WTB: 2000-2003 5sp TDI Wagon

kestromb

TDI
2003 Silver Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2005 GLI
Ever since I wrecked my built out 2002 GLS sedan I have been dying to get another TDI. I currently am driving a 2005 GLI with a tune, it's fine but I want my MPGs back and some more storage for longer hauls. I am in Raleigh, NC but would be open to driving (400-500 miles) to pick one up. Would love to find one with leather seats, manual and if I'm wishing, a recent timing belt change. Let me know what you got!!!

Thanks.

bigdogtruck

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagons (2)
I am in San Diego, California...I have a 2004 Jetta TDI GL wagon for sale. It is black on black with 233,000 miles, manual transmission. Timing belt was done at 190,000 miles for the second time. It runs and drives beautifully. The car came with a cloth interior. I upgraded the driver's seat (and of course the dash and wiring) so I could have a heated leather seat. I have a guy on the line with a used passenger seat and am planning on installing it as well so the front two seats will both be heated and leather. The car has not needed much work over the years. I bought it from a TDI guy up in Northern California. I live in So. Cal. NO rust. Has a Panzer PLate. It has a CAT fuel filter system in it. 2 years ago I had to hood repainted and added new glass head lamps and new grill so it looks sharp. I replaced the clutch about 80,000 miles ago. Everything on it seems to be in great shape. I am not a mechanic so I don't fiddle with it, but I have done my due diligence as far as always changing oil at about 8,000 miles with Liqui Moly full synthetic. The guy before me did the same. (The PO bought the car new. I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. It is my daily driver) I have the original radio to give you and replaced it with a nicer one but the antenna seems to be weak and I suspect you will need to replace either the antenna or the wiring from the radio to the antenna. I did not bother because I stream Pandora and don't care about my radio reception. It has a trailer hitch and I tow a 300 pound tiny trailer sometimes. I upgraded to Alloy wheels. It got new Michelin Tires about a year ago. I regularly get 40mpg. Rarely much better than 41 and never worse than 38. I am planning on detailing the car this weekend and taking a bunch of photos then. I will also be posting it for sale on this forum, CL and probably Ebay.

Flaws: headliner is drooping, some scratches on the paint. If I don't get the other leather seat for you there is a tear in the cloth manual passenger seat. The lower part of the front bumper doesn't clip into the bracket very well so I put it on with zip ties. There is a bit of Parking lot rash on the bumper. Some of the dark window film has a few small scratches. It does not have the cargo cover.

We bought this car and loved it so much that we bought another 2004 Jetta TDI wagon for my wife. That car is an automatic and has less than half the miles on it that my car does. She bought a new electric car so it is time for this one to go. I will be driving her TDI after that. I truly hate to sell it because the milage with the manual transmission is so much better but it doesn't seem practical to sell the "newer" car and keep the older one. You can email me at bigbordercollie@gmail.com if you want photos or to talk before I get it posted.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want an ALH '02 and '03 are the only years. '04-'05 (and '06 in Canada) are PDs. And there aren't a lot of '02s around. Look for a car that, ideally, has had one owner and has been well maintained. That's more important than total mileage.

And FWIW, I was thinking last weekend how it would be nice to find a pristine ALH Jetta Wagon to replace mine. However, then I realized that my '15 is a better car than the '02 in many ways. So if you can't find a good Jetta Wagon a Golf Sportwagen may be another option. There are some bought-back ones around that are now getting re-sold. Manuals are hard to find, but they're out there.

OneVWTDIGUY!

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Ever since I wrecked my built out 2002 GLS sedan I have been dying to get another TDI. I currently am driving a 2005 GLI with a tune, it's fine but I want my MPGs back and some more storage for longer hauls. I am in Raleigh, NC but would be open to driving (400-500 miles) to pick one up. Would love to find one with leather seats, manual and if I'm wishing, a recent timing belt change. Let me know what you got!!!

Thanks.
I’m getting ready to retire and unfortunately need to sell my 2003, 5-speed, Reflex Silver, TDI GLS Wagon (148,500 miles) which I bought new in Newport News, Virginia (near Yorktown and Williamsburg Virginia) where I currently still live. So not that far from Raliegh, NC. Asking $7,250. I saw this car one weekend in late 2002 in the back of a dealer’s lot just after it had been delivered from Germany and fell in love with it immediately.Basically, it came with every option available on the Jetta TDIs then including: GLS package with air and power glass sunroof, power windows and heated outside mirrors; leather interior package with heated front seats and heated windshield washers; Monsoon Sound system: and of course 5-speed with cruise and other controls on leather wrapped steering wheel. I think it looks as great today as it did then (no rust or accidents and it has been in southeast VA since new).

I’ve updated with VA legal tinted side and rear windows (50% VLT Front and 20% VLT Rear and Back) which make it look even better than new with the silver paint, as well as being very functional; additional inputs into the OEM stereo system for satellite radio and direct audio input; really nice Dash Z racing LED headlights and Euro style LED taillights; Stage 1 Tune and K&N filter (mild ECU tune which really helps highway passing and acceleration with no fuel mileage penalty).

In the past few years I have had all the normal suspension components refurbished (ball joints, control arms, tie rods and bushings), as well as engine mounts and all vacuum hoses and serpentine belt replaced again recently. I just had the headliner replaced with Euro spec material. Complete timing belt and water pump/pulley service and replacement was at 90K.

The front leather and heated seat covers were replaced with new upgraded (heating units as originals tended to short out) units by VW a few years ago as part of a service recall so the heated seats as well as the rest of the interior looks almost brand new. There is some slight discoloration on the top of the center console, but I have a new OEM one in a box which new owner can install whenever they want. VW and Weather Tech rubber mats throughout. It has just been inspected (9/18).

I have all service records and receipts since new, as well as the original dealer window sticker ($22,720). I have been fastidious about its maintenance, which was done by either the dealer or local VW/Audi shop. I still have the original head and tail lights and air intake assemblies which were removed and these all go with it.
I can also be reached at onetdiguy@hotmail.com if you are interested in buying or discussing and want more information or pictures (some are included on my TDI photo album).

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I saw that. And I've looked at another TDI at that dealer. If the Golf I looked at is any indication they over promise and under deliver. However, that car looks pretty nice. And although I have a stock pile of parts for MKIV cars (mine, not IDParts), I wouldn't be thrilled about going through the mods process one more time.

kestromb

TDI
2003 Silver Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2005 GLI
$10k is well outside of my price range. I am looking more in the $2k to $4k range. Ideally around $2500.

SMUG SLUG

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Sportwagen, 03 Jetta Wagon
you are going to get a car that needs $3k worth of work for $2500.......

I bought a wagon for $4k and it needed a bunch to get it right. I think oneVWTDIguy's car is a steal. I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it.