High mileage CR - post it up!

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
New to me..

I just bought a 2010 JSW with....wait for it... 206k miles. Its the only way we could afford one right now. I like tinkering so its a good fit.

Its ash load rang in at 219ml. So from reading a few of these cases I am thinking I will drive it for a few years before replacing it. We only drive about 20k miles a year.

Similar to other high mileage cars, I bought it from a small company that had a traveling salesman in the vehicle.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Airstream,
Congrats. Curious if you received a maintenance history with the car and if anything besides scheduled maintenance was performed?

Thanks!

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
I got a somewhat decent maintenance history. It seemed the only real repair it had for most of its life was a complete air conditioner overhaul last summer.

It was a small company that used this car for a salesman. Right before they sold it, they took it in to a vw shop and til them to go through it and fix everything. They did all maintenance including TB, dsg service, oil change etc; plus they replaced the DMF and the intake throttle body. This was all done at 206k miles. They should have done the exhaust flap also because they are replacing it for me now.

Other than that it drives amazing, especially coming from an ALH. I was worried because I had been test driving new JSW's and low mileage ones... And this one drives the same. (It feels like) makes sense though all highway doesn't take nearly the toll on these cars as repeated city.

The only bad thing was they said it had new tires on it, and they ended up being new winter tires... Haha.

Also in the above post I meant replace the dpf.... Not the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Airstream,
Congrats. Curious if you received a maintenance history with the car and if anything besides scheduled maintenance was performed?
Well, obviously scheduled maintenance wasn't performed, because the DPF should have been replaced a while ago. The schedule calls for it to be checked at 120k miles and replaced if necessary.
I got a somewhat decent maintenance history. It seemed the only real repair it had for most of its life was a complete air conditioner overhaul last summer.

It was a small company that used this car for a salesman. Right before they sold it, they took it in to a vw shop and til them to go through it and fix everything. They did all maintenance including TB, dsg service, oil change etc; plus they replaced the DMF and the intake throttle body. This was all done at 206k miles. They should have done the exhaust flap also because they are replacing it for me now.

Other than that it drives amazing, especially coming from an ALH. I was worried because I had been test driving new JSW's and low mileage ones... And this one drives the same. (It feels like) makes sense though all highway doesn't take nearly the toll on these cars as repeated city.
What this says is that the company didn't do much of the scheduled maintenance on time. The timing belt was due at 120k miles, and that was way over-shot. If they replaced the intake throttle body -- I believe they're referring to the intake manifold because of the common valve malfunction -- then it's probably been running quite a while with its check-engine light on. Which could explain part of the ash-load number. I've got that issue right now, and it's doing more frequent regens than usual.

I would also doubt, based on this poor service history, that they did the DSG fluid changes at anywhere near the 40k-mile intervals.

Good luck with the car.

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Wow frugality, way to be Debbie downer and to make a lot of assumptions off of little knowledge. The car was serviced at the dealer for about the first 100k miles. So yes it may have missed one DSG service. And no they did not replace the intake manifold, I have the part number on the service receipt for for the throttle body assembly.

And the ash load number doesn't need explanation it's on par for the mileage. And no the dpf doesn't need to be replaced at 120k miles, there have been many that go way over that service check.

In my mind this car has proven itself to be trust worthy thus far, and is now ready for me to baby it!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
According to the schedule, the DPF limit is 175ml. Yes you CAN go over. But I'm just saying that it wasn't maintained per the schedule as claimed.

If the TB was done at 206k, it's way over.

O.K., if it's actually the throttle body, then it's the throttle body.

It still sounds to me like the car was pretty well neglected, and then had to have bunch of work done to get it ready to sell. If it was well maintained, then you don't need to give it such an overhaul, you just wash it and vacuum it and put it up for sale.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The way the post read was that the VW dealer did that service prior to listing it. It in no way implies that any of the normal service was not done. They may have done the timing belt at 120K and thought it was a good idea to change it early sto make it more attractive to the new buyer.

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Thanks for your perspective frugality, it represents a worst case scenario any used car buyer should be ready for. I hope it makes you feel better about your vehicles. Heck by what your saying feel free to lengthen your maintenance schedule since my car lasted over 200k miles on one timing belt!!

I am happy with my purchase and the car drives excellent. Yes they were not anal retentive TDIclub members but not everyone can be. I got the car for a reduced price due to mileage and will be able to cover increased maintenance if it needs it. I do plan on possibly addressing the dpf in the next 6 months, but right now I am just going to drive it.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just sold a 2010 Jetta TDI w/6 Speed Manual and 180k miles. One owner car. He drove 150 miles every day for work and traded this car on a 2014 Jetta TDI 6 Speed. Regular maintenance had been performed on time every time. Only repairs/issues outside of regular maintenance was intercooler icing and when he traded it/I bought it, it needed an intake manifold flap motor which I replaced. Still original DPF and HPFP and Turbo. Runs and drives like a new one. Gets the highest fuel mileage I have ever seen on a stock CR Jetta. 48-50 mpg on the highway. I did the timing belt for the second time - it had been done at about 100k and the guy I was selling it to, wanted it done again for peace of mind.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I just sold a 2010 Jetta TDI w/6 Speed Manual and 180k miles. One owner car. He drove 150 miles every day for work and traded this car on a 2014 Jetta TDI 6 Speed. Regular maintenance had been performed on time every time. Only repairs/issues outside of regular maintenance was intercooler icing and when he traded it/I bought it, it needed an intake manifold flap motor which I replaced. Still original DPF and HPFP and Turbo. Runs and drives like a new one. Gets the highest fuel mileage I have ever seen on a stock CR Jetta. 48-50 mpg on the highway. I did the timing belt for the second time - it had been done at about 100k and the guy I was selling it to, wanted it done again for peace of mind.
I hear more stories like this outside of TDIClub than anything. These model year cars are starting to rack up miles, and the success stories definitely outnumber the failures. I know my 2010 Golf TDI just turned 120,000, and it still drives like the day I got it. The fuel mileage is actually the best it's ever been. It's almost like the motor is getting better with age, if that makes any sense. Who knows, maybe it's finally broken in :p

I just replaced my timing belt, water pump, serpentine, etc etc., and have always done all the regular maintenance interval stuff myself. The only things I have had to do at the dealer were the IC kit, and the exhaust flapper...both under warranty. The ONLY thing I had to replace myself was the radiator, but I think that was because of a deer that I hit and it just didn't look like it needed replacing at the time and I found out about 5,000 miles later that it did. Got my insurance to cover that though :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's the type of service life I'm looking forward to. I'm only half way there!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Shoot I bought my 2011 Golf with 30k on the clock about feb 26... It now has 35,507 on it as of today. I haven't had any issues at all except one somewhat hard start this past winter when it was SUPER COLD out.

Really looking forward to a nice long life of the car. I'm still giddy to go and drive the car day or night :D

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
My 2011 has 173,000 miles. The only problem I've had is RCV which this website enabled me to figure it out. Bought it brand new and it's been good to me so far. Knock on wood.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
I'm at 333,000 miles now. Since replacing the DPF/cat at 283,000 miles, I've unfortunately not seen better MPG's, but HAVE noticed less oil consumption...1 1/2 litres between oil changes instead of 2 or more prior to the new DPF. Also, way less regens, no more exhaust fumes inside the cabin, and quicker on take off. Overall, the car just seems happier! :) Now if I can just get some time and money to do the way overdue timing belt/water pump/et al. (Yes, I did get the first one done at 120,000.)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I'm at 333,000 miles now. Since replacing the DPF/cat at 283,000 miles, I've unfortunately not seen better MPG's, but HAVE noticed less oil consumption...1 1/2 litres between oil changes instead of 2 or more prior to the new DPF. Also, way less regens, no more exhaust fumes inside the cabin, and quicker on take off. Overall, the car just seems happier! :) Now if I can just get some time and money to do the way overdue timing belt/water pump/et al. (Yes, I did get the first one done at 120,000.)
Holy ****, AWESOME, did you go 283,000 on original DPF, how did you know to change it finally, usually it can back up and blow a turbo, did you use VAGCOM to tell you ash levels, how much was the new system DPF_CAT cost, I would love for you to tell us all about your car, I don't think I have heard of your year with those miles, THIS IS AWESOME...what brand fuel did you use, any additives along the way, please don't hold back any info...thanks...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Wow, sure are some high mileage cars out there. Just had a CR with 186K and PD with 223K come thru the shop. And plenty of 100k cars, gas and diesel.

Jason

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy ****, AWESOME, did you go 283,000 on original DPF, how did you know to change it finally, usually it can back up and blow a turbo, did you use VAGCOM to tell you ash levels, how much was the new system DPF_CAT cost, I would love for you to tell us all about your car, I don't think I have heard of your year with those miles, THIS IS AWESOME...what brand fuel did you use, any additives along the way, please don't hold back any info...thanks...
Appreciate your enthusiasm DieselRacer! As Killabee said, I've been posting here and in other threads about the particulars you asked about. You can click on my username if you'd like to get more info, but in a nutshell, no particular brand of fuel (usually whatever is lowest price) and did use Stanadyne briefly but nothing now for quite some time. Looking forward to another 200-300K. Plan to just keep driving (and driving and driving) until something needs to be replaced that costs more than the car is worth.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Great thread. Good news is always welcome. Keep on updating us on car's story and
Maintenance.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Well, the wagon came in again @ 417789 miles. Had burnt/worn starter solenoid contacts and turbo actuator diaphrame ruptured. After a couple parts and chaffed wiring behind the oil filter housing it left to go work some more.

Jason

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the wagon came in again @ 417789 miles. Had burnt/worn starter solenoid contacts and turbo actuator diaphrame ruptured. After a couple parts and chaffed wiring behind the oil filter housing it left to go work some more.

Jason
Looks like the guy is easing up on the miles a bit. I figured his average since your first post here has been 5285 miles/month. Do you know the build date of his 2010 JSW and if he is the original owner? Would sure like to see him post here on occasion (yeah I know he's obviously on the road most of the time!) but I'd like to see who actually has put on the most miles per year. Me or this dude. Yeah, I'm freakishly competitive for a female/chic/gal whatever.

So my build date was March 2010. Purchased in May 2010 with 262 miles on the odo (60 of which was my test drive). As of today I'm at 338,834 (I'm slowing down too) which averages 6760 per month.

Let the games begin! ;)