• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

FS: OH: Auto- dim rearview mirrors

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Update towards the end.
Rounded up lots of VW & Audi auto-dimming rear view mirrors over the last few years. Time to clear the shelves.

Normal mount
(1) Black auto-dimming rear view w/ compass - $62 shipped 48 states (SOLD)
(2) Black auto-dimming rear view w/ compass has nicks & scuffs around the seam, where someone tried to open it up - $45 shipped 48 states (SOLD)
(3) Grey auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $80 shipped 48 states (SOLD) Have decide to let me "spare" one of these go, looks really nice in a grey interior.

VW B5/5.5, MK4 Rain mount
(4) Grey auto-dimming rear view none compass, downward ambient lights - $48 shipped 48 states
(5) Black (painted) auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $90 shipped 48 states
(6) Black non-VW rear view mirror w/ compass swapped onto VW mount - $40 shipped 48 states

Audi Rain mount
(7) Grey auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $95 shipped 48 states

VW B6 or B7 larger Rain mount
(8) Black body/tan edge auto-dimming rear view none compass - $75 shipped 48 states

I have more various rear view mirrors, if you have any desire to create your own Frankenstien mirror.

A few pics
(1) The Black normal mount with compass mirror & base/mount

=====================================
(4) Grey, rain mount, non-compass, ambient lights

=====================================
(5) Black (painted) in car night shot

(5) From outside the car, (have trim pieces)For color perspective, my seats & visors are grey, not tan.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I've gotten a few questions about the different types of windshield mounts and mirror removal/installations. Yes, VW/Audi calls the feature anti-dazzle, but most people I’ve ever talked with call it auto-dimming.

First let me say – by default, auto-dimming mirrors act as a normal mirror when not powered, it just won’t auto-dim without 12v & ground. So, if someone offers you a dark looking mirror claiming it’s an Auto-dimming mirror and will function correctly once installed – walk away from that mirror. It is most likely failed. Failed mirrors can usually be identified by horrible discoloration (normal spots, but typically oval areas that look very smoky) or a gold tone. A mirror that’s starting to turn gold is a little harder to “see” unless a normal mirror is provided as comparison. There are companies that will rebuild/repair, feel free to do some research if you want to pick up (or have) a bad mirror to be rebuilt.

MOUNTS
There's 2 primary VW/Audi windshield mount types I'm aware of - (Clarification - 2 that apply to the VW MK4, B5 & Audi B5, C5, D2)
Normal/Button
Rain sensing

The Normal Button was widely used on may VW/Audi models thru the years, but is relevant here as it applies to what was used on VW Passat B3-6 & Jetta/Golf MK3-MK6. It may be used more than that, but I can speak from 1st hand knowledge beyond what I mentioned above.

The Normal Button mount uses a clockwise/counter clock wise turning of the mirror mount (the stubby part mating to the windshield) to install/remove. While this is usually pretty simple, there are times when is can be a real challenge.

Removal should be as easy as "firmly grasp the base/mount & twist clockwise or counter clock wise". I'd suggest extra care here, as I've seen some take part of the windshield with them. I've seen some come off with no hassle, I've seen others require using a pair of pliers (use a cloth towel to protect base) and unfortunately, I've seen some twist the mount/button off the windshield. The latter is more likely to happen in hot conditions and especially if someone had to replace/re-glue the button back on the windshield and put the mirror on too soon.

I've interchanged normal/button mount mirrors from various Audi's with MK3, MK4, MK5, B4, B5, B5.5 & B6 VW's.

The Rain Sensing mount is more complicated in multiple ways - it's harder to remove/install, there's been a few variations of sensors & mounts over the years and it requires a specific windshield (or other ingenious accommodations).

WIRING
The VW/Audi OEM mirrors I have listed in the 1st post all include the car side 6 pin connector & some length of wire. Typically, you can tap into the sunroof control for the ground & the 12v switched. I’ve never tried in a non-sunroof car, so it could be more complicated in those, as I’m not sure there’s a 12v switched up high or not.

Aside from the ground & 12v switched, you could if you were so inclined wire a couple other features.
1) Reverse cancel – This tells the mirror the car is in reverse and defeats the Auto-dimming feature (I typically skip this)
2) Side mirror control – For VW/Audi’s with auto-dim side view mirrors, the rear view mirror controls them and sends the signal to “dim”. (I lost all motivation of trying to swap Audi A4 or A6 side mirrors with auto-dim on to my cars after about 10 minutes of research)
I think the other pins in the connector are for the rain sensor, but I’m not 100% sure.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to PM or post here if you have questions.

Now some pics

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
(6) This is non-VW/Audi swapped onto an MK4/B5,5.5 Rain sensing mount - Back side

(6) Bottom

(6) Face

Yes, I believe there is a possibility you could tie in a temp sensor and have temp displayed as well.

Halcyon22

TDI
mk4 jetta
so basically tap the power for the sun roof and hook up the auto-dim function? is the "normal mount black auto-dim with compass" mirror still available?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Yes, the normal mount ones are pretty simple. The rain mount is a much more difficult retrofit.

Just to be clear, 12v switched which could be hard to find for a non-sunroof car.

Yes, only 1 mirror spoken for so far.

Thanks

caddy16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf tdi
Is the black one with the pry marks still fully functional ?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Is the black one with the pry marks still fully functional ?
Yes, no functional issues, just a little cosmetics. Thanks

Got the pics hosted.

(2) Across the bottom

(2) Top has less, and they marks are less severe (this is not ALL of the marks across the top)

(2) Close up of bottom

(2) Good mirror, no discoloration

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Mirrors 1 & 3 in the 1st post have sold.

A few options left, please feel free to PM or post here if you have any questions.

Thanks

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The one with the pry marks - can they actually come apart with minimal damage to the case halves? I have one just like it, but the mirror glass has a small scratch, and shows some very slight corrosion around the compass and light sensor openings. wouldn't mind swapping your good glass into it?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
The one with the pry marks - can they actually come apart with minimal damage to the case halves? I have one just like it, but the mirror glass has a small scratch, and shows some very slight corrosion around the compass and light sensor openings. wouldn't mind swapping your good glass into it?
Yes, the 2 halves can be separated, I typically use old credit/gift cards & slide them in horizontally then work them towards the corners. I can separate the 2 halves before shipping if you'd like. Thanks

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Last of the "Normal Mount" has sold.

Still have a few various Rain Mount mirrors available, plus some non-VW/Audi for those interested in building their own hybrid (compass, temp [need sensor & wire], homelink, etc).

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
UPDATE
Find myself with 2 MK4, B5/5.5 rain mount auto-dimming with hidden compass (1 OEM Audi grey, 1 painted black) and only 1 rain mount style MK4.

$115 shipped (48 states) for either the factory Audi grey or painted black. Once 1 of these 2 sells, the other will not be available.

Also have 2 from newer MKVI or B6/7 (not sure) larger rain mount. One solid black, one has tan trim around mirror glass (no compass)

$65 shipped (48 states)

Still have a grey auto-dimming rear view non-compass, downward ambient lights - $48 shipped (48 states)

Have a few other (including non-VW/Audi) that I could use to make something - PM me and we can discuss.

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
Auto dimming mirrors

I've been wanting to put one in my 05 Jetta wagon. Mk4 body style.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I've been wanting to put one in my 05 Jetta wagon. Mk4 body style.
Aside from auto-dim & mount style, what color/features are important. I'm pretty sure I have the right pieces to make an auto-dim, compass & Homelink.

Thanks

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
BUMP, still have more mirrors than cars
Going thru my boxes of mirrors, yes more than 1 box, several mirrors in each box, I've realized I have a couple "normal" button style mount auto-dimming mirrors.
Black Audi auto-dim w/ compass - $75 shipped 48 states
Black Audi auto-dim w/ hidden compass - $110 shipped 48 states
Includes the car side connector w/ a length of wire.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Black hidden compass has SOLD

Have a grey hidden compass available as well as a black normal compass.

Thanks

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
BUMP
Black Audi w/ compass (normal VW/Audi windshield mount) - $75 shipped 48 states - NOW $62 shipped 48 states

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
BUMP

I've built a hybrid Homelink, Auto-dim, compass rear view mirror.

It's a Saab OEM auto-dim rear view mirror with compass (green, not red) and 3 Homelink buttons (brain all inside the mirror).

I've swapped it over to use an normal Audi/VW twist button windshield mount and re-pinned the connector to use the normal VW/Audi 6 pin (3x2) connector. I can swap it to a rain sensor mount if that's what you need.

I'll work on getting pics of it hosted, but can email/text for now, just PM me contact.

$75 shipped 48 states.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Rex, I have retrofitted an audi auto-dim w compass mirror into my passat. all works fine, except the surface of the mirror has a 3/4" scratch which bugs me, and the mirroring around the opening for the light sensor is degraded slightly - as if it sat in the elements a little too long.

Is there a way to separate the halves without marring them up, or alternatively, do you have one in good condition you can sell me? I'm interested in the mirror or the glass - everything else on mine is fine.

Edit, I see I asked the same question a year ago in post 11 - do you still have one of these available?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Rex, I have retrofitted an audi auto-dim w compass mirror into my passat. all works fine, except the surface of the mirror has a 3/4" scratch which bugs me, and the mirroring around the opening for the light sensor is degraded slightly - as if it sat in the elements a little too long.

Is there a way to separate the halves without marring them up, or alternatively, do you have one in good condition you can sell me? I'm interested in the mirror or the glass - everything else on mine is fine.

Edit, I see I asked the same question a year ago in post 11 - do you still have one of these available?
Not sure I follow your description of the "mirroring around the light sensor", but yes I still have a few.

I seriously have an issue when it comes to rear view mirrors, I seriously have 20 or more from various makes/models.PM an email address and we can talk about so low cost options to solve your issue. Thanks

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Do you have any more auto dimming/compass for a MK4?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
No rain mount. Difference between hidden and normal?

The "normal" has the little non-mirrored rectangle as seen in this pic (sorry the mirror is upside down in the picture)

The hidden has the compass display in the same area, but there's no non-mirrored section.

Aside from that, the body of the hidden mirror is a little more rounded, while the normal is a bit squarer, which I think looks better.

Of course the hidden compass ones are higher priced (all things being equal).

I think the only hidden compass one I currently have is a grey bodied, you probably want black?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The "normal" has the little non-mirrored rectangle as seen in this pic (sorry the mirror is upside down in the picture)

The hidden has the compass display in the same area, but there's no non-mirrored section.

Aside from that, the body of the hidden mirror is a little more rounded, while the normal is a bit squarer, which I think looks better.

Of course the hidden compass ones are higher priced (all things being equal).

I think the only hidden compass one I currently have is a grey bodied, you probably want black?
Grey, have no plans of blacking my wagon, too much money and time to get the rear and roof done.

Price on each, zip is 98230.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Grey, have no plans of blacking my wagon, too much money and time to get the rear and roof done.

Price on each, zip is 98230.
I think the black mirror looks better even with the grey interior/head liner.

Black normal compass - $48 shipped 48 states

Grey hidden compass - $80 shipped 48 states

Just so you know, the black normal compass had been closer to $65-70 + shipping, but the market has become flooded and as a result the price has adjusted to reflect that.