clutch judder

b21playa

TDI
Seat Leon se tdi (ASV)
hi all

i have a mk5 golf 1.9 105bhp

clutch does not slip at all

at idle i can hear rattling in the box, when i depress clutch, rattle goes.

also when getting to biting point thee is juddering

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
Rattle could be either through out bearing or DMF (dual mass flywheel). I had mine replaced in april. I didn't have any rattle but was juddering more and more. I had a SACHS SMF kit installed. Very smooth but because of the SMF I have a little rattle noise. Sometimes it bothers me a bit but I knew that it would do that little rattle. Now I don't have to worry about DMF anymore. My car has 175,000km.

Good luck

Luc
Montreal, Canada

b21playa

TDI
Seat Leon se tdi (ASV)
vwluca said:
Rattle could be either through out bearing or DMF (dual mass flywheel). I had mine replaced in april. I didn't have any rattle but was juddering more and more. I had a SACHS SMF kit installed. Very smooth but because of the SMF I have a little rattle noise. Sometimes it bothers me a bit but I knew that it would do that little rattle. Now I don't have to worry about DMF anymore. My car has 175,000km.

Good luck

Luc
Montreal, Canada
mine has 110k miles on the clock, and had a new clutch from vw @ 86k.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Sounds like the DMF is on it's way out. If you didn't have it replaced when you did your clutch @86k then it's the most likely culprit. But, judders and the like can also result from a clogged fuel filter. You might be having both issues simultaneously.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Sounds like the DMF is on it's way out. If you didn't have it replaced when you did your clutch @86k then it's the most likely culprit. But, judders and the like can also result from a clogged fuel filter. You might be having both issues simultaneously.
x2 on the dual mass flywheel. It is on its way out and you are going to have to replace it before it self destructs. If it does self destruct it could damge your transmission housing which will be expensive. VW may have just replaced the clutch and not the flywheel. Do a search for DMF failures, they are pretty common I'm afraid.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
The term 'juddering' is new to me. Can someone elaborate what it is and when it occurs? Also, is it strictly a DMF issue or limited to manual gearboxes?