30K service and DPF ash load check

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ford F250 6.0, wifey has 2012 Jetta TDI
I went in for my 30K service today, just a few miles early as I am taking off on a driving vacation. At check in I asked if they would check the ash load on my DPF, they noted the request on the work order.

I have a little under 30K on the JSW after 9 months and 2 days of ownership. I drive a lot of highway miles and run 4 ounces of PS (Silver bottle) each fill up. There has been a lot of discussion here about whether PS, or any additive might be harmful to one's DPF. When they were finished servicing the wagen the advisor handed me a screen print from the ash load test. Almost 30K miles and I have a total load of 18.0 ml of ash and the printout reflects the maximum ash load is 175.0 ml.

At this rate, it appears I can, in theory, go to nearly 300,000 miles before the DPF is at the maximum load based off the amount of load I have.

The screen print also states that it will be necessary to replace the DPF in 157,000 km, or converted to miles 97,555 mi. Their system is clearly set to recommend replacement at 120K miles/ 200K km. At the rate I am currently producing ash I should still be below 100 ml ash when I reach 120K miles.

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe it is an 8 year/80K miles, I'll be well past the mileage cut off in two years.

Forgot to add the best part of today's service...met another forum member who was also waiting for his TDI to be serviced. Very cool, hi Bob.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
DPF Ash Load volume 175ml

I Almost 30K miles and I have a total load of 18.0 ml of ash and the printout reflects the maximum ash load is 175.0 ml.

At this rate, it appears I can, in theory, go to nearly 300,000 miles before the DPF is at the maximum load based off the amount of load I have.
&nbsp
MKT,Assuming that ash load accumulation is linear, looks like your dpf will last 300K miles. I'm going to get my next oil change done at the dealership and have them pull the same ash load test. Curious to see if my ash load is similar to yours. I'll be at 45K miles when I get mine down. If so, this may alleviate the DPF longevity concerns. I also want to compare the VCDS ash load volume to what the dealer test states.It was a pleasent surprise running in to you! Hope you have a safe and pleasent roadtrip....hope the roads are clear of snow and ice.Bob

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
From the Bentley manual:
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Maintenance+Schedule+-+2010+-+Jetta%2C+Jetta+SportWagen
Diesel particle filter: Only after 120,000 miles: Check ash loading according to manufacturer work procedure. Replace if necessary. Note: If DPF replacement is not necessary, perform check every 10,000 miles thereafter until replacement becomes necessary. Subsequent DPF replacement interval is a minimum of 120,000 miles, thereafter.
Only after 120,000 miles.

I can send my oil in for analysis at 3k miles, too, but what would be the point, since I know it'd be just fine?

Drive more. Analyze statistics less. :)

Also note that it says to check it for the first time at 120k, then every 10k thereafter. Replace it when it becomes ash loaded. Then it says not to bother checking the new DPF until another 120k miles have passed.

Your dealer likes you for giving them useless work to do, though. ;)

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Is this ash load test done with vagcom/vcds? Is this something a good indy shop can do, yielding the same sort of results/values as if done at the dealer? 45k miles on my JSW, 80% of them highway, I'm keen to see what my dpf is like.

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI
Sam, I understand this can be read via VCDS but I don't have one...yet. In the Diesel Emissions forum there is a thread about ash load with instructions on where to find the info IIRC.

CoganMan, I see you understand ;). In my case, with all the miles in 9 months and running an additive I really wanted to know if the additive was causing any ash build up issues as some have suggested could happen. In the same thread I referenced above they are tracking ash loads and mileages for a number of vehicles. The average seems to show about 1 ml of ash for each 1K miles and I am well under the average.

Frugality, I know you are stating the ash load only needs be checked at 120K miles but the print out I received from the dealer clearly states that the DPF needs to be replaced in 157000km (97,555 miles), not checked, replaced. Based off my current miles and the suggested replacement that would be just a hair over 120,000 miles. As long as my ash load remains constant I should have about 72 ml of ash build up at the specified mileage.

White10tdi

TDI
2010 DSG TDI
I checked my ash load this evening with my vcds and got the following:

DPF oil ash volume 48ml
Soot load calculated 15g

Car is a 2010 jetta tdi w/ dsg and 55,000 miles

TDI
2011 Black Golf TDI 4-door DSG 127,000 miles
A couple questions:

1. Does anyone know how much the DPF replacement is, or has anyone gone through it?

2. If DPF ash reaches 100%, will the vehicle stop operating normally, or just (finally) blow the lovely blue smoke I so long for, but likely fail emissions test...

Thanks for any imput as I'm seriously considering going back to a gasser (GTI or R). As much as I love my 2011 Golf TDI with 37K and all its nuances, it's pretty much a wash on a cost-per-mile perspective when one considers the ridiculous price of diesel, the additives, always searching for non-bio in the people's republic of IL, the dreaded 40K DSG service, worrying about an iced up intercooler and/or HPFP issues, and eventually having to replace the DPF. A gasser would be easier and more fun, but, it's oddly difficult letting go of the romance of the diesel. Oh well.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
A couple questions:

1. Does anyone know how much the DPF replacement is, or has anyone gone through it?

2. If DPF ash reaches 100%, will the vehicle stop operating normally, or just (finally) blow the lovely blue smoke I so long for, but likely fail emissions test...

Thanks for any imput as I'm seriously considering going back to a gasser (GTI or R). As much as I love my 2011 Golf TDI with 37K and all its nuances, it's pretty much a wash on a cost-per-mile perspective when one considers the ridiculous price of diesel, the additives, always searching for non-bio in the people's republic of IL, the dreaded 40K DSG service, worrying about an iced up intercooler and/or HPFP issues, and eventually having to replace the DPF. A gasser would be easier and more fun, but, it's oddly difficult letting go of the romance of the diesel. Oh well.
easier...possibly. more fun.....impossibility

aplyons

TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Wagon, I'm on my 3rd DPF with 75k highway miles. I'm perplexed, the dealer has no meaningful comment. I'm not doing anything unusual, no additives, no mods. Love the car but with the end of the emissions warranty in sight, the fun is gone. I'd love to know the answer. I have no independent diesel guru in my area (outside Phila.). I've read of a few other owners in this area who've struggled with this DPF issue. Maybe it's the fuel. I use only the green stuff.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
A couple questions:

Is this a DIY? where is the filter? My DSG has 200K on it and seems fine, so how can I check without a VCDS? Is there a procedure?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
A couple questions:

Is this a DIY? where is the filter? My DSG has 200K on it and seems fine, so how can I check without a VCDS? Is there a procedure?
What year car do you have? It can be fairly expensive. Probably not a DIY.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Need a VCDS or dealer system. you read the computer.

if it clogs, you will get lights, and sooner or later it will just clog up. you can find several folks here who have paid to have the DPF replaced. search is a great thing.

if you want the smoke, you have to violate the law, remove components, and have the computer reprogrammed (tuned)

And the DIY all depends on who the Y is. not a simple task, and you will need the VCDS for a few things after changing parts.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I think you worry too much. The biodiesel should protect your HPFP without any additional additives, and for the 40k service you should check with the forum-recommend independent mechanic in West Chicago and find out what he charges ( and let us know as well, please ;-) )

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I guess I could read the manual but can someone give me the cliff notes version of where/how I check the ash level with VCDS?

All I have done with the software so far is to scan for fault codes and reset them, oh that and keep the dealer honest who didn't bother to scan my car for a seat heater problem LOL

Thanks!

Analogeezer