Auto Transmission compatibility

worthbrown

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I have a 2005 Passat TDI with 250K miles and transmission went out. I realize that a reman or manual conversion would be best, but just can't afford those. I'm looking for a used transmission and none to be found for TDI for reasonable price. I am finding several Passats parting out with same body style but not TDI's. Are there any gas engine transmissions that will work in my TDI?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The gear ratio will be wrong for starters. The engine ECU and transmission TCM are also a "matched" set in that they talk to one another and have certain expectations. You can't swap them out with different parts without a programming change on both ends.

worthbrown

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Of course, a used tranny for gas passat $300 and for my TDI is $2800.
So the only tranny that would work is from a 2004-2005 Passat TDI, correct? Or are there other TDI years or cars (or Audi) that would work also?
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Are you installing it yourself? If so you can save some money. If not by the time you find a used transmission, and pay someone to install it, you might as well get a new one or convert it to a manual. You can put an inexpensive manual from a 5 speed gasser to get you going.

FWIW, I have a used one with 240k miles on it and it showed no codes or running issues when it was pulled.

worthbrown

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Not installing myself. Mechanic quoted $4700 parts and labor for reman. I found a used trans for $2800 and I would have labor on top of that. If that is the best I can do, then I won't fix it. It doesn't make sense to spend 3 or 4 grand on a car thats worth maybe 5000. Thats why I was asking about other year or models working because I see many parts cars and trans is 300-600 but not TDI's.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
$2800 for a used transmission is crazy. VW list for a new/rebuilt one is around $3500 and you can get one from boraparts.com for $3178. I can't imagine anyone would pay much more than $500-$1000 for a used one.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yes, getting a new/rebulit one from VW would be much smarter than a reman one.

worthbrown

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
No, what I'm saying is that I shouldn't pay more than $1500-$1800 to fix this car. With a new transmission it is only worth about $5000 so spending $4000+ on the transmission is not a good financial decision. If this were not a B5 TDI, I could get this done for much less. It is a shame because I have fixed or upgraded most of the typical engine/turbo issues this car usually has.

plupien79

TDI
2013 Passat SE
These transmissions are WAY too expensive if you ask me. ESP when the only REAL difference is the final drive ratio.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
No, what I'm saying is that I shouldn't pay more than $1500-$1800 to fix this car. With a new transmission it is only worth about $5000 so spending $4000+ on the transmission is not a good financial decision. If this were not a B5 TDI, I could get this done for much less. It is a shame because I have fixed or upgraded most of the typical engine/turbo issues this car usually has.
So if it's worth 5K & costs $4700 to fix then sell it to me as is for $500. :)

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
On the other hand go see how far 4k will go on a new one!
And what problems it may develop no matter what brand!
This car fixed would likely outlast a lot of the new stuff out there today.
My $.02

foxiecharles

TDI
2005 Golf with TREK on back- let's RIDE
do you know anyone in the S.East that can switch my auto tranny in my 2006 jetta TDI to manl., pls - thanks for the recomendation

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
do you know anyone in the S.East that can switch my auto tranny in my 2006 jetta TDI to manl., pls - thanks for the recomendation
This is the B5.5 Passat Forum. You might want to try in the MK IV or the Southeast Regional Forums. Since manuals were available in the Jettas on this side of the pond, it should be pretty straightforward.

From the Trusted TDI Mechanics list: http://www.isc-sc.com/index.php/services. Just up the road from you.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
You have a DSG in your MK V. You don't want to do a swap in that car. For the most part the DSGs are getting some serious longevity.
Now swap a DSG into my Passat Wagon. Sign me up.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
If the only difference with the gasser tranny is the final drive, could not the drive from the TDI tranny be swapped into the gasser transmission?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
How about swap it for manual. That's what I would do because manuals are way better.