Bad turbo...Run away engine

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
2001 AHL

So I installed a used turbo which apparently wasn't in as good of a condition as the seller said. Anyways the car ran fine for a day and then while I was adjusting the VNT rod (car was idling) the turbo seals blew and resulted in a run away engine. It took me about 30seconds to get the car stopped, but because it was sitting in neutral the RPMs went through the roof. The motor drank about half of the oil, but didn't run completely out.

I installed a new turbo and got the car running again, however it doesn't run the way it used to.

Symptoms:

Upon first starting, the car wouldn't rev above 3k. When it hit higher RPMs the car would shutter and then idle very rough...almost felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. Also, lots and lots of smoke. After running the car a little longer and revving it I got the engine to rev up to 5k, but its by no means a "smooth" transition from 1k to 5k. A lot of times it'll get "stuck" at around 3k and then if I let off the throttle a little then hit it again the motor will rev very fast to 5k. The last straw was when I looked under the car and saw oil coming out of the downpipe, not a lot, but enough to make me concerned that there is some serious engine damage. Since I got the motor to rev to 5k or so, the smoke cleared up considerably.

Also, when everything cleared up for a little bit I attempted to drive it and there is no power at all...feels a lot like a dead maf (vag-com says maf is fine).

I'm thinking the high RPMs might have killed the injection pump along with bending rods/valves in the engine.

My current thinking is get a long block and when I have time rebuild the messed up motor.

Thoughts?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that!
I've sold a couple of the complete engines, which when you sell the injection pump etc... are less expensive than getting a longblock. :)
Let me know if I can help you out. I do have longblocks though if you need one.
Cheers!
-BB

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Did you remove the glowplugs and drain the oil from the cylinders before you started the car? How about the intercooler piping?

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
No, didn't pull the glow plug but I did completely drain the oil out of the car and then put new oil in. I'll pull the plugs and I'm also going to check the case relief valve. Wish me luck!

Edit: Yes, the FMIC was completely drained...what a mess.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You should perform a compression test. Then, if compressin is low on one or more, you should either get a relacement motor or pull the head and check the piston hight of all four at TDC and if OK, check for bent valves. If height varies, a rod must be bent.

You should check the valves as well, or have a machine shop do it if you don't have the tools to get them out. I think if you find any that are bent, the valve guides should be replaced.

--Nate

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
PDJetta said:
You should perform a compression test. Then, if compressin is low on one or more, you should either get a relacement motor or pull the head and check the piston hight of all four at TDC and if OK, check for bent valves. If height varies, a rod must be bent.

You should check the valves as well, or have a machine shop do it if you don't have the tools to get them out. I think if you find any that are bent, the valve guides should be replaced.

--Nate
Harbor freight has their diesel compression tester on sale this week for 17.99. Worth it if it only does its job once.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
darkscout said:
Harbor freight has their diesel compression tester on sale this week for 17.99. Worth it if it only does its job once.
mine has made it four times... it looks like it might even make it a fifth time!

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Ya, I just ordered a compresion testor...can't hurt :)

The case relief valve had "walked" so I just reset it and I'm about to retest the car. Either way I'll end up pressure testing everything to see if there is any possible damage.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Don't have the compression testor yet, but i checked on vag-com message block 13 and here's the numbers after idling for a couple minutes.

.15, .80, -.47, -.45

That can't be good...

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I would be less worried about the pump than the valves and such. You could have knocked loose some intake crap that got into the cylinders and smacked a valve. Not to mention the other things.

No used pulling the glow plugs now, the 'damage' is done. Wait until you have the tester.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Ok, did a compression test... I cranked the engine for 5 seconds for each.

#1 - 340psi, #2 - 340psi, #3 - 400psi, #4 - 0 :eek:

On the #4 cylinder it would bounce up to about 100psi and then immediately drop after I turned over the engine.

So......I definitely have issues and will start ripping into the engine later tonight or tomorrow, what do you guys think is the problem with #4?