Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
VW of A reached me.

This might be very helpful in dealing with VW of A.
A zone manager called me today. Said he talked to the service dept. manager at my local VW dealer. The service dept. is going to look at my brakes tomorrow. I can repeat the brake shuddering from around 65-70 mph. I'm not sure a service tech can detect all this from being on a lift. I hope they get my car up to interstate speed and briskly apply the brakes(especially when brakes are warm). I'll let you know the results! If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Got my jetta back after VWofA replaced the front rotors. All the difference in the world. The higher up the customer service ladder I got the nicer the people were to me. They are supposed to call me tomorrow to see if I am pleased with the repair.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Surprised they didn't do all four just to keep you out of their hair.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I know

Surprised they didn't do all four just to keep you out of their hair.
I thought I could feel the rears pulsating as well as the fronts but they don't appear to be after the new front rotors. I got it up to interstate speed and "crowded" the brakes twice. No pulsing.

VWofA called today and I told them I was happy with the repair and thanked them for helping.

I am not pleased with the ride quality or cabin quietness though. I can feel EVERY imperfection in the road and the road noise and truck noise on the interstate is pretty loud.

I don't want to live with this for 10 years and 150k miles! I don't care if it gets 60mpg! I've riden in a Prius and they had a loud, choppy ride IMHO. I like a quiet, smooth ride. My 27 yr. old Buick Reatta is quiet and smooth and it is an antique!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The Reatta was also considered a more 'upscale' car than the VWs. Are you comparing the ride quality and noise to the 09 Jetta or the 12 JSW? Two totally different beasts. A co-workers have an 09 Loyal (turned in) and a 12 SE (gasser) sedans, the 12 is a lot noisier than the 09.

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The ride of my Trendline on 15" wheels is really smooth over bumps.

Maybe consider downsizing your wheels.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
09 vs 12

The Reatta was also considered a more 'upscale' car than the VWs. Are you comparing the ride quality and noise to the 09 Jetta or the 12 JSW? Two totally different beasts. A co-workers have an 09 Loyal (turned in) and a 12 SE (gasser) sedans, the 12 is a lot noisier than the 09.
Yes, the '09 was VERY smooth. The '12 JSW was an SEL and only had 22K on it when bought and 40K when turned in. The wagon was a bit noisier but I attributed that to it being a wagon. I was VERY pleased with both of those cars.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Smaller wheels?

The ride of my Trendline on 15" wheels is really smooth over bumps.

Maybe consider downsizing your wheels.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
I found out smaller tires make for a bumpier ride on farm equipment and zero turns. I didn't know smaller wheels would make for a quieter ride in a Jetta.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I bought my GSW I considered asking the dealer to swap the OE 16s for 15s off a TSI. But those wheels are ugly, so I stuck with the 16s. I've driven a MKVII Golf with 18s and the ride is much less compliant than the same car on 16s.

For this reason (and inexpensive tires) I've always stuck with 15s on my MKIV cars, except for track use.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I'd like to upgrade to either 16's or 17's because I find the 15's too soft in the corners.

Leaning towards 16's because:

a) Cheaper tires
b) Better ride
c) Suits the personality of the TDI better

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
I'd like to upgrade to either 16's or 17's because I find the 15's too soft in the corners.

a) Cheaper tires
b) Better ride
so... what you're telling me is that my wife is gonna kick my arse when I replace her summer 18s with her winter 15" snows. :eek:

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Wetskier, the 15" will ride smoother because there is more sidewall on the tire to absorb road imperfections.

As for epssax and his road noise, there are many factors. Tread design and rubber hardness are two large contributors to the noise your own tires make. Do some research when it comes time to replace your tires and simply put ones on that have good reviews for road noise.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG

a) Cheaper tires
b) Better ride
Too bad you aren't closer to me, I have the 16in Conti-Pro Contacts off my wagen to sell. Putting my winters on the factory wheels that came on the car.

so... what you're telling me is that my wife is gonna kick my arse when I replace her summer 18s with her winter 15" snows. :eek:
I hope she isn't going to be worried about corning speed in the snow. :D

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope she isn't going to be worried about corning speed in the snow. :D
DING, DING, DING!!!!!!!!!! In the spring she bugs me at the first hint of a warm up to swap on her summer tires. Me: "snow is still very likely"... her:
"ughhh"..

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Someone has some 15's for sale locally off brand new stop sale car. PM me if interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Are VW dealers offering any financing deals on the used 2014-15's? I know they were on the stop sale cars, but couldn't remember what the deal was on the used ones. Getting about time to turn in my 2014 Passat TDI SEL and I'd like to replace it with a 2015.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There aren't any '14s for sale except for cars that were individually owned and are up for sale, fixed or not. VW does not have authorization to fix and re-sell any 2014 or earlier 2.0 liter TDIs. At least not yet.

I don't know if there are any financing deals now available on the 2015s. Despite what people said at the time, the previously untitled cars with rebates turned out to be a pretty good deal. Dealers are charging similar or higher prices for bought back and fixed 2015s that have miles on them.

Last edited:

Ripster

TDI
As previously stated, are dealers offering any financing deals on used TDI's?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Not certain. I got a new 2015 and the rebate of $5000 was for financing through VW. Not certain if that would also apply to used ones. Maybe check with a dealer?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If you asked in the thread for USED sales, rather than NEW sales (it's even in all caps in the thread title), you might get a better response.

Ripster

TDI
If you asked in the thread for USED sales, rather than NEW sales (it's even in all caps in the thread title), you might get a better response.
I didn't see the used thread. I mistakenly thought they had been combined.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I did. They maybe don't look as nice but the 15's are more practical in my opinion.
I bought 15" alum close outs from TireRack for 74 bucks each, 354.00 shipped to my door. I found those far more palatable than the beat to crap wheels I saw on CL in 15". Does the whole world smash into the curb regularly? :rolleyes:

hiroler

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2015 Passat SE
That's what I did. They maybe don't look as nice but the 15's are more practical in my opinion.
Can I fit 15's with the 195/65r15 on my '15 Passat SE? There's a guy locally selling winter tires/wheels off an older Passat. TIA

Last edited: