13 jetta tdi sedan, manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
car has 40k miles on the clock, its owned by a dealer friend of mine he drives it daily, VW will not take it back because it carries a Certificate of Destruction title. He wants to sell it, which States will convert this Title to Salvage, you guys told me but I don't remember. thanks

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
car has 40k miles on the clock, its owned by a dealer friend of mine he drives it daily, VW will not take it back because it carries a Certificate of Destruction title. He wants to sell it, which States will convert this Title to Salvage, you guys told me but I don't remember. thanks
Salvage title still means it's not fixed... need to completely fix, have inspected to get title re-branded to 'rebuilt'...

This car must have had very serious damage... I would stay clear of anything like this for sure!

There is no way to know for sure about the mileage either... I bought a 'salvage' titled car many, many years ago with extremely 'low' miles only to find that the odometer had been tampered with.. car had at least triple the claimed mileage.

The second I see "dealer" with the words Salvage or Rebuilt title ... all kinds of alarms go off... he knows exactly what he has and if he needs help selling it, this makes it even more suspiscious.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Houston had vast areas of flooding, all the cars involved were issued CofD titles, it was easier then massing all the paperwork. This particular car only needed a starter, nothing else and the vag confirms the mileage. As I stated the dealer uses it daily and takes it on trips.

I bought a Saturn Sky it needed nothing, I just drove it home, then sold it to some one in MA where he switched it to salvage, then blue in his name.

So it can be done, Houston in 2012 stopped going from CofD to salvage, before then it was no problem

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I was under the impression that once a car got a certificate of destruction title, it could never be actually registered for use again...?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I was under the impression that once a car got a certificate of destruction title, it could never be actually registered for use again...?
not true, several States will convert a CofD to salvage, from there you satisfy the salvage requirements for that State and it becomes a Clear title once you title it in your name.

Once the starter was installed the car ran perfectly, all fluids were changed and its been driven daily and taken on several long distance trips. Now why should a car like this end up scrap?

sy552

TDI
15 Passat SEL , 15 Jetta SEL
What states will convert a certificate of destruction? I have never seen any one that will. Cars with a cod can be parted or exported out of the country. I will bet he is driving it with a dealer plate and doesn't have actual plates registered to it because you can't.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
not true, several States will convert a CofD to salvage, from there you satisfy the salvage requirements for that State and it becomes a Clear title once you title it in your name.

Once the starter was installed the car ran perfectly, all fluids were changed and its been driven daily and taken on several long distance trips. Now why should a car like this end up scrap?
A salvage title will never become a clear title, no matter what state you're in. The only ways around that are fraud and will land you some serious jail time.

I am curious what states will convert a CofD to a salvage title, because my understanding was that a CofD only gives you the option to destroy the car or send it to a different country. That's it. Zero option to ever register the vehicle again in the US.

I agree with you that there's no reason for the only option for the car to be scrap, but I don't get to make that decision...

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
A salvage title will never become a clear title, no matter what state you're in. The only ways around that are fraud and will land you some serious jail time.

I am curious what states will convert a CofD to a salvage title, because my understanding was that a CofD only gives you the option to destroy the car or send it to a different country. That's it. Zero option to ever register the vehicle again in the US.

I agree with you that there's no reason for the only option for the car to be scrap, but I don't get to make that decision...
I have bought 200 vw diesels, 195 salvage, I fix them, title them in my name, then sell them, when they are titled in my name they become Clear Titled, they may or may not have a comment on them as to their previous history, but it doesn't matter I tell the new buyer and never have had a problem

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
when I go to an insurance auction and I run across a rental car with a hard hit can any of you venture an answer to this....when they sell me that car what sort of title comes with it....I'm waiting

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
I have bought 200 vw diesels, 195 salvage, I fix them, title them in my name, then sell them, when they are titled in my name they become Clear Titled, they may or may not have a comment on them as to their previous history, but it doesn't matter I tell the new buyer and never have had a problem
What's your process to get them titled in your name with a clear title? If I took a salvage title to the DMV here to put the car in my name, the people at the DMV will see that it was salvage and mark the new title salvage.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2qm3fp5_th.jpg this car is now diven daily on the streets with a Blue Title from Maine, too small to read but it CofD title.....see post 3
If you know the process to convert a CofD title to salvage and then to clean, please enlighten the rest of us on the process.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
What's your process to get them titled in your name with a clear title? If I took a salvage title to the DMV here to put the car in my name, the people at the DMV will see that it was salvage and mark the new title salvage.

I buy a salvage car, TX has a form you fill out stating that the necessary repairs were done to convert the title to clear. The clear blue title may or may not have a small comment on the left that the car was previous salvage. If the car is fixed properly what's the difference?

If you know the process to convert a CofD title to salvage and then to clean, please enlighten the rest of us on the process.
Winthrop MA will do it, TX stopped in Sept 2012

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
I buy a salvage car, TX has a form you fill out stating that the necessary repairs were done to convert the title to clear. The clear blue title may or may not have a small comment on the left that the car was previous salvage. If the car is fixed properly what's the difference?
That sounds like a rebuilt title, not a clear title. There's a difference.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds like a rebuilt title, not a clear title. There's a difference.
you cannot drive a car with a salvage title, your title has to be blue (TX), so you take the salvage titled car and fix it, fender, hood grill light...TX has a paper where you list what you changed and where you got the part, that accompanies all your paperwork and 2 weeks later your on the road. Yes, it could have a comment but who cares? The car is fixed to States satisfaction your good to go. You drive it a year or 2 and sell it. The new title does not say "rebuilt" anywhere. it may say "previous salvage or previous flood", it may say nothing. Tx has no rebuilt titles. Your brown, (junk) pink (salvage) or blue (clear)

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
you cannot drive a car with a salvage title, your title has to be blue (TX), so you take the salvage titled car and fix it, fender, hood grill light...TX has a paper where you list what you changed and where you got the part, that accompanies all your paperwork and 2 weeks later your on the road. Yes, it could have a comment but who cares? The car is fixed to States satisfaction your good to go. You drive it a year or 2 and sell it. The new title does not say "rebuilt" anywhere. it may say "previous salvage or previous flood", it may say nothing. Tx has no rebuilt titles. Your brown, (junk) pink (salvage) or blue (clear)
If the title says "previous salvage or previous flood", then it's not a clear title. That's a rebuilt title.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-a-used-car-whats-a-rebuilt-title-236599

As for who cares, a lot of people care. The vehicle's value is affected by having a rebuilt or salvage title.
https://www.kbb.com/company/faq/others/#op_8
Also, your insurance company will care. Insurance companies in general will not offer full coverage on a salvage/rebuilt title vehicle, and some will not even insure them at all.
http://www.dmv.org/insurance/salvage-vehicles.php

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
you are totally misinformed and have no clue how the auto industry works here in TX, I have been doing this successfully for 20 years. I have never had a problem insuring any of my cars and have many financed by bank and credit unions.

Understand that a large percentage of cars you see on dealer lots carry your so called "rebuilt" title.

You haven't answered my question as to what title would a wrecked rental car carry at auction when purchased?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
call it whatever you like, Winthrop, MA 02152 says its OK and this is only one of 5 cars I sold with the same title, who's State "washed the Title" so it could be driven. You seem to be the only one with a problem with the process, I guess if you were governor you would crush them. (certificate of destruction). That blue Saturn sky had nothing wrong with it I bought, it pick it up and drove it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.