Injector Upgrade Question

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
So I've finally gotten 80% of my maintenance taken care of my Jetta (Only small things left now) and now I'm looking to give it some power. Just need to ask you guys a couple simple questions before I drop $350-500!

I'm going for a stage 3 Malone tune and I've narrowed it down to either DLC764's or DLC1019's. The 1019's are out of stock as far as I've seen from the big mainstream places, but I've been told that I can get as good mileage from the 764's. Should I just go ahead and grab the 764's or wait on the 1019's?

Second question, Chris at Kerma kept stressing on paying for their pop testing and calibration service, but is it a good deal? I can get them pop tested here for $50. He offered me $476 for the 764's with the service. (He price matched the 1019's and gave me a discount on the service)

Car is a daily driver and economy is a priority over power.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Having "locals" install and pop test my new nozzled injectors in the past has yielded some crappy results from ruined bodies to leaking nozzles to flow rates all over the board between nozzles of up to 24%. These were not Bosio nozzles however and I will never do that again. What I have learned from all this is have DBW install and flow test your new investment and do it right (I believe this is what kerma does anyway so this is the right move) and DBW can give you the doctoral thesis on why this is important. Also, no warranty on the nozzles if not installed by them so this alone is a factor. YMMV.
If it were me, with a stage 3 tune, I'd lean towards the DLC1019. Either way would probably be fine if calibration on these nozzles is set to stage one.

Last edited:

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Having "locals" install and pop test my new nozzled injectors in the past has yielded some crappy results from ruined bodies to leaking nozzles to flow rates all over the board between nozzles of up to 24%. These were not Bosio nozzles however and I will never do that again. What I have learned from all this is have DBW install and flow test your new investment and do it right (I believe this is what kerma does anyway so this is the right move) and DBW can give you the doctoral thesis on why this is important. Also, no warranty on the nozzles if not installed by them so this alone is a factor. YMMV.
If it were me, with a stage 3 tune, I'd lean towards the DLC1019. Either way would probably be fine if calibration on these nozzles is set to stage one.
Thanks! Just looking to get first-hand knowledge from the gurus before possibly jumping into a possible scam service. :)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
DLC1019s, installed and tested by DBW - DONE!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Get your maintenance 100% done before you start tuning

You won't notice a MPG difference between 1019's and 764's - If it was me, I'd go straight for R520's and be done :).

With a tune and nozzles, you'll need a clutch which I didn't see in your plans. A tune only or nozzles only will keep your stock clutch happy, but both will make it sad :(.

If you have to choose only one, my opinion is to go with a tune only as there's more advantages in a tune only than nozzles only and they're about the same cost.

boertje said:
.....and DBW can give you the doctoral thesis on why this is important.
......as long as you don't want the bibliography :)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have PP764's (.230's) that were done by DBW 50k miles ago, and I have no complaints; I am actually the second owner of these nozzles/injectors. To me the best part is, if for some reason the nozzles/injectors go wonky he will make them like new again for $100.00 for the first 5 years of their service. Peace of mind has no price tag for someone my age.
My previous nozzles were .205's and without a change in the tune, my fuel economy is almost identical and I have a lot more power. Oh, current tune is a Stage 3 set up for a VNT-15 and the .205 nozzles. I currently have a 17/56 with the .230's, and I could not believe with the same tune how much stronger the engine would pull.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Main goal of this car is highest mileage possible so R520's don't fare too well compared to DLC1019's, from what I've read. When I got a manual swap, I asked my mechanic to throw in a VR6 clutch so I already got that taken care of.

As for other injector brands, I haven't really looked at any since the most used I see are Bosio's. I'd love to get some insight on other brands which might help me accomplish my goal too though!

(Sorry for the late reply, TDIClub doesn't send me notifications!)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
When I got a manual swap,
You've very likely got an 11mm pump, so you can run much larger nozzles without suffering a loss in atomization. With that in mind, r520 is the smallest I'd consider when buying new.

If they smoke, your tuner isn't worth the money you gave them.

I've got a 10mm pump through pp764s now, and they are nowhere near enough.

kryptykr6

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
You've very likely got an 11mm pump, so you can run much larger nozzles without suffering a loss in atomization. With that in mind, r520 is the smallest I'd consider when buying new.
Right now I am running 12v injector nozzles in mine with stock ECU. I think my clutch is stock however it isn't supposed to be able to handle the amount of power I have thrown into it. Have about 200 miles on the setup so far. Running very good. Has incredible amounts of power but thats also because my VNT actuator stopped working and I had to disconnect it. The pump can easily handle that amount of fuel with no issues. Obviously however it can smoke out a big cummins or powerstroke as if it were the same sized engine. I call it "The little engine that definitely could and wants too" :D. But definitely make sure you have an EGT gauge to monitor temps if you run big injectors. Aluminum and heat do not go well at all!

Last edited:

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure my mechanic didn't swipe my stock 11mm pump and swap it out. :p

Don't have the tune or the injectors yet. Talking with DBW about costs right now for the 1019's. :)

Mike_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I am considering the same nozzles - originally leaning toward 1019s.

What is the downside of r520s? Lower MPGs than 1019s, nasty cold idle smoke, etc?

Not sure of the difference between a 1019 on a higher flow setting like 4 vs a r520 on a lower flow setting like 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Ganoid

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp
I recently swapped from 764's to R520's. My mileage is unchanged (commute 55 miles per day to work) but It did make a change in the cars power. Before it was 175/330 after the nozzle swap (no change to the tune) it made 190/345. Just for grins the dyno guy wanted to run it in 5th gear which yielded 186/357 (I'm sure we had a little heat soak going on by then). If i could go back and start from scratch I would be with the other guys "R520 all the way".

Mike_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I recently swapped from 764's to R520's. My mileage is unchanged (commute 55 miles per day to work) but It did make a change in the cars power. Before it was 175/330 after the nozzle swap (no change to the tune) it made 190/345. Just for grins the dyno guy wanted to run it in 5th gear which yielded 186/357 (I'm sure we had a little heat soak going on by then). If i could go back and start from scratch I would be with the other guys "R520 all the way".
Thank you for your feedback