Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Any noticeable differences in vehicle behaviour or performance, fuel economy?

it seems there are considerable parts replaced for the fix

- entire exhaust gas after treatment system
- entire fuel system
- exhaust gas recirculation system
- air intake, air cooler, etc
- turbocharger
- glow plugs
- on board diagnostic system

Not sure if it makes sense to get the fix or take buyout instead?
There's a few exhaust pieces swapped out... that's it. Plus new software.

Everything you list there is covered by the warranty, but you aren't getting a new turbo or fuel system in a 6 hour appointment.

To the CEL code above - take it back right now. The recall (fix) is independent of the cheque. The car had the fix done, so RP will check that and issue you the funds. VW can't 'undo' the fix now.... they made their bed, so to speak.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
So I made an appointment at a different dealer for this morning after the first dealer decicded to not return my calls. I get into the car to drive to the dealer and the CEL isn't on now. I drove to the dealer anyways hoping it would come back on by the time I get there.

It didn't come come back on. So I explain to the dealer that the light was on but has since gone away. He agreed to scan it anyways just to see what it was.

He comes back and starts to explain that its the DPF and I should wait until they start doing the fix as it'll all be updated then anyways, instead of me paying for anything now.

To his surprise I tell him I've already gotten the fix done at another dealership. Then he suggested its probably because they had the whole thing apart and it's running on new values etc so it's just recalibrating. So I should just give it a good drive to blow all the soot/crud out and it shouldn't be a problem.

He said come back if the light comes back on.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
As much as I liked my TDI...reading this forum, the issues and uncertainty that some are writing about...the hassle just wasnt worth for me. I am happy I did the buyback.
Now, if a future diesel comes out...I will definitely consider it (because it is a great car) but at this time....I'll stand on the sidelines and enjoy the show.

I dont know how some of you have the patience.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
As much as I liked my TDI...reading this forum, the issues and uncertainty that some are writing about...the hassle just wasnt worth for me. I am happy I did the buyback.
Now, if a future diesel comes out...I will definitely consider it (because it is a great car) but at this time....I'll stand on the sidelines and enjoy the show.

I dont know how some of you have the patience.
Amen brother:cool:
When the HPFP self destructed and they blamed us for misfueling
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410742
and tried to get out of repairing it under warranty we were crushed..

This Buyback was our way out:)

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
I received my copy by email last week. Appointment made for the fix for Monday next week.
John
Fix completed yesterday, took less than 4 hours to complete. They also did the snow flap recall and the fuse box recall (apparently one of the 30 amp fuses might blow and melt the fuse box?). It kicked on a regen as soon as I started driving it from the dealership, still has the wonky throttle shudder when it starts playing with the fuel & exhaust flapper valve. No insight into actual fuel economy yet, I usually get 7.4 l/100km around town and I have a trip to BC planned for Thanksgiving so I'll report back after what kind of mileage vs. last year's trip to Vernon. Otherwise performance seems similar to before.

The shop's online appointment app didn't give me an option to book a loaner so I got stuck with a rental Chevy Spark (and an argument with the rental shop about whether VW was going to pay for the $3 worth of gas I used!)

Checked online, the portal says complete. I also got a printout from the dealer with my payout details - $2550 as second owner.

John

od1

TDI
mrk7 golf
Dropped car off this morning for the appointment I'd booked earlier in the week. They called a few hours later to say they didn't have the parts yet and need to keep the vehicle overnight.
They had said I could have a loaner too, but then they were out of loaners when I got there. They're covering a rental car but now I need to go pick up a rental car since I had just taken the shuttle thinking it would just be the day.
Boooo... why book an appointment if you're not going to have the parts in time?
Chris
one of the parts is vin specific for whatever reason and can't be stocked for whatever reason

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
Now You Know that Toronto is the centre of the Universe!!!

So I am scrolling down the list of questions that the portal has...after our signed documents have been approved...
And this one is particularly DIFFERENT...
Yes No Answer Please ....

Within the last 7 years, was the vehicle ever registered outside of Ontario?
Is this a trick question or what?
We live in BC eh...
What a group...can't even get the province right...lol
This is going to be fun...:confused:
Even RICEPOINT are LEAFS Fans!!!!

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
Cx-5

Scratch: how does the CX5 handle? We took a new gasser Rav 4 for a test drive and I wasn't real impressed. Currently driving a 2004 4runner V8, lots of power but heavy on fuel consumption.
Look up the Car & Driver reviews for the 2018 US Diesel CX-5...well written and complimentary...may be worth it to wait...

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV

Flora

TDI
2015 BMW 328dxi wagon, 2010 Audi A3 TDI , 2003 VW Golf TDI
"Hearing the CX5 diesel is delayed yet again. Sometime in 2018 maybe."

What was the source?

I have tested the CX-5 gasser several times. Just a great drive. So much car for so little. Waiting for the diesel. Not interested in spending all that money on gas and making the oil company shareholders just that little bit richer.

Equinox/Terrain expecting a diesel, but media reviews seem mixed.
A couple of interesting articles...
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/09/still-dont-know-mazda-cx-5-diesel-will-arrive-america/
http://blog.caranddriver.com/whats-happening-with-the-mazda-cx-5-diesel/

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
3.0L update?

Any news about the 3.0L (Gen 2) settlement? Looks like it's been a few months since last update. Anybody has a schedule for the next steps?
Maybe they're waiting to see if the fix is certified (or not) in the US.
Thanks

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Any news about the 3.0L (Gen 2) settlement? Looks like it's been a few months since last update. Anybody has a schedule for the next steps?
Maybe they're waiting to see if the fix is certified (or not) in the US.
Thanks
Last I head a scheduled court proceedings was recently cancelled, which is a good thing, since it indicates that both sides are still negotiating...

But that's all I got....

srow

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI w/VNT17/22, Injectors, 15lbs SMF, full stainless exhaust (Gone) 2002 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2003 Golf TDI (Gone) 2006 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2005 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2011 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew (current)
Update for anyone looking for the Gen 1 fix -- my online claim allowed me to upload both my registration and ownership, but asked me to physically mail the proof of purchase -- I called and you can instead email it to one of the claims admins for upload -- should save a week.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Update for anyone looking for the Gen 1 fix -- my online claim allowed me to upload both my registration and ownership, but asked me to physically mail the proof of purchase -- I called and you can instead email it to one of the claims admins for upload -- should save a week.
If you are looking for the Gen 1 fix... just go and get it. You don't need to have anything done in the portal to get the fix. It's simply a recall.

Then you can do the portal stuff later if you want to.

Just know that you can't elect any other option in the portal once the fix is done.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
At the dealership right now and after waiting for 2 hours I'm told it needs a DPF. He quote $3,900. I explained to him that this is covered under the post fix warranty. He disagreed and I showed him the booklet. He then chose to read over the part that specifically mentions the DPF being covered.

After I pointed to it for him he says this doesn't make sense. He says he'll have to call he office and ask because the last one he tried to do was denied.

Tells me he'll call and let me know tomorrow. He then tells me to pay for the diagnosis and say he'll credit me if head office says it's covered. I told him I imagine not paying as it is covered.

I get back in the car to leave and now the car won't start.

Glow plug lights is on and it stalls just after turning over. The tech is having a look at it now.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
The car eventually started back up. It was throwing a camshaft position sensor code. Supposed to hear back today if they will cover the DPF under the new warranty or not.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The car eventually started back up. It was throwing a camshaft position sensor code. Supposed to hear back today if they will cover the DPF under the new warranty or not.
SO.... the first car that we hear of having an issue that the warranty covers.... AND VW is jerking you around on it?

It is specifically covered... doesn't matter if it was already dead prior to the fix being done. You got the fix, it then was diagnosed as dead.... so it's covered.

If you haven't already, contact the settlement lawyers. Make sure they know what's going on.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
So I contacted VW customer care earlier about the dealership not provding me with a loaner for the diagnosis of the CEL. The customer care rep called me back saying the dealership wont return her calls. I ended up just making an appointment for thursday evening when they are open later.

I will call customer care to follow up with what happened. I will need to look up the contact information for the lawyers because I think that's where this is headed.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
WHO IS MY LAWYER (CLASS COUNSEL)?
The law firms representing all Settlement Class Members are listed below:
Sutts, Strosberg LLP
(Co-Lead Counsel)
600-251 Goyeau St.
Windsor, ON N9A 6V4
Siskinds LLP
(Co-Lead Counsel)
302-100 Lombard St.
Toronto, ON M5C 1M3
Belleau Lapointe LLP
(Québec Class Counsel)
306 D’Youville Place (B-10)
Montréal, QC H2Y 2B6
Roy O’Connor LLP
2300-200 Front St. W.
Toronto, ON M5V 3K2
Koskie Minsky LLP
900-20 Queen St. W., Box 52
Toronto, ON M5H 3R3
Camp Fiorante Matthews Mogerman
400-856 Homer St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 2W5
Rochon Genova LLP
900-121 Richmond St. W.
Toronto, ON M5H 2K1
McKenzie Lake Lawyers LLP
1800-140 Fullarton St.
London, ON N6A 5P2
Branch MacMaster LLP
1410-777 Hornby St.
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1S4
You will not be charged for contacting these lawyers. Class Counsel can be reached by
telephone at:
 Canadian residents except for Québec: 1-866-881-2292 or 1-844-425-2934; and
 Québec residents and French inquiries: 1-888-987-6701.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
So I contacted VW customer care earlier about the dealership not provding me with a loaner for the diagnosis of the CEL. The customer care rep called me back saying the dealership wont return her calls. I ended up just making an appointment for thursday evening when they are open later.

I will call customer care to follow up with what happened. I will need to look up the contact information for the lawyers because I think that's where this is headed.
Thats fuc*ed! Are you at Bramgate?

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
Just got mine done yesterday at Dixie VW. Very good service, unlike Miss** VW where i bought the car from. Car runs fine, so far so good and looking forward to a tune from Malone

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
Question

So far I have not chosen an option, but I am leaning toward keeping the car until the last minute, then selling it back. Playing with the calculator it seems that for me (already at 224,000km) continuing to pay my loan each month is like putting money in the bank - I get it back when VW buy the car off me next year. No depreciation. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

norm15

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Anyone that has gotten the fix here in Canada, do they give you a cheque as soon as the work is done or is it mailed to you?