Key, Computer, Radio, Odometer Question

claybreaker 144

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I am working on a JSW project and have questions about component interchangeability. I have parts from 2010 & 2011 models and would like to use an ignition switch from one model and computer from another.
Is the odometer mileage data stored in the computer or instrument cluster?
What kind of issues will I have with swapping radios between vehicles?
Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I am working on a JSW project and have questions about component interchangeability. I have parts from 2010 & 2011 models and would like to use an ignition switch from one model and computer from another.
Is the odometer mileage data stored in the computer or instrument cluster?
What kind of issues will I have with swapping radios between vehicles?
Thanks
The 2010 and 2011 JSWs will probably have the same ignition switch, so this won't be where your problems will occur. Mileage is stored in the instrument cluster (this is the most important one), but it is also stored in the ECU (Engine controller). Many savvy car buyers will check both to see if they agree. The instrument cluster also contains the immobilizer functions. You need the right ignition switch for the metal part of the key PLUS you need the RFID chip in the key fob to match the instrument panel. Make sure that you keep the right key fobs with the right instrument cluster. Only VW (and a few locksmiths) can reprogram keys and only a few people can do an immobilizer delete on an instrument panel.

As for the radio swap, I'm not sure where the radio codes are stored or how much trouble it would be to get radio codes from VW.

Have Fun!

Don

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Only VW (and a few locksmiths) can reprogram keys
I also can program keys, cluster and ECU on newer cars till 2014.

and only a few people can do an immobilizer delete on an instrument panel.
Immo delete is only possible in ECU to make car running.
In instrument cluster is not possible on MK4.
On MK5 and MK6 it is possible to delete immobilizer but car will have to many errors as ABS and some other modules looking for VIN number, So going with Immo delete in Cluster is not solution at all.Plus car will never start with Immo deleted only in cluster , to start car immo delete needs to be done in ECU.

On CR cars 2009 + , Immo delete in ECU is not only thing you need to do, It will need to recalibrate injectors each time you change ECU and regenerate DPF.

claybreaker 144

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I used the wiring harness from a 2011 in a 2010 body. Added a DPF delete and Malone Tune I used the 2010 ECU and the rest of the components from the 2011. I used the 2010 ECU to keep the VIN and original mileage.
I received the ECU back after the tune and the car would only run with the key in the start position and had the Immobilizer Active message. I returned the ECU to have the immobilizer deleted and recoded for a manual transmission but it turns out they can't delete the immobilizer from the ECU.
I thought I could install the 2010 parts (ignition, immobilizer and cluster and I would be good to go but it would appear the ignition immobilizer was changed and relocated from 2010 to 2011. I haven't seen pictures of the 2011 ignition immobilizer but I couldn't find one that was similar to the one I found on the 2010. I am at a dead end unless I can have the tune transferred to the 2011 ECU.
Can anyone confirm the difference in the ignition immobilizer between the 2010 and 2011 model years?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I used the wiring harness from a 2011 in a 2010 body. Added a DPF delete and Malone Tune I used the 2010 ECU and the rest of the components from the 2011. I used the 2010 ECU to keep the VIN and original mileage.
I received the ECU back after the tune and the car would only run with the key in the start position and had the Immobilizer Active message. I returned the ECU to have the immobilizer deleted and recoded for a manual transmission but it turns out they can't delete the immobilizer from the ECU.
I thought I could install the 2010 parts (ignition, immobilizer and cluster and I would be good to go but it would appear the ignition immobilizer was changed and relocated from 2010 to 2011. I haven't seen pictures of the 2011 ignition immobilizer but I couldn't find one that was similar to the one I found on the 2010. I am at a dead end unless I can have the tune transferred to the 2011 ECU.
Can anyone confirm the difference in the ignition immobilizer between the 2010 and 2011 model years?
OK, I am little lost here.

I can fix this but I need to know what did you do and what car and year has what parts?
What is year is the car that you working on?
And what did you put in that car (What parts, Cluster Keys and ECU )?

BTW , Ignition switch has nothing to do with Immobilizer.
Cluster has built in Immobilizer and ECU has Immobilizer.

Last edited: