(St)Dealer having update issues on 2012/DSG

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Good morning

Anyone hearing reports of stealers having flash problems with 2012 models? I took my 2012 in on Monday, promised a call on Tuesday, no call. Called this morning and when I asked if it was done, it of course wasn't.

Pressing the issue I asked if it just "Wasn't touched, or are you having issues". The gentleman hesitated and said, having issues with the flash. He had no idea if it was the main flash or the DSG flash. Any reports of issues with 2012's or should I find a way to light a fire under this (possibly) incompetent dealer?

Jokes on them though, they gave me a new Jetta TSI with super low miles, and if they continue having problems with my car I am going on vacation next week ..... and I **SPECIFICALLY** warned them about that fact and asked if I should delay the fix.

Cheers,

Miser

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would call back and ask specifically what step in the process did not work.

(and also, be prepared to use whatever they loaned you for a while.)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Rather than grilling them on the exact step in the process, I would ask them what their next steps are, and when they're supposed to be completed.

Then inform them that you will be calling shortly after that time to confirm.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the reason to ask is for our understanding of what is going on.

more than several folks with earlier cars have experienced failure of the DSG flash (reprogram) which is the last step of the fix.

this is not a dealer screw up, it is a corporate screwup.

would be of interest to hear that this is or is not the same issue on a later car.

for those of us impacted by the failed software update, it means extended loss of the car once the fix is started, with no idea how long the car will sit in the dealer lot.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
the reason to ask is for our understanding of what is going on.

more than several folks with earlier cars have experienced failure of the DSG flash (reprogram) which is the last step of the fix.

this is not a dealer screw up, it is a corporate screwup.

would be of interest to hear that this is or is not the same issue on a later car.

for those of us impacted by the failed software update, it means extended loss of the car once the fix is started, with no idea how long the car will sit in the dealer lot.
Hence asking specifically for next steps and timing. If the dealer "doesn't know", tell them that's unacceptable and to call VW corporate and find out.

Bricking my car with no ETA? not acceptable unless you're going to compensate me.

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Update: done, fixed, ready

So, an update ...

Called the dealer at 2:00PM ish local time as I just couldn't wait any longer ...

Service manager happened to answer phone. I inquired about the car and the difficulty they were having earlier. He said it is now done, was being washed, and will be ready for pickup today.

I have a meeting this evening and won't be able to make it to the dealer before they close, so will be picking it up Thursday. I will try to get details on the difficulty and report back handling/etc. On Sunday before the drop off I took a VCDS scan so I will run another as well to see what if anything changed.

Miser

Miser_TDI

TDI
Update part 2: took her on vacation

Hi all

Took the 2012 on vacation after the fix for some highway miles.

Here's my impression:

- Sounds more like a diesel. That doesn't bother me.
- DSG is shifting differently. I can defeat that my putting it into manual mode if it selecting what I think is too high of a gear.
- MPG loss. The cluster MPG estimator has lost around 4-5 MPG since pre-fix. I could get on the highway and after an extended time on said highway anywhere from 47-50MPG. Now it pretty much sticks at 45-46.

I will definitely be getting tuned this coming spring.

Cheers,

Miser