VCDS/VAGCOM - Disabling DTCs?

Tacoma_TDI

TDI
2003 Tacoma ALH Swapped, 2014 SportWagen
Hi all. I've been hunting for the answer and haven't had any luck (forums and Ross Tech site). I'm planning on further simplifying the harness for my Tacoma ALH swap by removing the ECU control for the coolant glow plugs and engine glow plugs, but I've been told it will throw codes. There are also other codes I will want to disable as they will not pertain to my truck. Does VCDS/VAGCOM permit disabling fault codes using the software? If so, how is this accomplished? I feel like purchasing VCDS is a wise move for such a project rather than having to rely on dealers or shops to do stuff such as setting injector timing etc, and being able to disable DTCs would be a huge bonus. Thanks in advance!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, it cannot do that.

Software changes would be needed for that.

Personally, I would try and keep the glow control system intact. It works well, it pretty simple, and should not really pose any great challenge above and beyond what you are already doing.

The Bosch EDC15 system that the ALH uses is very, very simple. And very good. Reliable and easy to troubleshoot. I would change as little of that as possible, and embrace all it has to offer. I wish all engine management systems were that good.

Tacoma_TDI

TDI
No, it cannot do that.

Software changes would be needed for that.

Personally, I would try and keep the glow control system intact. It works well, it pretty simple, and should not really pose any great challenge above and beyond what you are already doing.

The Bosch EDC15 system that the ALH uses is very, very simple. And very good. Reliable and easy to troubleshoot. I would change as little of that as possible, and embrace all it has to offer. I wish all engine management systems were that good.
Thanks for your reply :). Who then, if anyone, can I get to disable trouble codes resulting from issues such as EGR delete, MAF delete, etc? If this a stealership-only thing or are there tuners out there with the ability to do this?

The reason I want to simplify the glow plug system is because of the 180 relay needing two sets of control wires, rather than the typical 5-wire automotive relay. This doesn't permit me to create a simplified electrical box using aftermarket fuse and relay blocks that can be purchased anywhere. The overwhelming amount of space left over in the stock fuse box and thirteenfold relay panel is a huge waste of space, so simplifying it would be ideal.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
EGR Delete and MAF delete tunes are available from TDI tuners who frequent this site - Jeff @ rocketchip, Malone tuning are but a couple. You could reach out to them and let them know what you are looking to accomplish.

Tacoma_TDI

TDI
EGR Delete and MAF delete tunes are available from TDI tuners who frequent this site - Jeff @ rocketchip, Malone tuning are but a couple. You could reach out to them and let them know what you are looking to accomplish.
Rad! I'll make sure that all that I need disabled is done in one sweep. Thanks again all!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Alright, that was definitely my Friday afternoon giggle.

Morbo always has the correct answer.