheep.
Not sheeple sorry. I'm sick of your 2 cents that doesn't benefit anyone except your ego. S7 is borgwarners answer to the vnt17 nothing more. We all know you have a 17/22... you must feel so proud of yourself. Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Not sheeple sorry. I'm sick of your 2 cents that doesn't benefit anyone except your ego. S7 is borgwarners answer to the vnt17 nothing more. We all know you have a 17/22... you must feel so proud of yourself. Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.
I don't need to stroke my own ego. I'm simply here to lay the facts out, if you don't like it, go cry in the corner. BTW, I don't have a 17/22, not to sure where you dreamed that up. We see people defending the vendor they've purchased parts from all the time, enjoy your time with the herd.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
How good of an idea do the 150 hp complete kits from Kerma sound? Anyone used one? Since im trying to get alot of work done in a little amount of time would this kit (with southbend endurance clutch, hot swap for injectors and upgrade to the s7) be a decent idea?\\http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/Detail?no=8487
Have you read this thread? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427084 Some very good information on it. Also, I believe username Big Swole did a quick build on his Golf... Here is his build :http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417939

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.
I was running compounds, for a total investment of $100.
Be $130 once I get the engine back together, the 140k mile VNT-15's bearings were a bit worn for my tastes.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
To the OP ... My recommendation is to go with DLC 1019 nozzles, 11mm fuel pump, stage 2 colt cam and a vnt17. Heck you could even go with just the nozzles and 11mm pump. With the right tune you'd be laughing. Don't go bigger turbo until the hardware is in place to fuel it. Also go 3" turbo back ;) I do t have any dyno results but my car is pretty swift and has the following:

Stage 4.5 Malone tune
Vnt 17
11mm pump
Forge sidemount intercooler fed by 1.8T pancake
DLC 1019 nozzles
Stage 2 colt cam
PD150 manifold
3" Buzzken turbo back
Sachs VR6 clutch (which it slips and needs upgrading)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I probably wouldn't drop the $$$ on a cam until I was exceeding the flow characteristics of the stock ALH head. Along with the cam, you should be doing some headwork to take advantage of it. But that's just a personal opinion.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
How good of an idea do the 150 hp complete kits from Kerma sound? Anyone used one? Since im trying to get alot of work done in a little amount of time would this kit (with southbend endurance clutch, hot swap for injectors and upgrade to the s7) be a decent idea?\\http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/Detail?no=8487
Well now you are moving your goal quite a bit!

The only knock I have (and I am wearing a Kerma shirt as I type this) is that there does not seem to be much of a package discount. The parts can be sourced for less if you have the time to shop.

Only you can decide the value of your time. I am retired, so I can spend months figuring which turbo I want, and hours shopping to save $120 on that turbo. You are obviously under different time/money constraints.

If you want to go back to your original goal, here is another build thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=349101 If you want that much power you should plan on a limited slip diff also.

Last edited:

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
OP - swing by if they'd like for a ride in my Golf. 17/26 equipped. I also have a 150hp kit car here for comparison.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I probably wouldn't drop the $$$ on a cam until I was exceeding the flow characteristics of the stock ALH head. Along with the cam, you should be doing some headwork to take advantage of it. But that's just a personal opinion.
The exhaust ports are freakin' tiny.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
Ken is suggesting head work and a stage 3 cam. My only worry is whether I'll keep the car long enough to make it worth while.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
OP - swing by if they'd like for a ride in my Golf. 17/26 equipped. I also have a 150hp kit car here for comparison.
I'd jump on that if I were you. A test drive will tell you far more that a dyno graph, then you can report back and answer your own question. :)

ANUT, what else do you have in your 17/26 build? Edit, never mind, details here http://www.dieselland.net/my-silly-car.html

Last edited:

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
You really need to swing by. Play hookie. Pass on family dindin. Ditch the boys. Do whatever.

You'll be in the very few to report back on this 'new' turbo.

Specially having a 150hp kit'd comparison car to go along with.

1000s will read and watch your feedback. Take a video.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
You really need to swing by. Play hookie. Pass on family dindin. Ditch the boys. Do whatever.

You'll be in the very few to report back on this 'new' turbo.

Specially having a 150hp kit'd comparison car to go along with.

1000s will read and watch your feedback. Take a video.
True dat

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
First off, my apologies to the OP for my comments earlier.

If this turbo is set up how I think it may possibly be, it should work outstanding. We started running our modified 17/22's about 8 months ago and the results compared to a 17/22 are not even in the ballpark. IF this turbo is comparable to what we are using, it's an outstanding bolt-on turbo. Compared to a 17/22, far lower egt's, no lag, annoying surge is gone, excellent in every way. We are running 28-29psi to 5000rpm without the turbo breaking a sweat. However without the exhaust side being modded, just throwing a compressor wheel on isn't good.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
That link 2 posts up... That's a pretty nice power curve.

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Great info Ken, maybe when my 1756 blows up I won't have to go far for an upgrade :)

Once we find a clutch that will hold, we should meet up and u try it. I had a gtb1756 on ryan's gorgeous manifold, but this thing outdoes it. I have a dyno graph, but it was at 26psi and fuel cut at 4500rpm. Will dyno as soon as clutch is dealt with.