Mk4 Bew Engine in a Mk5 Brm

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
I posted this up in the mk4 forum but thought I would try it here. I have a 05 Mk4 Bew engine that I would like to use in place of Mk5 Jetta Brm engine that has been destroyed do to the lack of maintainance. Will it work? If so what would need to be done to make it work? Is it worth it?
Thanks

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Typically repairs and labour to repair an engine cost way more than a used/healty engine intact.

I have seen similar swaps. From the interesting ones I recall a 1.9 TDI-PD engine swap in place of 2.5 R5 TDI on a VW Transporter T5 as well as Mercedes-Benz engine into VW Crafter.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Well honestly that was my thought exactly! I have a perfectly healthy BEW engine from my son's totalled mk4 wagon that I thought would work since these engines are close in tech.
But I'm not getting any feed back at all as to if it's a tough or expensive ordeal.
Of course a valve job is easy and no doubt the preferred route if the engine had low miles, it does not.
So my thought was simply swap the two out....
I'm begining to think it's not worth the aggravation and unless I can find something or someone to tell me otherwise it looks like I'll soon have a nice healthy BEW engine for sale soon... ....

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Well they share almost no parts so everything is different, crank sensor is different, oil filter is different, ect. Could you jerry rig something together and make it work, probably. Is it easier than doing a valve job? Probably not.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
SO, lets be clear here. An engine is a system. It is not just something that fits in a hole and work autonomously. You can't just lift out a BRM and stuff in a BEW, no matter if they fit in the hole. You need to adapt a harness, change the EEC, and work out other differences between computers which "Drive" the car. I take turbocharged798 advise as simple wisdom.

Have at it! I would not waste my time.

Last edited:

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
I simply asked the feasibility. If it's not a feasible project and not cost efficient I won't do it. I thought this is what a forum such as this is for. I am only Familiar with the ALH and Bew platforms and not the Brm. I thought I would ask if it was doable.
It's obviously is not a practical project. Believe me though Bob if I had my mind set on this I would simply jump in a fab what isn't available.
Thanks all.